Blue Angel....just wow.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbutcher65

Reaction score
Back when the Blue Angel was a pretty new model, I got to spend an evening with one and a semi-hollowbody guitar of my own making. The combination was truly memorable. I said, someday I'll have that amp or one like it. I missed my chance to buy that particular one but I've been biding my time, being patient, waiting...and finally found the right one at the right price. A 1x12 combo version for 800 bucks plus shipping.

It arrived today and I've spent a fair amount of time playing it. I now have the impression that it's generally the same concept as a Trainwreck Express, a low powered push-pull amp that's designed to be controlled from the guitar's volume and tone controls. And it's absolutely magical!

Even though I don't currently have a semi-hollowbody to use with it, it's very nearly as interactive and responsive with a solidbody. The tone is rich and full and has all the right harmonics when pushed. Sparkly clear highs, a PUNCHY midrange, and a well contoured bass response that manages to aovid getting flabby or blatting out even at high settings, really quite a trick there. And....hands down the smoothest transition from clean to overdrive I've EVER encountered. There's a range where you really can't tell if it's clean or not. That's something I really value.
It's an amp that makes me want to spend more time playing and play in ways I don't normally do. It inspires me, and that's what makes me put in the work to become a better player.

I think this is my "desert island" amp.

This amp came to me literally the day after I got another grail amp, a blue stripe Mark III long head. Which I revere for its savage aggression that not even my recently acquired Mark 5:90 can quite duplicate. (Which is also a phenomenal machine, and the highest quality, smoothest performing multi-channel amp I've ever played.)

I've added FOUR Mesa amps to my collection in the last month. All are wonderful in their own right. But the Blue Angel is the one that makes me reach out and play with creativity and inspiration, far more so than any other.

If a Blue Angel crosses your path, TRY IT. It may be the amp you're really looking for, you just don't know it yet.

So I bought a Blue Angel 1 x 12 a few years back. Stupidly traded for a cool amp (Trinity Triwatt head). Now I really want a 4 x 10 Blue Angel.
I am sure with some NOS tubes it will be fantastico!!
Legend has it that Hamer guitars used a 1 x 12 Blue Angel to test it's guitars.

Back