speaker recommendation for 212 Roadster (and watts question)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pontius2000

Reaction score
I have a 212 Roadster combo with Vintage 30s. I wish I had gotten a head instead, so I think I'm going to get a 212 cabinet and not use the amp's speakers.

I think a V30 is good in unison with another speaker, but not good with 2 V30s because they are overly shrill together. so, what speakers would you recommend, or what speaker to go in unison with one of the V30s? I want 2 speakers that can cover everything from blues, classic rock, grunge, and metal.

I used to have a 212 with a V30 and a G12H30, which I thought was pretty good because the G12H30 kind of evens out the V30's treble. But that leads to anything question.......the V30 and G12H30 have a combined have a combined wattage (I think) of 95 watts. the Roadster is 100 watts. Is it true that the total speaker wattage needs to be higher than the amp's wattage?

Thanks.

If you want a versatil cabinet you may want to consider this one:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/RoadKingCABS/RK-2x12-LG.htm

Pontius2000 said:
YellowJacket said:
v30 + g12H 30 = 60 watts handling.

I like the v30 + c90 combination for 120watts handling.

Vintage 30 = 60 watts

amps send out equal power to each speaker (ie a 100w amplifier will not send 30 watts to one speaker and 70 to another.. each speaker gets 50w). if one speaker in a 2x12 is only 30 watts then the cabinet will only be able to handle 30+30=60w even if the other speaker can handle more

and to answer your original question, since tube amps can peak over their maximum wattage, it is generally a good idea to overcompensate your cabinets handling so you don't run the risk of blowing a speaker, but you dont need to go overboard. 120 watts handling is fine if you try a v30 + c90

my personal favorite is v30 + g12k100

I replaced my V30's with some WGS retro 30's. Holy ****, they sound so much better. I dont understand why people want celestions anymore. They are made in China and cost $150 and sound like total garbage.

The retro 30's are sooooo much tighter and articulate, with alot more detail and punch. The v30's sounded harsh and muddy in comparison. Not to mention the WGS are half the price of celestions.

Ya, I'd mix v30 with a c90. If you're brave and you want to respeaker everything I'd strongly recommend the WGS Reaper 50watt. That would give 100watt handling power for a duet and 200watts for a 4 x 12. We put some in cab for my brother and I LOVED them!!

Back