Subway Rocket Reverb?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jclogston

Reaction score
Hi everyone -

Fisrt time post here. Just wondering how the subway rocket reverb is? I always wanted one when it first came out but couldn't afford it at the time. How are the cleans on this? How much gain does it have on tap? Can it get 80's metal?
How does it compare to say the express 5:25 (which BTW didn't have enough gain for me) or say the F-30?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

I like the Subways. They do have a lot of gain - four stages - and they will scream for sure. Eighties metal and way beyond, no problem.

They also have the Dyna-Watt power sections which I have always appreciated.

I would not hesitate to use a Subway amp in the studio or for a gig.

I have a Rocket 44 head, which has the preamp section from the subway series and the power section from the DC-3 (4xEL84). Great cleans and a mean OD channel with a lot of attitude. Lead tones are smooth with infinite sustain and the harmonic feedback is simply outrageous at high volumes. I highly recommend both the Rocket 44 and 440.

The aforementioned DC-3 is in the same ballpark tonally as the other amps I mentioned, and maybe a bit more versatile. I also like the F-30 a lot, but not quite as much as I like the Rocket 44....it doesn't seem to want to sing the way my Rocket will. You might be surprised at how much modern Thump and crunch the F-30 and Rocket 44/440 will produce too.

All the above are great amps if you ask me. The cool thing is that none of these amps will cost you a lot of money.

MasterTrax said:
I like the Subways. They do have a lot of gain - four stages - and they will scream for sure. Eighties metal and way beyond, no problem.

They also have the Dyna-Watt power sections which I have always appreciated.

I would not hesitate to use a Subway amp in the studio or for a gig.

I have a Rocket 44 head, which has the preamp section from the subway series and the power section from the DC-3 (4xEL84). Great cleans and a mean OD channel with a lot of attitude. Lead tones are smooth with infinite sustain and the harmonic feedback is simply outrageous at high volumes. I highly recommend both the Rocket 44 and 440.

The aforementioned DC-3 is in the same ballpark tonally as the other amps I mentioned, and maybe a bit more versatile. I also like the F-30 a lot, but not quite as much as I like the Rocket 44....it doesn't seem to want to sing the way my Rocket will. You might be surprised at how much modern Thump and crunch the F-30 and Rocket 44/440 will produce too.

All the above are great amps if you ask me. The cool thing is that none of these amps will cost you a lot of money.

Thanks MasterTrax.
It is strange as i have posted this in some other forums and they tell me the opposite - that the subway rocket has less gain than the 5:25. The Rocket 44 is probably overkill for what i need - the subway rocket looks almost perfect--> small, relatively lightweight, 2 channels, ~20 W or below, tube. The 5:25 on paper is what i really wanted but it just didn't have enough gain (could always use a pedal but if i'm paying >$1000 the amp should be able to give me what i want).

Jeff

I have a Subway Rocket w/reverb. One of the early ones where the footswitch plugs into the back of the amp. The later ones had a presence knob instead of reverb and the footswitch plugs into the front. I use mine as a practice amp at home, but 20W is very loud for home. Mine has a good clean sound, reverb works well, the contour channel w/ the Mid knob dimed and the Gain & Treble knobs set to Max achieves the most gain for the Rocket . Of course, the higher the volume the better the amp tone. If it's not enough gain for you it can always be slammed with an overdrive pedal.

I feel the Express models are some what lacking in the gain stage. They do have that 5W option that always the user to obtain tube saturation at bedroom volume levels.

I've heard of some of the Subway models having scratchy knobs, but mine never has. All and all my Rocket has been a true companion to my music and I definitely recommend one.

Just be care buying one through ebay because these models do have some age to them. :wink: I believe you will be very happy with a Rocket.

Tubegear Junkie

Tubegear Junkie said:
I have a Subway Rocket w/reverb. One of the early ones where the footswitch plugs into the back of the amp. The later ones had a presence knob instead of reverb and the footswitch plugs into the front. I use mine as a practice amp at home, but 20W is very loud for home. Mine has a good clean sound, reverb works well, the contour channel w/ the Mid knob dimed and the Gain & Treble knobs set to Max achieves the most gain for the Rocket . Of course, the higher the volume the better the amp tone. If it's not enough gain for you it can always be slammed with an overdrive pedal.

I feel the Express models are some what lacking in the gain stage. They do have that 5W option that always the user to obtain tube saturation at bedroom volume levels.

I've heard of some of the Subway models having scratchy knobs, but mine never has. All and all my Rocket has been a true companion to my music and I definitely recommend one.

Just be care buying one through ebay because these models do have some age to them. :wink: I believe you will be very happy with a Rocket.

Tubegear Junkie

Thanks Tubegear Junkie.
How cleans are the cleans? What other mesa amps do they sound like, or other amps for that matter?
The gain should be able to handle 80's metal, correct?
I'm in the same boat as you as i would like to use it for a practice amp. Ebay seems the only place these days for me to get one so i'll be careful..... :lol:

Jeff

jclogston said:
Thanks Tubegear Junkie.
How cleans are the cleans? What other mesa amps do they sound like, or other amps for that matter?
I'm in the same boat as you as i would like to use it for a practice amp. Ebay seems the only place these days for me to get one so i'll be careful..... :lol:

Jeff

jclogston

If you're looking for liquid violin cleans then the Rocket isn't the best choice. If you're looking for moderate, workable cleans then the Rocket will work well.

As far as 80's metal- If you're looking for "Bone Crushing" metal tone
like 80's Metallica or Slayer you'll have to slam it with a pedal.
If you're looking for 80's metal tone like Scorpions, Whitesnake, or Classic Rock tone like Black Sabbath, AC/DC then the Rocket is for you.
On the ebay thing- I would make sure the seller has a return policy.
hope this helps...

Tubegear Junkie

Tubegear Junkie said:
jclogston said:
Thanks Tubegear Junkie.

Jeff

jclogston

If you're looking for liquid violin cleans then the Rocket isn't the best choice. If you're looking for moderate, workable cleans then the Rocket will work well.

As far as 80's metal- If you're looking for "Bone Crushing" metal tone
like 80's Metallica or Slayer you'll have to slam it with a pedal.
If you're looking for 80's metal tone like Scorpions, Whitesnake, or Classic Rock tone like Black Sabbath, AC/DC then the Rocket is for you.
On the ebay thing- I would make sure the seller has a return policy.
hope this helps...

Tubegear Junkie

Thanks again -

I'm wondering now if the F30 or maybe a nomad 45 would be better options as i would like "violin like" cleans and "Bone Crushing" metal tones.

Jeff

Used to own a SRR. Not much headroom for cleans at all, so if you need real clean cleans forget it if you play at much volume. F30 is pretty much the same amp so I don't think that will help you on clean headroom.

The F50 OTOH has great cleans, and will get you up into the hard rock/early metal gain range, but it doesn't have as much gain on tap as the Marks. The distortion character is more similar to the Marks than the rectos though. Slam the F50 with a good boost pedal and it will probably go more than far enough unless you are trying to play Nu-Metal stuff with it.

I've only tried Nomads in a GC and not at loud volume, but it seemed to have tons of gain on tap. I could never get sounds I liked all that well out of them, but I didn't have much time with them either.

I'm currently addicted to my Lonestar.... I'm using an old Ibanez Tube-King on the clean channel and it gets a killer, almost Mark IV type of distortion sound going. And the Lonestar drive channel hit with a good boost ( BB preamp in my case) is the lead tone of the gods.

Lou said:
so jclog.....I'm thinking same as you...or looking as it were...have you decided?

Haven't decided yet; gonna try out a nomad and the f-50 hopefully this week at my local music store.....and maybe the peavey XXX or valveking 112 (i know, not a mesa but...)

jeff

Latest posts

Back