Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MusicManJP6 said:
Which reminds me - there is a 30th anniversary Dark Side of the Moon album that came out a few years ago that is remastered in 5.1 audio. I've yet to hear it... Prob pretty cool!

I'd like to hear Steven's 5.1 mix... no 5.1 system though... I might be able to rig one up some how though...

they're getting pretty affordible (at least for the decent ones)... worth it if you like watching movies and listening to music.

jdurso said:
MusicManJP6 said:
Which reminds me - there is a 30th anniversary Dark Side of the Moon album that came out a few years ago that is remastered in 5.1 audio. I've yet to hear it... Prob pretty cool!

I'd like to hear Steven's 5.1 mix... no 5.1 system though... I might be able to rig one up some how though...

they're getting pretty affordible (at least for the decent ones)... worth it if you like watching movies and listening to music.

I've pitched the idea to the wife as we watch a ton of movies, but no green light yet. :roll: I'll have to check the back of the DVD player to see if it has rear outs. I've got an old pair of Realistic speakers I could use. All i'd need is another little power amp. I'm using an old Aiwa unit I got from a friend several years ago that he had for years before getting rid of it. We use it to amplify the Aiwa speakers that came with it for watching TV and movies. It actually sounds decent for what it is although the noise floor is pretty bad.

:idea: hey! i bet I could use the recently acquired powerblock as a poweramp for the rears if my DVD player has rear outputs! Hmmm... I like stereo effects, but I don't want to get too used to them. :)

I listen to music more in my car than at home so the appeal is for those explosions where glass is flying by your face, etc. :D It certainly adds another dimension to a movie.

MusicManJP6 said:
jdurso said:
MusicManJP6 said:

I've pitched the idea to the wife as we watch a ton of movies, but no green light yet. :roll: I'll have to check the back of the DVD player to see if it has rear outs. I've got an old pair of Realistic speakers I could use. All i'd need is another little power amp. I'm using an old Aiwa unit I got from a friend several years ago that he had for years before getting rid of it. We use it to amplify the Aiwa speakers that came with it for watching TV and movies. It actually sounds decent for what it is although the noise floor is pretty bad.

:idea: hey! i bet I could use the recently acquired powerblock as a poweramp for the rears if my DVD player has rear outputs! Hmmm... I like stereo effects, but I don't want to get too used to them. :)

I listen to music more in my car than at home so the appeal is for those explosions where glass is flying by your face, etc. :D It certainly adds another dimension to a movie.

You forgot one thing... 5.1 isn't only the 5 speakers but also the encoder in the amplifier/dvd player.

You might want to take wifey to walmart... and accidentally walk through the electronics section past this: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10191115&sourceid=1500000000000003142050&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=10191115 :D

My friend has this and while its not the best out there it certainly sounds good for the non-audiophiles.

I'm also a huge Steven Wilson fan. For those of you who never saw this, here's a great Porcupine Tree feature and interview that I did with Steven in 2007:

http://www.musicplayers.com/features/bands_general/2007/0707_PorcupineTree.php

and for fans of melodic, neo-prog music (Marillion, Genesis, Styx, '80s Rush and Yes), check out my band at http://www.myspace.com/daysbeforetomorrow -- I hope you like it!

Scott

Latest posts

Back