SED Winged C's for C+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mreeve25

Reaction score
I am looking to buy some SED winged C's for my C+.

I found a quad on ebay, however they of course are not the mesa brand, so they will not match the bias of the amp.

What specs does the tube need to be in order for maximum tube life, and optimal tone?

Thanks in advance!

JOEY B. said:
mreeve25 said:
What specs does the tube need to be in order for maximum tube life, and optimal tone?

It will say MESA STR-415 on the Sylvania 6L6GC tube. Anything less will be an insult to that amp. Ask me how I know. :wink:
:D

Cmon Joey, no need to rub it in.. :wink:

=C= are great tubes, and quite close to NOS in transparency and punch.

I ordered 2 sets for my DRG C+ from Tubedepot. I asked specifically for IIC+ DRG w/105pt. They sent me 2 pairs of EL34s with bias rating 21, and 2 pairs of 6l6 with bias rating 28. They work perfect.

adonixx said:
JOEY B. said:
mreeve25 said:

It will say MESA STR-415 on the Sylvania 6L6GC tube. Anything less will be an insult to that amp. Ask me how I know. :wink:
:D

Cmon Joey, no need to rub it in.. :wink:

=C= are great tubes, and quite close to NOS in transparency and punch.

I ordered 2 sets for my DRG C+ from Tubedepot. I asked specifically for IIC+ DRG w/105pt. They sent me 2 pairs of EL34s with bias rating 21, and 2 pairs of 6l6 with bias rating 28. They work perfect.

A Simul-class C+(inner sockets) is much more forgiving than a 60/100 with the 105 PT. The bias is hotter with the 60/100 and will show any weakness with the tube, for sure. I have seen a =C= 6L6 fall victim to the 60/100 C+ with my own eyes, and ears.

If you really want to live on the edge, put those =C= 6L6's in the outer sockets of your Simul, put it in Class-A mode, and crank the volume WAY up. :twisted:

I ordered a quad from TubeDepot.

They said that they had winged c's that were set for Mesa's.

Now I just have to find the right pre-amp tubes....any suggestions?

60/100 recipe
Quad of STR415's with a set of 5 Tungsrams.

preamp?

V1 RCA
v2 RFT
V3 RFT
V4 Tung Sol (usa, not reissue), Sylvania 12ax7a, GE 12ax7a
V5 Tung Sol (usa made) or usa made 5751

scott

zodiac272 said:
preamp?

V1 RCA
v2 RFT
V3 RFT
V4 Tung Sol (usa, not reissue), Sylvania 12ax7a, GE 12ax7a
V5 Tung Sol (usa made) or usa made 5751

scott
I have this in my 60/100

V1 Ei NOS (pre-'90)
V2 Tungsram
V3 Ei NOS (pre-'90)
V4 Ei NOS (pre-'90)
V5 Tungsram

and this in my DRG:

V1 Tungsram
V2 Tungsram
V3 GT 7025 (Ei NOS (pre-'90))
V4 GT 7025 (Ei NOS (pre-'90))
V5 Mesa SPAX7 Russian

What preamp tubes are in your amp now?

preamp tubes are kinda like guitar strings and tone settings. Not everyone likes the same things. You almost have to try different ones until you find what you like. There are certain tubes that work better in certain spots. v1 and your PI spot would be the first I would try to find the right tubes for. Personally I like nos over anything available new. Do some research before buying anything if you're gonna invest in decent tubes. They last a lot longer than your power tubes so I feel the investment is worth it for some good nos tubes. You don't have to spend a fortune either. $20-$40 a tube and you can find some decent ones.

mreeve25 said:

I bet they did. The problem is that all MESA amps are not created equal. The 105 PT 60/100 and Coliseum C+ amps will be more punishing of the power tubes than any of their other guitar amps. This is not merely my opinion, but a fact based on plate voltage and current draw. Watch the tubes for redplating during a long term, loud session.

Yeah, I hope these tubes were money well spent. I called them first, and said I needed a quad that were properly set for a boogie mark IIC+ w/ 105pt. I told them that this particular model mesa, had a hight plate voltage. They said "no problem".

They seem to have a pretty decent warranty on them, so I think it was worth it. Surely they will be better than stock 440's.

JOEY B. said:
mreeve25 said:

I bet they did. The problem is that all MESA amps are not created equal. The 105 PT 60/100 and Coliseum C+ amps will be more punishing of the power tubes than any of their other guitar amps. This is not merely my opinion, but a fact based on plate voltage and current draw. Watch the tubes for redplating during a long term, loud session.

How would they fair in a Mark IV? I have to believe it won't be as punishing as in Coliseum C+ amps. Also what is the PT value/threshold (if I'm saying this right) for a Mark IV?

swbo101 said:
How would they fair in a Mark IV? I have to believe it won't be as punishing as in Coliseum C+ amps. Also what is the PT value/threshold (if I'm saying this right) for a Mark IV?

The Mark IV plate voltage is around 450. It will be much more forgiving than the 485 of the 60/100 C+. The C+ Coliseum amps have around 520 volts at the plates. My reference of Sylvania power tubes is more about reliability than tone.

JOEY B. said:
swbo101 said:

The Mark IV plate voltage is around 450. It will be much more forgiving than the 485 of the 60/100 C+. The C+ Coliseum amps have around 520 volts at the plates. My reference of Sylvania power tubes is more about reliability than tone.

I read the spec sheets for the 6L6 and EL34 for the =C= tubes on tubedepot and the max plate voltage for the 6L6

http://site.tubedepot.com/pdf/sv-6l6gc.pdf

was DC plate voltage VP 500 V and for the EL34

http://site.tubedepot.com/pdf/sv-el34.pdf

I thought I saw DC plate voltage 800 V under maximum ratings, however I could have sworn that I read somewhere else that it's max rating was 500 as well.

Either way they should fair well in a Mark IV as long as the ones selected are "middle" rated for these fixed bias amps.

Thanks

EDIT:

Added spec sheet links

JOEY B. said:
My reference of Sylvania power tubes is more about reliability than tone.

I can definitely vouch for that. My blue stripe practically makes my Sylvania's *yawn* at pushed stage volumes, whereas all other tubes visibly are struggling. They are the real deal for sure.

I'd certainly like to try out the =C='s just to A/B them. The STR-440's certainly aren't going to hold a candle in the long run of reliability to the Sylvania's...you can tell just by watching them work, much less the tone.

Latest posts

Back