Recto Cabs (Standard vs Traditional)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
Found the quote below on a recording site. Kind of re-framed how I view these cabs. I checked around some more and found it was a recurring theme on recording forums.

For those who're new to Mesa;

The Recto Standard is the oversized Recto cabs
The Recto Traditional are now called the 'Stiletto' cabs.

I wanted to share some recent experiences with these two cabs with you.

Most of my prior guitar recording experiences focus around recording the Mesa Traditional cab. This one has a very interesting and unique midrange focus not really found in any other cabinet. It can do a certain sound well, but I always found it lacking in some regards as the kind of tone I tend to be after is focused differently.

Well, lo and behold the other day I got a chance (along with some friends) to try out the Recto Standard alongside the Traditional with these amp heads:

EVH 5150 III
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
ENGL Invader 100W

There were 3 guitarists there, myself included. We all thought the Recto Standard consistently performed better with all 3 amps, and with both our guitars (Jackson Rhoads, Alder body, Duncans etc. & Schecter Hellraiser C7, Mahogany, EMG 707s).

The difference, in the best terms I can describe, is hearing your tone through a boombox/radio compared to a full-range speaker system. The Recto Standard has a strong mid-mid and upper-mid focus that gives you a rather full tone. My main complaint about it is the loose low-end, but I'm sure with the right tools that could be tweaked (we had no tubescreamers on hand, sadly).

The traditional cab, whilst having its own unique sound, has a fairly brittle, buzzy upper-mid & very full low-mid. That's what distinguishes the characteristic sound to me... the low-mids sound a certain way, and as soon as you get a 5150 or Recto through it boosted by a TS, you start to hear where The Sneap is coming from (edit: Sneap is a member of the UltimateMetal forum).

I personally like a stronger tone, and one more channeled into the mid rather than low-mid. Nordstrom's tones on Nightrage's 'Sweet Vengeance' and In Flames' 'Clayman' have been amongst my very favourite for years. The Recto Traditional cab focuses the tone more into that range. Having said that, I know Nordstrom likes the ENGL V30 cab, unfortunately for us however, none were on hand to compare with.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...onal-vs-standard-recto-cab-some-thoughts.html

Anyway, I've been doing something thinking and some further reading on the subject and this is what I've pieced together...

For starters, the description of the Recto Traditional is exactly what I hear in my Orange 4x12, which makes sense in a way because they're somewhat similar.

The gist of what I hear with my Orange 4x12 is that the 'attack' comes out high in the upper midrange, which tends to be where V30s sound their harshest. Then, the bassy follow through (the "G" in a 'chugging' palm muted riff) comes out in the low midrange, which is where guitar tends to sound muddy and indistinct. It's something that I never totally realized until I started A/Bing with a Recto 2x12. After a couple of weeks of using the Recto 2x12 I plugged my Orange 4x12 in and I couldn't figure out why the bass on my Orange 4x12 was so overbearing, why the mids sounded absent and why the cab sounded like mud. I was going to tear it apart this weekend and test all the wiring to see if I didn't mess something up last time I swapped speakers in that cab, however the quote above perfectly explained what I'm hearing. For me this was a bit of a mind-**** since I'd always been of the opinion that the Recto cab is loose and boomy, yet here one was being tight and clear.

My assumption is that the detuning of the Recto standard cab shifts both the attack emphasis and the bass emphasis down in frequency. So, instead of having your attack emphasized in the harsh part of the V30s response it sits a little lower in frequency where the V30 sounds smoother. Further, the bass response is shifted from the low mids to the bass frequencies. This tightens and adds clarity to guitar, but gives that slow, saggy response Recto cabs are known for whist also interfering with the bassist.

The trick is that once a microphone is on the speaker that extra bass response can be EQ'd out, so what you end up with is an overall increase to the midrange with a reduced bottom end response that makes for more smoother, fuller middle tones and improved tightness/clarity on the bottom end than the smaller cab provides.

Keep in mind these guys are playing metal.

I honestly find a Traditional Rectocab / Stiletto cab to be tighter, more mid focused, less bassy, and less muddy. It sounds very similar to a Marshall 4 x 12 but with more thump. With a Recto, it preferences the vintage high gain setting on the amp. Basically, it does great punk rock tones.

I found the Standard Rectocab to be almost scooped sounding with more sparkling highs and a huge and woofy low end. Turning down the bass helps a lot in the woofing department though. The thing I found annoying was that the cab had this weird sort of resonance that I couldn't dial out no matter what I did. It sounded really muddy which really interfered with the overly complex nature of recto distortion. Keep in mind I don't play much metal. Strangely enough, I find a Marshall JCM2000 head sounds FANTASTIC through a rectocab. With a Recto, the standard rectocab preferences the Modern High Gain tones.

Like you said, micing the cab also changes how it sounds through a PA which is, quite frankly, pretty awesome. Based on my experience building a couple of cabs, I would add a ported centre baffle to a rectocab to tighten it up without deadening it.

Oddly enough, when I still had a Recto 4x12 I never liked using Modern High Gain with it (too scooped). It wasn't until I switched to using smaller Orange cabs (which are similar to the Stilettos) that I started using Modern instead of Vintage. I find Vintage through the Orange cabs to produce a very 'punky' sound, whereas Modern gives more of a heavy/hard rock sort of sound.

Interesting yet logical read, makes me think about a different approach when using my ADA EQ.

Btw i always assumed my cab was a traditional cab and not an oversized one, Is there a way i can tell for sure? I dont have a way to compair it to something i know for sure is a oversized..so im just curious?

Yetti said:
Interesting yet logical read, makes me think about a different approach when using my ADA EQ.

Btw i always assumed my cab was a traditional cab and not an oversized one, Is there a way i can tell for sure? I dont have a way to compair it to something i know for sure is a oversized..so im just curious?

Traditional is about 30" tall. Oversized is about 33" tall.

IME, I've always gravitated towards the Traditional because I prefer the tone of that cab in conjunction with my other amps such as the Roadster...

screamingdaisy said:
Oddly enough, when I still had a Recto 4x12 I never liked using Modern High Gain with it (too scooped). It wasn't until I switched to using smaller Orange cabs (which are similar to the Stilettos) that I started using Modern instead of Vintage. I find Vintage through the Orange cabs to produce a very 'punky' sound, whereas Modern gives more of a heavy/hard rock sort of sound.

Yes, different application for different tones. Everyone's ears and needs are different, not to mention the massive influence of guitars and pickups on tone. I found the modern high gain mode with a Standard Rectocab sounded huge, like the tone fully filled the cab. I'd simply turn the mids up and the bass down to get the sound I wanted. Vintage High Gain just sounded undergained with my Les Paul and didn't get the thickness or girth I wanted for the sound. With the Bareknuckle Rebel Yells, I'll have to try some things since they tend to sounder hotter and phatter than the Burstbucker Pros. They also have much more clarity, which is strange.

The solution here was to get 2 2 x 12s that did the two tones I wanted. I still prefer the modern high gain with my Les Paul and I prefer that except for low volume applications, where vintage high gain sounds like the tubes crunch sooner. Now we're in Toronto, I have to store my Mock 212B at my friend's place because he have literally no room. I don't think I'll get to play my gear much for practicing now, but I'm going to get some headphones for my practice amp so I can keep up on my technique regimes.

Latest posts

Back