Rectoverb 25 Reverb Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtrettin

Reaction score
Hello and thank you in advance for any advice.

I am having an issue with the reverb on my rectoverb 25. No matter how high or low I turn the reverb dial on both channels, there is no reverb added to the signal when I play the guitar. However, if I tap on the reverb tank tank or move the amp with the reverb on, I can hear a loud spring sound through the amplifier (the springs moving are being amplified). I can turn the reverb up or down while testing it in this manner and both channels work as expected where the amount of reverb in the signal will go up or down depending on how I turn the dial.

Again the issue is there is no reverb when I play guitar through the amp, even with the reverb set to max. The output ohm reading from the reverb tank was about 260. Mesa has an article on their store page saying the output ohm reading should be "approximately 200", but doesn't give an example of what would be too far off.

I checked all of the solder joints on the tank as well as the springs and cleaned all of the leads and jacks making sure they were all plugged in correctly and making good contact.

I wanted to check here before I went off and ordered a new tank as I don't have any prior experience in troubleshooting/fixing spring reverb tanks.

Thank you again for any advice, please let me know if there's any other information that I could provide that would be helpful.

What this means is that the reverb return circuit is functional, but the send is not working. This could be a problem with the tube (V6), the cable, the reverb tank, or something else. I would try changing V6 to see if you can get the reverb working again. You can also try checking the connections to the reverb tank and making sure they are clean.

It is always possible that there is something wrong internally with the tank, which I have had happen. Unfortunately a lot of reverb tanks use quick connects inside, instead of soldered connections, which means they are susceptible to oxidation and bad connections.

Ok, that makes sense. Thank you for the response. I'll try the tube first then go from there.

Back