TS9 vs TS808

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty Rhodes

Reaction score
Addressing the Ibanez TS9 and TS808 only, can anyone tell me what the sonic differences are between the two?

Thanks,

TS9 tends to have a more pronounced midrange hump to it and is smoother. The TS808 tends to have more articulate lows and highs and is a bit more transparent. The TS9 tends to sound more consistently like a TS9 no matter what you run it through, where the 808 tends to have a little more flexibility in taking on the character of the amp it's overdriving.

Chris McKinley said:
TS9 tends to have a more pronounced midrange hump to it and is smoother. The TS808 tends to have more articulate lows and highs and is a bit more transparent. The TS9 tends to sound more consistently like a TS9 no matter what you run it through, where the 808 tends to have a little more flexibility in taking on the character of the amp it's overdriving.

Interesting. Thank you.

i currently have a TS9 and thinking of getting the keeley mod for it. but after hearing that explanation i might end up getting the TS808. i prefer having the tone of the amp more than the tone of the pedal, and if the TS808 does that i might go that route.

or get both and A/B them, see which one sounds better.

-PJ

pjrake,

Neither pedal is particularly known for being transparent. The 808 is just a little better at it than the TS9. They are very similar overall, the 9 just has that pronounced mid hump. Still, it's hard to go wrong with what Robert Keeley can do for either pedal. He does great work. Even though I build my own stuff these days, I still wouldn't give up my Keeley 5-Star SD-1.

I had both at one point never longer then a month i dont like treble boosters ...i would recommend the bb preamp , ocd or fulldrive but anyways... Ive heard people get amazing tone with both just not me ha... The keeley modded ones are the way to go. As for which the ts9 or ts 808 i liked the 808 better little round and fatter sounding. sorry not much help ha.

Sebby123 said:
I had both at one point never longer then a month i dont like treble boosters ...i would recommend the bb preamp , ocd or fulldrive but anyways... Ive heard people get amazing tone with both just not me ha... The keeley modded ones are the way to go. As for which the ts9 or ts 808 i liked the 808 better little round and fatter sounding. sorry not much help ha.

Actually I do use an OCD and Full Drive 2 Mosfet with my Stiletto but was looking to use something different with the Marshall. I decided to go ahead and get the TS808 and give it a try. I must say, I am very pleased with the results. It's a keeper for sure.

domct203 said:
FWIW-
with the (current) TS-9 vs 808, it is very easy to mod them to sound like either one.

Dom

dom, out of the stock TS9, 808, and keeley mod TS9, which one would you use?

-PJ

pjrake said:
domct203 said:
FWIW-
with the (current) TS-9 vs 808, it is very easy to mod them to sound like either one.

Dom

dom, out of the stock TS9, 808, and keeley mod TS9, which one would you use?

-PJ

PJ,
I've never tried a Kelly modded TS-9 so I can not comment on that, although I'm sure it would be close to (if not the same as) my 808 modded TS-9. For me the stock TS-9 had too much of a mid-hump and rolled off just a little too much bass when used as a boost. The 808 modded TS-9 has a little less mid hump which lets a little more bass through as well.

When I compared my modded TS-9 to my buddy's stock (current production) Maxon OD808, there was hardly any (noticable) difference between them when using them as a boost into a dirty channel on the Roadster. However, when cranking the pedal's overdrive into a clean channel, to me the modded TS-9 sounded a bit smoother and less grainy overall, with a little more punch that seems to suit the Roadster well with my setup. Also, the Tone control on my modded TS-9 seems to have a little more usable range to it than the OD808.

The 808 modded TS-9 remains on my pedalboard to this day. I use it as a boost/mid push into the dirty channels, and it is on 90% of the time.

To answer your question, out of the "stock" pedals I would choose the Maxon OD808 for my application. Also, Maxon claims the OD808 to be true-bypass, but seeing how I use the pedal 90% of the time, I do not see the need for true bypass for me.

Hope that helps!

Dom

Back