Triaxis Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theaero

Reaction score
Does in the v2 triaxis non-phat mod vs phat mod, is the only difference in the LD1 red channel?

theaero said:
Does in the v2 triaxis non-phat mod vs phat mod, is the only difference in the LD1 red channel?

As far as I'm aware, that's the case. But, it's a BIG difference. Having owned both and being able to A/B the two, I can say the Phat Mod Lead 1 Red is pretty much worthless IMO. It's tubby, flubby, boomy, etc. They may as well have just removed Lead 1 Red, because it's not good for many applications. The non-Phat Mod, however, sounds excellent - especially for leads.

I see. I just wanted to know if it affected all the other modes or not.

Besides, all the other modes are quite usable anyways right? You can still achieve just about whatever sound ur going for.

on an unrelated note.... my 2:90 has a red light instead of a blue one... does that mean its the newer version? was anything changed?

Actually, you can't have a phat modded Triaxis taken to a non-phat modded version because the main TX1 board is different --> it has the new LDR config.

Also, Lead 1 Red is NOT the only change in the phat modded versions --> the presence voicing is different and to my ears seemed very harsh and chirpy.

Gregwor said:
Actually, you can't have a phat modded Triaxis taken to a non-phat modded version because the main TX1 board is different --> it has the new LDR config.

Also, Lead 1 Red is NOT the only change in the phat modded versions --> the presence voicing is different and to my ears seemed very harsh and chirpy.

Sorry but you are mistaken. You clearly are mixing up and using terms before you are sure of their meaning.

There are FOUR versions of the Triaxis

No recto board for LD1 Red
V1.0

Recto Board for LD1 Red
V2.0 non phat
V2.1 (made up the 2.1 to illustrate a change in production) Phat

V3.0 (i made up the 3.0 to illustrate a difference in production) (current production model)

The board you referred to as TX1 is actually labeled TX4 (AKA Recto board) and TX5 (current production LD1 Red)

Your evaluation of the different versions holds no weight IMO because you are: firstly, mistaken about Mesa production, and, secondly, provide nothing but your personal opinion which could be the exact opposite of the OP's, mine, or anyone else's.

Do you have proof by a Mesa rep or a current VS old schematic that Mesa has changed the "presence voicing," as you put it, in the Triaxis for the current build only? Mesa did offer a presence mod back in the day but I doubt you truly are referring to that.

I am not trying to put you down or insult your intelligence but just trying to get some facts straight. It seems the same topics are repeated OVER AND OVER but the wrong responses are sent continuously until someone corrects them.

Greg

disassembled said:
Gregwor said:

Sorry but you are mistaken. You clearly are mixing up and using terms before you are sure of their meaning.

V1.0

Recto Board for LD1 Red
V2.0 non phat

V3.0 (i made up the 3.0 to illustrate a difference in production) (current production model)

The board you referred to as TX1 is actually labeled TX4 (AKA Recto board) and TX5 (current production LD1 Red)

Your evaluation of the different versions holds no weight IMO because you are: firstly, mistaken about Mesa production, and, secondly, provide nothing but your personal opinion which could be the exact opposite of the OP's, mine, or anyone else's.

Do you have proof by a Mesa rep or a current VS old schematic that Mesa has changed the "presence voicing," as you put it, in the Triaxis for the current build only? Mesa did offer a presence mod back in the day but I doubt you truly are referring to that.

I am not trying to put you down or insult your intelligence but just trying to get some facts straight. It seems the same topics are repeated OVER AND OVER but the wrong responses are sent continuously until someone corrects them.

Greg

Howard Johnson is right!

Well, I don't know what significance it bears, but I inquired with Mesa about the differences in the Phat Mod and non-Phat Mod. I didn't get to speak with him and ask questions directly (left me a voicemail), but according to them, it's not as simple as just removing the Phat Mod. Changing it back to a non-Phat version also requires putting additional parts back in and would run roughly $150 + shipping both ways to properly convert it.

And although I have no clue if whatever the Phat Mod did changed other modes, I can say that in my A/B tests of a Phat Mod and non-Phat Mod Triaxis, swapping in the exact same tubes on the exact same mode and settings...the Triaxis w/o the Phat Mod sounded better overall in all overdrive modes, ad everyone else there concurred. We couldn't distinguish any difference in the cleans for the most part, but there was a noticable difference in all the Lead 2 modes, which were thicker and a little fuller overall. And of course, Lead 1 Red was worthless on the Phat Mod version, but the Lead 1 Red on the non-Phat could get dialed in scary close to my actual Recto. So, take it for what it's worth, but that was our experience.

I have personally changed a phat to non phat and it takes about $4 in parts and about 30 minutes of work. There are resources about how to do it yourself on the yahoo group for the triaxis.

Greg

disassembled said:

V1.0

Recto Board for LD1 Red
V2.0 non phat

Greg
Greg, would you be able to provide a serial number range for these versions? I owned an early Triaxis back in the 90's, I'd say around 93 maybe, not sure, and would love to aquire another. I'm looking for the 'best version' that the triaxis came in. So far, it seems that the V2.0 would be the best bet. Now, looking on eBay or where ever, the serial number would certainly solidify which model is in fact a Recto Board LD1 non-phat. Since there is so much confusion, I wanted to simply match serial numbers with the builds.

Tubes Rock! said:
Now, looking on eBay or where ever, the serial number would certainly solidify which model is in fact a Recto Board LD1 non-phat. Since there is so much confusion, I wanted to simply match serial numbers with the builds.

Not really. The serial number will only tell you what the unit shipped as stock. There's no telling if the user has modded it, added or removed a Phat Mod himself, etc...based on serial number alone (as not all work is done at Mesa).

And to the above, it may cost minimal in parts to swap a Phat Mod to a non-Phat Mod yourself. I was just denoting that if you want it done certified at Mesa, it's going to cost $150 + shipping both ways. So if you're comfortable modding it yourself and don't have a warranty to void, then great. If you want it done at Mesa so they can also check it over and such, then you can add another $200 to $250 onto the price of the one being bought and anticipate you'll have to wait for a couple weeks before it's ready to roll.

Latest posts

Back