Video Idea: Dual Rectifier 6L6 vs EL34

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaggertysMusic

Reaction score
Is there some interest in a side-by-side A/B comparison of the Dual Rectifier, one with 6L6's and one with EL34's? I searched the youtube archives and couldn't find anything doing a direct A/B comparison.

We can seamlessly transition from one to the other so you can really hear it like you would with an A/B switch. If you think this would be useful to people, please let me know and we'll make it happen. Also please feel free to suggest any ideas as to how you think it would be best presented!

EDIT: The video is now up and you can view it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPTtbk-b1H4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyrkR2mymrI

here's one informal one that someone has done on the 'tube

It would be a useful comparison in theory but the problem is that many 6L6s and EL-34s sound different from one another. I say go for it nonetheless but if you can, use the premium mesa STR-450s and STR-447s.

I would say, first they need to be plugged into the same type of cabinet. Dual rec 6l6s w/recto cab side A, Dual rec el34 w/recto cab side B. Or any other cab, just same one because cabinets will also make the sound different. It would also be helpful if the preamp tubes were about the same because they can also alter the sound a bit. I would put both dual recs(6l6/El34) on the same exact settings and compare them both with ABing. I would then tweak each amp to sound good or preference and compare them again with their new settings. Mic placement also has to be about the same for recording.

my single rec had 6l6's when i bought it then when i got new tubes i tried el34's and now i have kt77's in it and honestly each time it still sounds like the same beast

screamingdaisy said:
You managed to beat the dudes who're creeping on your youtube account and post the link before they did this time! :lol:

Hey I just happened to see it cause I subscribe!! :lol: :lol:

Great video by the way.

On the high gain channel I thought the most notable was on modern. Peaked my interest for trying the EL34s, I like the different texture. Thanks for the vid!

lailer75 said:
how about a stiletto-4x12 v Recto-4x12 compair-o.!!

That's a really good idea. There's a huge difference in the way those cabs sound. My only fear would be with having mics placed 6" or so from the speaker, are you really going to hear a difference between the cabs? Any other feedback or ideas on how to do this would be appreciated! Thanks for the idea.

Thanks for posting those! I'm surprised at the amount of difference you hear on the recording. That's exactly the difference I hear when sitting in front of them which makes me think it may be worthwhile to do an A/B comparison in video form. FWIW I almost always prefer the stiletto cab over the rectifier... except for brutal riffage! But my favorite all time cabinet is the rectifier 2x12. Two recto 2x12's > Any 4x12 in existence. It's the best and all of you should know it! :lol:

HaggertysMusic said:
Thanks for posting those! I'm surprised at the amount of difference you hear on the recording. That's exactly the difference I hear when sitting in front of them which makes me think it may be worthwhile to do an A/B comparison in video form. FWIW I almost always prefer the stiletto cab over the rectifier... except for brutal riffage! But my favorite all time cabinet is the rectifier 2x12. Two recto 2x12's > Any 4x12 in existence. It's the best and all of you should know it! :lol:

I have a Recto 4x12 and 2x12. I really like the 2x12... it definitely holds it's own against the bigger cab and it generally leaves my house more than the 4x12 since it's much smaller and easier to swing around in a bar fight. I do like the 4x12 better, but there's no accounting for my taste. :D

HaggertysMusic said:

Awesome video!
It's kind of hard to hear the difference on a laptop, but it seems the cleans are a bit fuller/smoother with the EL34's. Hard to say on the rest. I just fell into a fresh set of 34's, so I guess I'll be finding out for myself soon!

CjGuitarist82 said:
HaggertysMusic said:

Awesome video!
It's kind of hard to hear the difference on a laptop, but it seems the cleans are a bit fuller/smoother with the EL34's. Hard to say on the rest. I just fell into a fresh set of 34's, so I guess I'll be finding out for myself soon!

Cool! Post your results after you give them a try. Are you using M/B EL34's? They've still got some of their Siemens NOS 34's... I wonder if anyone has had good results with them?

volatileNoise said:
screamingdaisy said:
easier to swing around in a bar fight.

hahaha, awesome! :lol:

Yeah... :mrgreen: sure... But a 4x12 will be able to destroy more at the same time.

Okay... now for something serious... I read your posts about the 212 Rectifier Cab. Does anyone can tell me more about them? Especially the tonal differences compared to a 412?
I already own 412 cabs and I' m looking for a nice, but huge sounding cab for my 2 Channel Dual Recto. :evil:
Perhaps someone can show me a clip/comparison*

Thanks a lot... Volkair

Latest posts

Back