Thiele vs. 4x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freefall

Reaction score
When I got my C+ combo (w/EVM12L), I wasn't crazy about the open back sound... I prefer the bigger bottom end and darker tone of my 4x12 (old straight front Randall cab, Jaguar speakers). So, I had the chassis put in a headshell, and I use the 4x12. I love the tone.

At times I'd like a more portable package than the 4x12, so I'm thinking about putting the EVM12L in a 1x12 thiele cab to give me that option. I've never played thru a thiele, but the closed back appeals to me.

Is the thiele's tone closer to a 4x12 (because of the closed back), or closer to the open back combo (because it's a 1x12)? I'd appreciate some insight from folks who have used all three.

Also, any suggestions for where to get an unloaded Thiele would also be appreciated.

The thiele kills any combo in my opinion. Could just be the c90's in my DC10 that I don't like but the open back combo sounds terrible in comparison to a thiele. I built my own with no fancy tools pretty easy if you can get the pieces cut out by someone the baffle is the hardest part I used a jig saw it's not a perfect circle but it's close enough that the speaker seals. I did have a 4x12 previously it was to huge and now I'm happy with the thiele. The 4x12 is different but they both are the obvious choice over an open back.

I purchased a widebody thiele with my MKV and the two work really well together. The open back sound from the combo and the closed back punch and bottom from the cab give it a huge sound from just 2 speakers. I tried just the closed back with the amp, and it was pretty impressive. I think the wide body is the way to go.

The wide body thiele I believe is a regular thiele with 2 sheets of 3/4 attached on either side to give it the extra width the inside dimensions are exactly the same. They where just made to fit underneath the amp

gts said:
My Favorite 4x12 ;-)

Top cabs are open back 1x12's, the bottom cabs are Thieles.
I don't usually go with all 4 cabs, usually use just half (the left stack or right stack).

The tone is big enough to rival that of a 4x12 (which I have for comparison) and the two cabs are much easier to move around.

Nice rig! I'm guessing you made the cabs 8) . I see a lot of players combining a thiele with their combos or an open back cab as you have. Since I'm going for max portability, would it be a workable option to just use a thiele, or would I probably need the open back cab as well? If I need to carry two 1x12s, for me I'd probably just stick with the 4x12 at that point. Thoughts?

I know the days of picking up a 4x12 by myself and going up/down stairs/into back of truck/etc are over!(I did that routine for years with a Marshall 4x12 with greenbacks..)the thieles are the way to go ,esp. for a one man wrecking crew!!

100% agreed wtih GTS - EVM Thiele on the bottom + Open back C90 on the top is a really nice setup. Mine sounds great.

boogieslayer said:
thiele for the ease of transporting

however 4x12 for TONE by far !

Have you played your C+ through a pair of EVM loaded thiele cabs? At a loud volume, and at a 10 foot+ distance from the cabs? Low volumes, up close do not do the thieles justice. I sold both my Recto cabs and my Halfback because of the weight/size issue. If I ever get another 4x12, it will be loaded with greenback Celestions, plugged into a Marshall-ish amp. :twisted:

The thiele widebody is front ported.....with a c90 celestion in it stock.....this is the one that is recomended as the extention cab for the MKV combo....sounds great and in my opinion is a better cab than the reg. thiele...

JOEY B. said:
boogieslayer said:

Have you played your C+ through a pair of EVM loaded thiele cabs? At a loud volume, and at a 10 foot+ distance from the cabs? Low volumes, up close do not do the thieles justice. I sold both my Recto cabs and my Halfback because of the weight/size issue. If I ever get another 4x12, it will be loaded with greenback Celestions, plugged into a Marshall-ish amp. :twisted:

as a matter of fact i have

4x12 for the Win !

I've been thinking about getting a 4x12 to replace my recto 2x12. That is until I realized that I have NO help moving my gear for shows, a 4x12 doesnt fit in the cab of my truck ( no topper on the back and a $1000 cab is NOT riding in the wind), and I keep all my stuff in my basement. Maybe a Port City 2x12 is in my future. It's kinda like a 2x12 theile right?

I just ordered a pair of widebody 1x12s (thiele and open back), so we'll see how they work out.

When I was younger I swore I'd never give up on 4x12s, but now that I'm a little older I kinda don't look forward to moving them anymore.

boogieslayer said:
JOEY B. said:
boogieslayer said:

as a matter of fact i have

4x12 for the Win !
Was this before or after your Graphic EQ was installed? Were the EV thieles stacked or side by side? Any styles other than high gain metal? Just curious.
:wink:
I have a 2x12 Genz-Benz ported cab with a pair of Eminence MS-12's that sounds HUGE with the Electra Dyne. I am suprised that I never got a hernia lifting my old Laney metal grille 4x12 into the hatch of my Datsun 280-ZX. Yes, it will fit, but just barely. You had to put the slant to the rear. I'll chalk that up to being young and dumb, nearly 20 years ago. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Was this before or after your Graphic EQ was installed? Were the EV thieles stacked or side by side? Any styles other than high gain metal? Just curious.
I have a 2x12 Genz-Benz ported cab with a pair of Eminence MS-12's that sounds HUGE with the Electra Dyne. I am suprised that I never got a hernia lifting my old Laney metal grille 4x12 into the hatch of my Datsun 280-ZX. Yes, it will fit, but just barely. You had to put the slant to the rear. I'll chalk that up to being young and dumb, nearly 20 years ago. :lol: :lol: :lol:

it was before... dont get me wrong cranking thru a thiele does sound good , i just prefer 4x12

boogieslayer said:

it was before... dont get me wrong cranking thru a thiele does sound good , i just prefer 4x12

Aaahhhh. Make sure it is two EV thieles, stacked, GEQ engaged for the lead channel. The GEQ is not needed for the rhythm channel with a good sounding guitar. If the thieles are side by side on the ground, increase your distance by 50% (15 feet minimum) and crank the volume louder. :twisted:

i will stick with my 4x12 for now ....

eventually i will get a 1x12 so i dont have to lug my 4x12 around

but for the moment my 4x12 is fine

like i said before i have no problem with the thiele as far as tone , i prefer the 4x12 though

Latest posts

Back