Roadking el-34's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prvv

Reaction score
I was wondering with the Roadking with el-34's how close I can get to the sound of a stiletto?

I've never really played a Stiletto, but channels 1, 3 & 4 are basic Rectifier sounds and even with EL34's it still sounds like a Dual Rectifier. Channel 2 set to Brit is a completley different sound, it can sound VERY Marshall-ish (compared to a JCM800). I've got a couple clips posted on my guitar test site at www.guitartest.moonfruit.com . Go to the page titled "Road King clips" and give them a listen, I've got some lead and (live) rhythm tracks, so forgive the sloppiness :wink: .

tele_jas said:
I've never really played a Stiletto, but channels 1, 3 & 4 are basic Rectifier sounds and even with EL34's it still sounds like a Dual Rectifier. Channel 2 set to Brit is a completley different sound, it can sound VERY Marshall-ish (compared to a JCM800). I've got a couple clips posted on my guitar test site at www.guitartest.moonfruit.com . Go to the page titled "Road King clips" and give them a listen, I've go some lead and (live) rhythm tracks, so forgive the sloppiness :wink: .

Nice tone and playing bro! very nice!

Nice stuff Tele_jas.

Can't wait for my RK to turn up having heard that.

Andy.

P.S. have you thought of posting some stuff as backing tracks that other members can record takes over and then post them up?

It's somthing we do at another forum I belong to. Works really well as you get to hear lots of other peoples ideas and takes on YOUR music.

I know a lot of folks will say "Yeah, but their stealing my stuff!" You have to self regulate. Nobody steals other peoples music from this other forum. WE, the members, see to that.

prvv said:
I was wondering with the Roadking with el-34's how close I can get to the sound of a stiletto?

I think that Ch. 3 or 4 in Raw mode will give you a refreshing sound. It doesn't sound exactly like a Stiletto, but it has a very lush and broad harmonic spread (especially when used with 2xEL34). Try experimenting with Triode/Pentode mode because engaging 5 diodes vs. 3 will greatly tighten your sound at the expense of reduced harmonic spread and vintage-like sag. Also, make sure you run in Spongy mode.

ditto,
totally different, with the two el34 the roadking still sounds like the dual recto.
I own a roadking head and I tried the stiletto a couple of times.

As I mentioned before, I wouldn't expect a RK to sound like a Stiletto, but there's something wrong if the only sounds you can get all sound like a Dual Recto.

It's always interesting to read threads like this about the RK. The RK is a very tempermental piece of equipment, as you can see from the myriad responses.

That being said, I've spent countless hours tweaking my RK (I virtually stopped practicing for 5 months, and allocated all of my practice time to tweaking my RK). I'm glad I did, because I can now do anything with my RK.

Some of tones that I am most proud of accomplishing are:
1. Mark IIc+ Rhythm
2. Lone Star Clean (the piezo/electromagnetic pickup combination on my EBJPMM probably gives an advantage here).
3. Lush, harmonic Rock sag (for lack of a better description).

I use a RK head / RK 4x12 / John Petrucci Music Man Axe. No effects (except occassional reverb on the RK, which sucks by the way).

I'm not going to post my settings here, but as an example of how sensitive the RK is, consider that if I change from spongy to bold, then my c+ sound goes straight to hell. Likewise, if I change to a different speaker selection, or if I switch the power section, then I loose the c+ sound.

You have to be patient with your RK, and you have to carefully taylor your settings to your own equipment (if I use my Ibanez with the same RK settings as my EBJPMM, it sounds completely different).

Latest posts

Back