TAD Redbase tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The TAD red base EL34 sound great, I bought a set of Mesa STR446 and ran them in the Badlander. Nice tube. I went back to the stock STR447 since I run two BADs in my rig. Will use the STR446 when I get my hands on a second quad.

TAD red base 6L6GC Mesa STR448, love these in the JP2C, almost as good if not better than the STR415. I am exploring their use with the Mark VII but only one pair in the class A/B sockets, the other pair in the class A are the stock tube STR445.

I do not own any amps that use the EL-84 so no comment. Also have not tried the 12AX7 or the 7025. These tubes are sourced from Psvane tube company in China. Some of the people from Shuguang are not with Psvane. Some of the others formed a new company. Linlai tubes. not sure what has happened since the Shuguang fire.

The TAD red base EL34 sound great, I bought a set of Mesa STR446 and ran them in the Badlander. Nice tube. I went back to the stock STR447 since I run two BADs in my rig. Will use the STR446 when I get my hands on a second quad.

TAD red base 6L6GC Mesa STR448, love these in the JP2C, almost as good if not better than the STR415. I am exploring their use with the Mark VII but only one pair in the class A/B sockets, the other pair in the class A are the stock tube STR445.

I do not own any amps that use the EL-84 so no comment. Also have not tried the 12AX7 or the 7025. These tubes are sourced from Psvane tube company in China. Some of the people from Shuguang are not with Psvane. Some of the others formed a new company. Linlai tubes. not sure what has happened since the Shuguang fire.

Thanks for the response..that’s excellent information..I greatly appreciate it!

Forgot to mention the STR448 in the gray bias color sounded epic in the Badlander, first time I really liked running the 6L6 tube in that amp. I did say I much prefer the EL34 tubes but the STR448 (gray) were just as great. I mention the bias color for a reason, that is what I ran. I also have the STR448 in red bias color, not great in the BAD. A bit on the weak side.

STR448 (reds) do blend well with the STR445 (yellows) in the Mark VII. The 445 in the center and the 448 in the outer sockets. Perfect sound to me. Almost hard to tell if there is a difference but you can hear it when you change from 90W to 45W in a cleaner channel.

As I have learned, not all tubes are great in all Mesa amps. The same set of tubes will behave differently in one model to the next. JP2C, Badlander STR448 were great, Roadster, MWDR no so epic, perhaps too much power tube distortion.

Change in bias color from gray to reds, not epic in the JP2C or Badlander, not that ideal in the Roadster but the MWDR was interesting (just interesting not a desired tube). The Flip side is the STR448 reds do a great job in the outer sockets of the Mark VII with the STR445 (yellow) in the center sockets.

TC, did not try the STR448. STR446 sounded much the same as the STR447. I could not tell the difference. The Badlander does seem to reveal a different character and I feel the STR446 sounded better than the STR447.

Back