Versatile speakers for a Dual Rectifier and others?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boardn10

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have a variety of amps and I like to mix and match amps and cabs and speakers to get different tones. Right now, I can not find the right speakers for my Stone Age 212C Oversized cab to work well with my modded Dual Rectifier. My other amps are all Marshall clones or British style amps. I have a SPlawn 412 with Celestion Lynchbacks and Greenbacks and my Bogner 212OS has Celestion Vintage 30s. Right now I have Celestion G12K-100s in the Stone Age but these speakers while big and clean, almost remind me of PA speakers. I like more character and a chewy feel, maybe even more vintange.
Interesting that the K-100s work much better with Marshalls than my Dual Rectifier.

I am thinking maybe two Classic Lead 80s or maybe a mix, CL80/V30
Maybe some Creambacks like the M-65 or H-75?

Any suggestions guys?

Maybe I accept the fact that this cab is for my Marshalls and use the Dual Rec with my Splawn and Greenbacks and Bogner with V30s.
On a side note, I am considering a Mesa Boogie Rectifier vertical 212 cab this summer.

Rich

I really dig the V30/K100 mix with any of the rectos. Neither one alone really does it for me, although the standard oversize recto 412 with the mesaV30s is great IMO.
I have an Avatar OS 212 w/K100 and a recto 212 w/v30 stacked on top. Together they just have everything I would ever want tonally.
Stacking them opposite with the avatar on top sounds a little different, but I do like it that way also, it just looks goofy like that because the mesa cab is not as wide.

It seems like you might be willing to spend a few bucks on experimenting. If I had some time to play, I would try some of these out; most likely the KTS-70's.

http://www.austinspeakerworks.com/Guitar-Speakers-c-250.html

Otherwise I think your creambacks idea is the right way to go.

I was going to suggest V30/K100 as well. :lol:

But since you don't want that and you'd like chewy, I'd go with the greenbacks?

Seeing that you have all those different cabs/speakers already, you might consider just swapping some of your current speakers around (provided the ohms match of course) to find your best combination with each of the cabs for a specific amp.

nakedzen said:
I was going to suggest V30/K100 as well. :lol:

But since you don't want that and you'd like chewy, I'd go with the greenbacks?

Thanks guys! I go back and forth between straight speakers or mixing speakers like the 30 and 100. It seems you lose the character of any one speaker if you mix with a different speaker so sometimes I stay with the same in a cab. Not sure if this is the best approach or not.

Try a well broken in Mesa cab with V30's, they are not like the V30's you probably have in your other cabs, they are voiced a little different.

Also might want to try the new Mesa fillmore speakers, see link.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36233

I think the trick is just having a variety of cabs and speakers. Right now my favorite cab with all my amps is my Splawn 412 w/ Greenbacks. Sounds so good with the Dual Rectifier.

Back