Stiletto comments & questions after trying one 4 first time

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceiceburg

Reaction score
I made it a very good Mesa store today (2.5 hour drive - ugh!) and tried out a Roadster, MKV, Express and an Ace 1x12 combo.
I never would have thought that I would have liked the Ace the best, but I did! Am I crazy? I went there expecting to want the Mark V which is a great amp, but the Ace is what stood out to me. I don't know, I just think it sounds really awesome. The only downside is it doesn't seem to have much bottom end. Here are some questions that I hope you'll can help with.

1. Does the Ace sound like the non-Ace Version 2 head? They did not have one to try.
2. HAs anyone tried an EQ or other to get some more low end? Has lack of bottom end been an issue? Maybe it was the effect of playing other much lower end amps?
3. Does the 2x12 sound much different than the 1x12?
4. Anyone tried speakers other than the V30's that are in these? A mix possibly?

Thanks all - I'm finally moving to a high quality amp and am pumped!
Greatly appreciate any answers/comments!

All aces are Stage II as well as the HEad
ACES - 1X12combo<2X12combo<head/extension cab combination
Don't really need an external EQ source other than the amps own EQ to get a good low end (at least the ACE head rectifier cab combination)
2X12 combo sounds a little bit fuller sounding than 1X12, but the HEad With an extension cab (I prefer the REC Cab to the Stiletto CAb because its lower end is a little bit bigger/thumpier low end) sounds better than the combo IMO.
I like V30's. C90's are also real nice with the Ace IMO.

I can't really comment on the Ace/Stage II Deuce/Trident, since I haven't had the chance to play one, but my Stage I Trident with the Fluid Drive mod has enough low end.

If low end is really an issue, you could always plug an EQ in the loop and boost the lower frequencies.

From what I understand, the only mode that is unchanged from the Stage I is the Tite Gain mode. The Fluid Drive mod for the St. Is adds some low end to the TG setting. I bought mine from forum member Droptrd, and reversed the mod for all of about 10 minutes before re-modding it.

I boost it a little with my effects processor and couldn't be happier. I couldn't afford to keep both the Stiletto and my Recto, so I sold the Recto. I'm much happier with the Stiletto.

What exactly is the fluid drive mode that could be so easily reversed?
I was either going to get the 2x12 Ace combo or the Ace head and possibly Recto 2x12 cab for more low end thump. However, the later is about 400 more bones - don't know if it's worth the $$$ to go that route althought surferdeac said he got more low end.
Has anyone else been able to hear the difference between the combo and the head/cab? the cab being much larger - I'm sure would help.

iceiceburg said:
What exactly is the fluid drive mode that could be so easily reversed?
I was either going to get the 2x12 Ace combo or the Ace head and possibly Recto 2x12 cab for more low end thump. However, the later is about 400 more bones - don't know if it's worth the $$$ to go that route althought surferdeac said he got more low end.
Has anyone else been able to hear the difference between the combo and the head/cab? the cab being much larger - I'm sure would help.

You'll definitely get more low end from the cab, since it's closed back. I'm also using a Recto 4x12, which may have a lot to do with the low end that I'm getting.

The Fluid Drive mod is a redesign of the Tite Gain and Fluid Drive modes for the Stage I Stilettos. The Stage IIs already have this mod built in supposedly, although if the TG mode is unchanged from a I to a II, then I don't see how that's possible.

From what Droptrd said, he owned a Stage II Deuce, and traded it for the Stage I Trident that I now have, because the TG mode was thin in the II, but much fuller in the FD modded I.

Something you may want to look into, depending on what mode you liked. Stage Is are going for pretty cheap used right now, and the mod is only a few resistors and a pot swap, if you're good with a soldering iron. If you liked the Fluid Drive mode on the Ace, I wouldn't go for the modded I then, because that mode is weak and thin.

Yes, adding an EQ to the Stiletto can make it a metal monster if you need it. Tons of low end.

The Stilettos are known for being a bit on the bright side, but as you have seen already, it can be tamed.
A good 4 x 12 cab makes a big difference. And I have one.... But for most gigs, I use a single 1 x 12 cab with a C90 which is usually plenty loud. And the C90 will give you more low end than the V30.

I have to wonder why Mesa chose a V30 for a 1 speaker combo. :roll: :?:

The Stilettos give you the crunch of the most popular British amps (ie Marshall, HiWatt) but you still get the punchier lead tone that Mesa's are famous for. This is why I bought mine, so your reaction comes as no surprise.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

I noticed when I turn up the gain in my Stiletto Ace in the Fluid drive I lose bass and it get's quite bright. I have my gain set to 8 o'clock or close to 9. That way I get good bass while still retaining good gain. IMO I think it has a bit too much gain, but that's me. I'm still learning the intracacies of this amp for a live situation.

The Ace will react very differently to different guitars as far as bass output - I use a 7 string tuned to normal with 9's and a 6 string tuned to normal with 10's (both ibanez with trems) and have never had a problem with lack of bass out of the 2x12 combo. Make sure you test it out with your guitars if you didn't.
In a band setting the Ace definitely cuts while retaining a full sound (i play in a 3 piece + singer so I have to have a full sound to make it fill up any room). I also think the Ace sounds much better with a band than by itself. Cut the gain a little and push up the mid a little to give more punch to the low end

I notice when i use the spongy power setting which is most of the time i don't get as much of ear peircing sharpness that can happen with the Bold setting. I plan to replace the v30 as i like the sound better when I disconnect the speaker in the amp and just run my 4x12 cab.

Iceburg, do not hesitate to get an eq pedal. it will transform the amp. Dial back presence below 9 and mid around 9 with the treble around 10 and bass at 1 and it should sound good,.. but the eq is a must.

I appreciate everyones help. I ordered an Ace 2x12 Combo and should have it next Friday. Ordered from GC - I felt obligated because the numerous amps I bought and exchanged. I'll say this, the GC in Tampa, FL is great. They never gave me any grief about amp swaps - good group of guys there. I"m really fired up to get my first Mesa amp.

I love reverb so I will get a pedal. I've heard the Holy Grail Reverb pedals are pretty nice.
Some specific questions for a few of you:
dmain - how's that Fulltone Fat-Boost pedal? Do you add some bass in? How do you like the Holy Grail?
cragginshred (cool name) - Do you eq the input or effects loop? which eq?
General Question - Any "best practices" for pedal order?
General Question - any other pedals (or multi-pedal processor) that you couldn't live without that you use with your Stiletto?
I tried a boost out for the first time and was pretty amazed - I always assumed it would dirty up the sound but it did not. The one i tried was a boss od and it was good.
I've heard good things about some other ones - mx, ocd i think - any opinions here appreciated.
too many questions - i know - sorry
thanks all!

I run my boss 7 band eq in the loop. I used to think I could not live without reverb, however, currently I am using a dual delay set up from the TC Nova multi fx rig and dig the dryer get what you put in to it tone on bold/diode setting (ala Timmons suggestion). Lastly, the SUHR KOKO boost (primarily the mid boost) is to die for and a must for any rig.Think Sonic maximizer on steroids. I used to run my Stiletto Deuce always with an OD pedal in to the front for the extra kick, now just the KOKO in to the front is so good, all classic brown sound and killer blues with a bit of vol roll of using a treble bleed mod in the strats neck pup. Then flip back to the humbucker and hit the Maxon 808 (in front of the Koko, both going in to the front of the amp -key) and bam, your ready for searing solos and monster chords. Hope this helps, and yes the quite expensive Koko is way worth it! check it out here is a good demo- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E-OZyDo9E8

The fatboost i love i never turn it off. I added it to boost my clean tone but it adds so much thickness for want of another word that I won't give it up. I love fulltone pedals. The grail is just a great sounding easy to use reverb. I usually use it in spring mode like what would be in an amp but the hall is fun too. I usually run this all the time too. I love my stiletto ace combo it can do so much its awesome.

If you have most of the tone dialed in right, but still sounding quite harsh and/or bright, back down on the master a little, and compensate with the output knob. Works for me. I've also running my Stiletto Deuce II head through GH12H30 speakers. Sounds great with those and the V30s I have...

KH Guitar Freak said:
If you have most of the tone dialed in right, but still sounding quite harsh and/or bright, back down on the master a little, and compensate with the output knob. Works for me. I've also running my Stiletto Deuce II head through GH12H30 speakers. Sounds great with those and the V30s I have...

VERY true. Open up that Output as much as possible. When at gigs I run that Output up past noon, and this really warms up the amp.

jetdriver said:
KH Guitar Freak said:

VERY true. Open up that Output as much as possible. When at gigs I run that Output up past noon, and this really warms up the amp.

That is how I run my Ace. Output around 2 o'clock and channel master to taste. The Heritage g12h30's are a great match for this amp!

[/quote]

VERY true. Open up that Output as much as possible. When at gigs I run that Output up past noon, and this really warms up the amp.[/quote]

That is how I run my Ace. Output around 2 o'clock and channel master to taste.[/quote]

I also find this to be the case as well :) opening up the master and output will bring this amp to life big time

An EQ in the loop works really well for getting more bottom end. I used one until i got my 2x12 recto cab, now the only thing in my loop is my Carbon Copy w/ just a bit of delay. It's simple and can absolutely kill small animals if they get too close!! :lol: I've used it this way for almost a year now, so i guess I'm pretty happy with it. Just a note...you will have to reset some of your EQ when going from bedroom/ practice volume to gigging level. The Ace, mine anyway, loves to be cranked and sounds awesome @ higher volume. I use my setup frequently in an old barn on weekends and it's sometimes really hard to stop playin' it's so much fun!!! :mrgreen:

Back