Roadster Head vs. Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiSeRY

Reaction score
I play in a very loud, 3-piece post-hardcore/punk band. Currently I have a Dual Rec and a 4x12 cab to keep up with my bass player who is very loud and plays through an Ampeg 8x10. Looking to buy a Roadster instead of the Rec and was looking at the combo. When I test played it at GC, it seemed loud as hell, but some people are telling me that I won't be able to come close to touching the volume of my bass player if I don't run an additional 4x12 with the Roadster combo. Any thoughts on this, or should I stick with the Roadster head and a 4x12?

Thanks

You guys would have to be mindwarpingly loud for the combo to not cut it.

Down sides--The combo is just over 100 pounds and has no side handles :shock: As well, it has vibration issues that limit your preamp tube choices if you're into that kind of thing. The Mesa Russian 2s work OK but anything else has to be a short plate.

If you don't mind the weight, though, it'll fit in a small car which a 4x12 won't. So if you leave your 4x12 at the rehearsal space you can hump the combo around instead of the head and still have a full setup for playing outside your usual jams.

Nobody really needs a 4x12 - extra speakers only add a few decibels (2-3 I think?). Just mic it!

why don't u get a mesa roadster head + 2x12 cabinet. Pretty sweet rig. You can also get another 2x12 - if u want 4x12 for big shows.

i don't think your problem is a much of a volume thing as it could be a eq thing. you may just need to find the place for you tone to sit. how you eq when you are all alone is different when you are in a band setting. you may need more mids or something. turning the dials is a cheaper alternative to all

vertigo_ said:
why don't u get a mesa roadster head + 2x12 cabinet. Pretty sweet rig. You can also get another 2x12 - if u want 4x12 for big shows.

I agree. Also if you get two 2x12 cabs, you can put one cab on your side of the stage and the other on the bass player's side of the side. It'll sound louder that way because the sound will be coming from two different sides.

well, most of the clubs we play at, don't have the best sound systems and my bass player does turn up crazy loud...and he won't turn down. we end up having these weird sound pockets on stage where all i can hear are overtones instead of the music itself. it's the stage volume, i'm more worried about losing. playing the roadster combo in the store was plenty loud, but everyone's argument is that GC loud is not STAGE loud. idno...i'm totally perplexed on what to do.

MiSeRY said:
well, most of the clubs we play at, don't have the best sound systems and my bass player does turn up crazy loud...and he won't turn down. we end up having these weird sound pockets on stage where all i can hear are overtones instead of the music itself. it's the stage volume, i'm more worried about losing. playing the roadster combo in the store was plenty loud, but everyone's argument is that GC loud is not STAGE loud. idno...i'm totally perplexed on what to do.

well if your bass player is turning up crazy loud and not willing to turn down - That is the main problem. Before going out and changing out expensive gear for a person who is being unreasonable, take care of the problem with the person first. But if he is sting...then change ur gears!

Latest posts

Back