Road King Cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cochise

Reaction score
Hello all. Been checking out this forum for awhile just never posted.
This is the 3rd time of trying to start this topic. Hope it works this time.

I have been thinking of getting a Road King and just wondering how the RK cabs are. I have only played it through a standard recto cab. Just wondering how they both compare with the RK head?

Thanks.

the rk cab is great cause its half closed back and half open back.
so you can run your clean channel thru the open back, dirty thru
the closed back and lead through both.

vulture2600 said:
the rk cab is great cause its half closed back and half open back.
so you can run your clean channel thru the open back, dirty thru
the closed back and lead through both.

last I checked thats just a 3/4 back.
The only difference is the way its wired makes the speaker selection from the roadking itself a lot easier.

If you really need all the extra sounds of a Roadking, then you might need the extra speaker config options of the roadking cab. Also depends on what kind of music you are playing.

I have the roadking head and cab (slant).

It is a 3/4 back setup, and it is nice to have the ability to cabinet switch from closed to open within the same cab.

But, it also has some disadvantages depending on what sound your going for. If your mainly after a nice tight percussive Metal sound blaring on all 4 speakers the normal cabinet may be better for u.

On the reverse if you like a nice sparkly clean sound with lots of headroom along with the rest of the sounds the amp can produce the roadking cabinet is awesome.

I'm going to be trying the head on a Marshall cab later today at a friends house so i'll try to post about that later also.

I have the RK head and the RK 4x12 slant cabinet. I agree completely with tavman. To reiterate tavman's comment, I'd recommend a traditional 4x12 closed cabinet if you are most interesed in percussive metallica-type sounds. Otherwise, I recomend the RK head/cab combination since it provides unrivaled versatility (including some of the best cleans that you'll ever hear).

while I cant say Ive a lot of experience with roadking cabs, and I do play modern metal and generally prefer closed back cabs, I find a 3/4 back cab is still enough to get some tight sounds out of if you just watch your EQ. 1/2 back I cant live with though.

it's not that you can't get some good metal sounds out of it, but if it's the percussive thing your after (and alot of people asking about the rectifier series seem to be after that) imo the closed back would be a better choice.

i have no problems getting a good pantera(ish) sound out of the amp with the roadking cab, but if i use just the closed portion you can definitely tell the difference with the tightness of it.

Are the v30's seperated from the c90's? If they are, which they should be. It's basically like having 2-2x12s, right?

Now the head.
I've been thinking of just getting something else all together as far as the head goes. I went to 5 GC's(was in the neighborhood) before I found one where it was in stock, and only spent a little time on it. But once I had a chance to play through it a little bit I was really liking what I was hearing. I'd would much rather bring it home to check out further. Ive been trying to compromise between my ears and my wallet. I could get 2 heads for the price of the RK.

the speakers are seperated, so yeah it is pretty much 2 2x12s.

as far as the different amps it all depends on what you like. i tend to like the sound of mesa's all the way around, so with the 4 channels on the amp its pretty much like having 2-3 amps at once. then again if you like them you could pick up lets say a JSX a 5150 and maybe even one other for the same price.

Cochise...
If you are thinking of the RK head...GO for it. I have the combo, and the versatility I get is unmached. It' s worth putting in some time to find the best tweaks for each channel....great stuff.

RB

As you mentioned, I highly recommend taking a RK home for further testing.

I've had my RK for four months, and I can honestly say that just in the past week or so I've become comfortable with dialing in any sound that's in my head. I play every day for at least 1-2 hours. Needless to say, I've had my fair share of frustrating moments with the RK, but all of those moments were great learning experiences.

Could any of you Road King owners share some settings? I got a RK Combo about a month ago, and I love it, but I'm still experimenting trying to work out some great distortion tones on Ch 3 + 4.

Ch 3

modern

master 1:30
presence 11:00
bass 2:30
mid 11:30
tre 1:00
gain 12:45

both sets of 6l6
closed side of roadking cab
diode tracking
about 70% on the mix

have it eq'd to scoop some of the mids with a para, and running a parallel with a rocktron xpression

I am looking for a really cool chanel 2 sound found my clean already but looking for somthing cool; any ideas?

Ch 2
Brit Mode
Tube Tracking
Spongy/Bold to taste
2xEL34
Triode/Pentode to taste
Gain: Dimed
Treble: 3:00
Mid: 11:00
Bass: 9:00 - 9:15
Presence: 12:00-12:15
Master: To taste