"Swiss Cheese" 77' Mark I

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonarobb

Reaction score
Some of you might have seen this when it came up on Ebay last year. Well I grabbed it fully knowing it was a trainwreck. I work on amps and guitars here in NYC and have a soft spot for Boogies.

The Ebay ad had said it was heavily modded by some cat in Nashville, Sharpe something or another. He had put in an effects loop and hacked the preamp and power section to death. (This post should be affectionately titled: "Don't Mod Your Amp In Nashville")

Anyway, started from scratch. Gutted the whole thing. Spent ample time reflowing the the traces on the PCB. In spots where it was etched away from the so called mod, I used jumpers to put it back to spec. Had to rewire the whole input jack matrix as well since input 2 at some point had been turned into a footswitch jack of some sort.

While I was in I laid a full reverb circuit. This ended up being easier than planned because the chassis already had the cutouts for the tube sockets. I credit the schematics at Tubefreak.com, particularly the Mark IA schematic. I lifted that reverb circuit verbatim and it worked beautifully. More lush and deep than any other Boogie I've heard or played.

Mucho thanks to MB at Boogie. He was very patient with me. Through him I found out that between 1975 and 1978 there were no fewer than 10 different version of the Mark I. Subtle changes in various parts of the circuit as they addressed and responded to customers comments and complaints. I settled on a early 1976 circuit which uses the 12AT7 Fender PI circuit.

Power section is nice and spec'd out with the original value lytics.

The original JBL K120 that came with is had a nasty coil rub so I sent it out for recone. By the time it came back I had put in this early EVM 12L and am much happier with it.

Additionally, tubes in the preamp are all creme de la crop. V1 is a Berlin production Tele 7025, rest of the pre's are sprinkled with RCA's and Amperex's. I have tons of gravy power tubes laying around but I started using the newer Tung-Sol 6L6GC re-issue for my client work. Figured I'd give em' a whirl in this as well. Pleasantly surprised at both the tone and reliability. If you need a good new production and Boogie friendly 6L6GC, I highly recommend these. This amp gets alot of use now and with 450 volts on the plates every night for hours on end the Tung Sol has gone to the top of my list.

All work done by me. Needless to say this thing blows my mind when I play it. I had 2 other Boogies. A Mark IIa and a Mark I re-issue. I'll probably never play another amp again besides this. Aside from it being a rescue mission and a labor of love, this amp just has the "it" factor. I'm sure you guys/gals know what I mean.

J-

DSCN0210.jpg

DSCN0209.jpg

DSCN0205.jpg

DSCN0204.jpg

DSCN0198.jpg

DSCN0199.jpg

DSCN0200.jpg

DSCN0201.jpg

DSCN0202.jpg

DSCN0206.jpg

DSCN0207.jpg

DSCN0208.jpg

Great work! At the moment I'm waiting for my amp tech to call me back for a cap job on my amp. So, it's great to see this lovely MarkI back to life, while my amp is sick.

Hi there!
I see your chassis has been built by Randall Smith in 1977 (check the signature in green).
I have also a '77 Mark I signed RCS and MB told me it is a very good amp.
regards

Wow, that did sound like loads of work! Kudos to you for resurrecting a piece of history! :)
...swiss cheese ...funny! I think you should leave the faceplate as a reminder of its scarred past ...not to mention some personal gratification of where it is now! Congrats!

Edward

I think you should leave the faceplate as a reminder of its scarred past ...not to mention some personal gratification of where it is now!

Or you could just put in a GEQ.

I use to see this thing all the time getting passed around the block several times. That is cool you are fixxing it up. Post some sound clips.

Congrats! I can relate. My Mk. III came to me pretty clean, but I have a '78 M4rshall that shares a pretty similar story. Started out as a plain ol' single channel amp with no loop, reverb, or any of that stuff. Modded by some "hot shot" modding guy well before I got it to have an extra channel, effects loop, extra tubes, there were whole extra circuit boards. Played it as is for a few weeks and it started making funny noises. When I opened it up to see what was wrong, it was clear that the only way to "fix it" was to strip it down and rebuild it. Now it's ugly and has extra holes all over, but is one of the best sounding amps I own.
It feels good to save one from the scrap heap.

If you have the time and money it is very gratifying and spiritually rewarding to save an old Mesa. I too rescued a very beat up Mark IIA. Did the cabinet myself and left the guts to MB. He takes pride in the old amps. There is magic in some of them. I know I found it in my Mark IIA. Glad you've found it in yours

Back