2B is not 2B. (It's a 2C+)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.c.free

Reaction score
Never been much of a tech guy, more like plug in turn a few knobs til I like what I hear. Still, it's pretty embarrassing to admit I didn't know (or worry) what model Boogie I was playing through for over a decade. I loved the tones and it gave what I wanted. So thanks to the communal wisdom on this site I wised up just in time. Kudos to all the moderators and Mesa Geniuses who uphold the faith and deliver the Boogie gospel. I bought this amp NYE 1992 and gigged it exclusively for 11 years before relocating to London, leaving it 12000 miles away in storage for 18 years as life took other directions and amps. Now, after 30 years on tour, I like waking up at home and walking down the hall to my studio. I love this amp, but it deserves to be heard and it's time for the next road dog to wail on it. It's had a minor service from a trusted tech who cleaned pots and resoldered speaker wire and 2 dry joints. Before I put it out there, would anyone like to check the pics and tell me:
1. Does anything look non-stock? 2. What output tubes would the panel advise I replace the existing tired glass with? I ran matched 4 x STR 415's when it was my go to, but those are now in other amps so I'm open to suggestions.
TIA
m

Attachments

• MB 01.JPG
    MB 01.JPG
    328.8 KB · Views: 3
  • MB 02.jpg
    MB 02.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 0
  • MB 02a.png
    MB 02a.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • MB 07.JPG
    MB 07.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 0
  • MB 08.JPG
    MB 08.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 0
  • MB 09.JPG
    MB 09.JPG
    253.5 KB · Views: 0
  • MB 10.jpg
    MB 10.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 0
  • MB 12.jpg
    MB 12.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
  • MB 14.jpg
    MB 14.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 0
  • MB 15.jpg
    MB 15.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 0
Nice score!!! So to speak. Your serial # is in the transition range so the + may be factory original or modded but if modded at the factory or by someone that knows what they are doing a plus is a plus.

Many of the IIC+ have a 105 power transformer that most modern tubes wont stand for. If that was your PT you would have been limited to old 415, 454, 425 (5881A) or JJ due to plate voltage. Not all 105's have 500+ volts so there is variance.

You have the xport tranny tho so you dodged that bullet. The aforementioned tubes still stand but unless your plate volts are particularly high you could throw some 440's or really whatever you want.

I don't stay up on the newer re-issues of old tube names so others here can chime in on those "Mullards" etc.

As for work the power supply board looks to have newer black caps that replaced a light blue pair of 50uF, and either a blue or silver pair of 220uF ones. That is the only thing obvious to my eyes with that resolution.

It also seems someone hard wired the mains selector to 240V so it will need to be wired back to original or hardwired to 120V mains if used stateside.

Now for the question everyone wants to know, how much are you asking? Even tho I'm in the minority here I'm not always happy with the EQ and am drawn to these non-EQ ones.

If it was a plus mod not done by the factory it would be a good idea for the new owner to send this amp to Mike in Petaluma.

The marker color is not what I have ever seen Mike use so there is uncertainty about the plus work.

The mains could be wired back while there.

Hey EM thanks for the feedback, you raise some interesting points, but it has passed the fx loop test. The + over the mains cable is a different colour and size of marker nib from the 12AX7's on the bottom of the chassis but similar in colour to the original looking MB initial and 5/84 date in front of V4, Both sets of initials and the date and + appear faded like the sharpie is running out of ink. As I'm back in lil ol' Noo Zealand, getting the amp to MB in CA might be possible mid next year, but I was hoping to find it a new home before then. The paper sticker on the chassis end between the HRX and 15 might give a clue to MB as it has the following info in ball point pen: 26/44, PO 1301, Sound One, HRX CL and 15 in red marker. I would venture that refers to no 26 of a bulk order of 44 amps for Sound One, Purchase Order 1301. HRX - this amp code, (no clue what CL is) built in week 15. I'll shoot him an email, is the support addy on Mesa site the best way to contact him? FYI I bought this beauty the day it was traded in NZ from the original Rockshop retail store in Auckland. I know the partners Mick Webb and Paul Skipper well. They are also current NZ Distributors for Mesa, but the amp techs are regional and sub contract to the Rockshop head office and are not known to me. Paul Crowther, the inventor of the 'Hot Cake' and other pedals has always looked after my amps here and I hope that Mike B might be aware of Paul's superb skills and consent to him doing any work needed. I had a price in mind but I think I'll wait to hear back from MB re the provenance etc before making that decision, but I smell your interest and you'll be the first to know. Thanks for the info. M

Nice sleuthing.
For provenance I think between your sleuth skills and the serial # it is resolved.
I thought I was reading 122xx but now see it is 127xx. The former would have left a question mark and does not fit 5/84 but the actual serial puts it firmly in plus territory.

And now we know the marker can be untypical.

I aspire to have a non-EQ plus someday and you keenly sensed my interest.
Buying any plus atm however would probably be me not facing reality unless I were to sell some things.

I have a factory DRG C+ head serial # 12732. I'm the original owner. Nowhere are MB initials. Just three little itty bitty dots by each power tube socket. Just RS initials by AC cord. Wonder what Mike was when mine was being built or modded? Is that when he went with Prince touring?

I have a factory DRG C+ head serial # 12732. I'm the original owner. Nowhere are MB initials. Just three little itty bitty dots by each power tube socket. Just RS initials by AC cord. Wonder what Mike was when mine was being built or modded? Is that when he went with Prince touring?
Cool! Any pics?

I aspire to have a non-EQ plus someday and you keenly sensed my interest.
Buying any plus atm however would probably be me not facing reality unless I were to sell some things.
While waiting for a reply from MB, I reached out to my network and was contacted by Nev Claughton who owned the NZ company Sound One which assembled Roland cube amps and some Mesa amps under contract around the time mine was built. He will look through his records to check serial no's. Sound One also imported some amps fully built from Petaluma, having MB initials, I suspect mine is one of those.

AFAIK Prince's 1984 concert dates started 06/30/ and rolled into the Purple Rain tour starting 11/04. My HRX is dated 5/84 on chassis and yours is 30 units earlier, which raises the question what build stage does the date on chassis mark and how long was the production time for each amp? Does yours have 12AX7 or date X/XX handwritten in marker/sharpie anywhere underside of chassis? Do prod dates on any other components - pots, caps, fan etc shed any light? Here's a link to another pic off a google search and I've seen enough similar pics here to conclude yours is the exception to the many and RS is Randall Smith. https://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/mesa-boogie-mark-iic-head-2056099.jpg
I'll post again when I get answers from MB and NC in NZ referred to above. Happy holidays y'all.

AFAIK Prince's 1984 concert dates started 06/30/ and rolled into the Purple Rain tour starting 11/04. My HRX is dated 5/84 on chassis and yours is 30 units earlier, which raises the question what build stage does the date on chassis mark and how long was the production time for each amp? Does yours have 12AX7 or date X/XX handwritten in marker/sharpie anywhere underside of chassis? Do prod dates on any other components - pots, caps, fan etc shed any light? Here's a link to another pic off a google search and I've seen enough similar pics here to conclude yours is the exception to the many and RS is Randall Smith. https://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/mesa-boogie-mark-iic-head-2056099.jpg
I'll post again when I get answers from MB and NC in NZ referred to above. Happy holidays y'all.
Yes. There are 12ax7 in black sharpie along with 4/84 , i believe. No MB initials anywhere. Not even on construction tag that came with it with all of the ppl who helped build it. Im assuming Mike is the one who puts the p!us sign on rear of chassis. Mine didnt have one. Long story if anyone's interested. I believe. Ill verify when I pull chassis and post pics. And there's 3 tiny dots by each power tube socket. 🤔 As far as dating components, I don't know what to look for.

Last edited:
Couple pics. Don't know what Rep means. Anyone? A repaired amp? I've had nothing but problems with this amp. I think I got a lemon. I was NEVER floored by its tone when I first received it. I labeled preamp sockets myself.

Attachments

• 17036215328453544565061269807900.jpg
    17036215328453544565061269807900.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 17036217104526157480471324562732.jpg
    17036217104526157480471324562732.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 0
I want/ would love to know why M Bendinelli is nowhere attached to my amp. Something isn't adding up here based on others comments and dates on their chassis. Everyone that I know who has a C+ and loves it, they all have his initials on chassis. Again, does anyone know what Rep means on my chassis or care to guess? Are these the interns initials!? It sure seems like it. I got a show and tell model ! An honest question, who's initials are those? For the price I paid for it, I have the right to know . I want to get to the bottom of this . I got a lemon but just can't fn prove it. Thanx guys! Any help is welcomed!

I want/ would love to know why M Bendinelli is nowhere attached to my amp. Something isn't adding up here based on others comments and dates on their chassis. Everyone that I know who has a C+ and loves it, they all have his initials on chassis. Again, does anyone know what Rep means on my chassis or care to guess? Are these the interns initials!? It sure seems like it. I got a show and tell model ! An honest question, who's initials are those? For the price I paid for it, I have the right to know . I want to get to the bottom of this . I got a lemon but just can't fn prove it. Thanx guys! Any help is welcomed!
I’ve seen others where it’s only Randall’s signature so that doesn’t seem suspect to me. Not sure about the “rep”… could be repair/replace but seems like it’s related to the 4.84 date marking.

Again, does anyone know what Rep means on my chassis or care to guess?
I do believe that is a badge of honor not a repair or reject: RCS aka Randall C Smith, not Rep. My 2 cents.

Now reportedly it was Mike and Doug tinkering while the cat was away that brought about the plus so maybe yours doesn't release the hounds the way Mike made sure of? Taming the beast so to speak?

It is not too late to put it in Mike's hands as costly a proposition as that would be for shipping if you are down under. It sounds like you are quite capable of making changes and adjustments.

I do believe that is a badge of honor not a repair or reject: RCS aka Randall C Smith, not Rep. My 2 cents.

Now reportedly it was Mike and Doug tinkering while the cat was away that brought about the plus so maybe yours doesn't release the hounds the way Mike made sure of? Taming the beast so to speak?

It is not too late to put it in Mike's hands as costly a proposition as that would be for shipping if you are down under. It sounds like you are quite capable of making changes and adjustments.
Thanx for the replies !. I'm iffy about that Rep. I kinda see where it could be Rcs in cursive. But not conclusive. I'm gonna try to find some picts. Can you point me to any?Anyway, there's no way I'm sending back. That would be the THIRD time. First time was a waste of time and money. Someone forgot to put the "+" sign on rear after it was recommended that I send it back for the upgrade. I should've told them to keep it and refund me. Live and learn. 2nd time was for repair. I'll figure it out. This info would be very difficult to find but what makes a C a C+ , component wise? I reside in the wonderful USA. Thanks everyone. Keep it coming. Jim

This is on my 76 and I could dig up some pics on a purple stripe for Eddie Money I stupidly sold:

Attachments

• 20230324_174503.jpg
    20230324_174503.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 0
Back