The Mark IV thread....!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'v noticed that mesa's site only has the Manual for the Mark IV B, and I have a question about the back panel of my Mark IV A. Was wondering what the deal is with the ground switch and where it should be set. Thanks

Hi, Boogie n00b here. What's the difference between the Mark IV short head and Medium head?

Would you guys say that the B model is better than the A model? More Gainy perhaps?

I was looking on Craigslist and a guy in my town is selling a Mark IV short head B version for only $1300.

No diff between short and medium other than more switches on the front of the medium because there's more room. Go to Page One of this thread for details.
Now is the time to buy Mark IVs, 'cause everyone's dumping them.
It's either the economy or the Mark V.
Of the last two dozen to sell on eBay, six went for less than $1200.

I found this board recently which helped me do some research on the Mark IV. I'm happy to say that I just got a used Mark IV head, made in 2007 that is on its way :D Thank you all for your encouragement to help me pull the trigger :)

I've been playing a Nomad 45 for the last four years through a Mesa 3/4 back 2x12 w/ V30's. I just bought an Avatar 2x12 w/a V30 and G12H30 Anniversary. Both cabs sound great, though the Avatar's speaker mix is more to my liking - slightly warmer, with a bigger bass response.

I am psyched to play the Mark IV. I read on another forum somewhere that life is too short for bad tone. I like my tone with the Nomad, but from what I have heard and read, the Mark IV is in another league beyond the Nomad. I play in a cover band that plays a lot of different styles and the Nomad is good, but I was looking for something other than EL84s. My expectations are high for the Mark IV, but I'm confident it will deliver the sounds I've been hearing in my head (and on countless recordings) from sparkling cleans to classic crunch, to DT and beyond.

Rock on!

scottieL said:
Was wondering what the deal is with the ground switch and where it should be set. Thanks

Under normal circumstances it should be left in the center position.

Send me your email and I can send you scanned copies of the Version "A" manual.

Dave

Hetfield is God said:
Hi, Boogie n00b here. What's the difference between the Mark IV short head and Medium head?

Would you guys say that the B model is better than the A model? More Gainy perhaps?

I was looking on Craigslist and a guy in my town is selling a Mark IV head B version for only $1300.

If it's perfectly mint then around 1250 is a good price to get it at. Prices seemed to drop off after the Mark V announcement.

My Mark IV has started to sound a little muddy or flubby (whatever you call it). Tubes are quite new, so I don't think that is the problem...Amp is from the early 90's. What do think? What could be the problem? Filter caps? Or something else?

Hello everyone. I am new to the Mesa world. I was wondering how the sound of the Mark series compares to the Rectifier series. Is it the same high gain, grungy type distortion of the Rectifier? Or is it closer to a vintage Fender or Peavey type gain?

I just bought a stiletto. It rocks! It sounds perfect for about 90% of the stuff I play (classic metal like Maiden and Priest, and 80's L.A. metal). I would like to get a classic American sound for classic rock like Nugent, Mountain, etc. Any suggestions? Is the Mark series the way to go? Maybe the Express series? Or just a distortion pedal? I have only played the Dual Rectifier. It was way over the top it seemed. It was vey high gain and grungy. I didn't care much for the sound. It seems like the dual rec is best suited for modern rock i.e. Creed, Nickelback, etc. Thanks for the help!

MrMarkIII said:

Yeah, I finally found one used locally this past Monday! (first post here)
It's in cherry shape other than some dust. Mark IV-B Medium Head.
:( It was selling for $1499 tho. :D I traded in my 2 Marshall JCM800 2203 heads on it.
I've been a Marshall addict for years, particularly the 2203s, but have been a closet luster for the Mark IV
since I played one in a store back in 1990-91(?) but could never scratch up enough cash for one.
It's come full circle for me - I love it!

It's running the 4 6L6s right now, but I'm going to do the EL34/6L6 config here soon.
I can't wait to hear that, plus it seems like it would give me even more tonal versatility all from one head.

cabba2203 said:
MrMarkIII said:

Yeah, I finally found one used locally this past Monday! (first post here)
It's in cherry shape other than some dust. Mark IV-B Medium Head.
:( It was selling for $1499 tho. :D I traded in my 2 Marshall JCM800 2203 heads on it.
I've been a Marshall addict for years, particularly the 2203s, but have been a closet luster for the Mark IV
since I played one in a store back in 1990-91(?) but could never scratch up enough cash for one.
It's come full circle for me - I love it!

It's running the 4 6L6s right now, but I'm going to do the EL34/6L6 config here soon.
I can't wait to hear that, plus it seems like it would give me even more tonal versatility all from one head.

I have mine set up that way and I love it. :)

I'm picking up my mark 4 on thursday, the guy said it's from 1992, so it should be a mk4a, but I looked at the pics he sent me and it looks like a mk4b to me.
what do you guys think?

Phazer said:
I'm picking up my mark 4 on thursday, the guy said it's from 1992, so it should be a mk4a, but I looked at the pics he sent me and it looks like a mk4b to me.
what do you guys think?

Congrats on the new amp, Phazer! It indeed looks like a B version judging from the stereo FX loop. Might want to call Mesa with the serial number to verify the production date. If it checks out in person and it's a good price I would not mention anything about the version to the seller. He may try to price hike if he finds out it's newer!

MusicManJP6 said:
Phazer said:
what do you guys think?

Congrats on the new amp, Phazer! It indeed looks like a B version judging from the stereo FX loop. Might want to call Mesa with the serial number to verify the production date. If it checks out in person and it's a good price I would not mention anything about the version to the seller. He may try to price hike if he finds out it's newer!
thanks!
I decided to end my adventure with the recto series, and for how much I like the roadster, I just miss not having a nice tight sound.
Anyway the seller said it's a mark4b.
I'm picking it up for 1750€, that's quite a good price over hear

Snagged my Mark IV a bit over a month ago for $1400 CAD. No idea how old it is. It's absolutely everything I have dreamed of in an amp, but my only gripe is that the "Boogie" nameplate is missing :roll:

1750 Euros is like 2440 US.... I don't even want to know what a bad price is. But hey if the tone is worth every penny that's all that matters.

MrFingers said:
Snagged my Mark IV a bit over a month ago for $1400 CAD. No idea how old it is. It's absolutely everything I have dreamed of in an amp, but my only gripe is that the "Boogie" nameplate is missing :roll:

1750 Euros is like 2440 US.... I don't even want to know what a bad price is. But hey if the tone is worth every penny that's all that matters.
You can buy a replacement from Mesa. I think you'll have to call to order: (707) 778-6565.

I demoed the IV for an hour or so. so many controls. but I was seriously disappointed. I tried full-power, tweed, simul-class, class A, I wasn't getting any decent rhythm, it was super nice for leads that's for sure. I really liked the lead channel. also I couldn't get any decent cleans, i was turning the gain down and the master V up but there was still a bit of overdrive. and where is the gain? I had the gain at 10 and it was not even near to my dual or even my JMP. maybe there was something wrong with the amp, the tube were glowing fine. I don't know.

but the gain acted a lot more like a volume control compared to my dual.

all in all I would give it another chance, but too many controls and I am not a fan of tweaking forever.

maybe the speakers really sucked, it was running through two 4x12, a sonic and a peavey. the bass was so flubby that I had to keep it around 1-2 for all channels.

I finished every page of this thread in preperation for the arrival of my Mark IV. Can't wait.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Bro KV said:
I finished every page of this thread in preperation for the arrival of my Mark IV. Can't wait.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Same here, I just need to sell my marshall and then track down a MK-IV combo and its a done deal.

Back