Rectifier / Stiletto 2x12 vs Stiletto (Traditional) 4x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resonant Alien

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am re-purchasing a rig that I stupidly sold last year :(

Did a search on this and found some related info, but not specific to my question.

Anyway, previous rig was a 3ch (non-multi-watt) Dual Rec and a Traditional/Stiletto 4x12. It was **** near perfect tone-wise for me. I was lucky enough to find a used 3ch DR for the same price as I sold mine for, so came out even there.

My dilemma is the cab. I really liked the tone of the DR+Stiletto 4x12 (didn't like the oversized Recto 4x12 as much), but I would really really like to have a more portable setup with a 2x12, if I can find something that comes close to the Stiletto 4x12. I have never played through either the Stiletto or Recto 2x12s (the short/wide/fat ones), but I tried several other brand 2x12s in my last go round with the DR, and they were all too beamy/thin/midrangey. However, these were all the "normal" 2x12 construction - i.e. tall and not very deep, like a combo chassis. Given that the Stiletto and Recto 2x12s are constructed quite a bit differently, being short, wide and fat :), I am sure they do not sound anything like a "normal" 2x12 type construction.

My local stores don't have any Mesa 2x12s in stock for me to try out, so I was hoping you guys could help.

How close in tone are the wide/fat Mesa 2x12s to the Mesa 4x12s? And of the two (Recto 2x12 or Stiletto 2x12), which would sound most like the Stiletto 4x12? Looks like the Recto 2x12 is slightly bigger than the Stiletto 2x12.

I like the Stiletto 4x12 much better than the oversized Recto 4x12, so I would be looking for the 2x12 to be in that ball park.

Thanks for any help!
Rick

I have a Stiletto 4x12 and I often use my Randall oversized 2x12 which sounds very close in terms of thickness and projection. It is a Randall CS2x12 and it's 14 inches deep like the Stiletto and packs quite a punch as a result. Decently priced too. They come stock with V30's as well.

I'm planning on keeping my Dual Rectifier because I don't want this same thing happening to me.

I'd say get the Stiletto 4 x 12 first. Then consider the most awesome thing ever about heads: you can have a couple of cabs for different applications. The Recto 2 x 12s actually sound really awesome when you get a bit of air moving with them. I'd suggest picking up a 2 x 12 down the line so you have something that you can grab and go for those more 'portable' situations.

I really wish I had gotten a Stiletto 4 x 12 as well. They really sound great to my ears, particularly with the more mid focus with tighter bass and more gentle highs. My oversized 2 x 12 is two thirds the size of a rectocab and only really cuts off about 30 lbs. Still, 70lbs is better to move than 100!!!

The oversized cab is based on a Mills Acoustics Mach 212B. It sounds more like a small rectocab than a small stiletto cab. The difference is that it is tighter than the rectocab and has more mids / much less mud to the tone. http://millsacoustics.com/212B.html
If you want a BIG sounding 2 x 12, this will do it.

As for a Stiletto 4 x 12, nothing really will sound quite like it other than a Stiletto 4 x 12.

YellowJacket said:
I'm planning on keeping my Dual Rectifier because I don't want this same thing happening to me.

That's my broski right there. :wink:

Thanks guys.

"As for a Stiletto 4 x 12, nothing really will sound quite like it other than a Stiletto 4 x 12"

In my heart, I also know this is true. I can't tell you guys how many amps and cabs I've been through over the years looking for the sound I want, and I had it with the DR+Stiletto 4x12, so I'm probably fooling myself thinking that I should do anything different this time around....

I do like the idea of having both - nice gear slut frame of mind... :lol:

YellowJacket said:

STEREO RIG!

Also, +1 on Mills cabs

b0nkersx said:
YellowJacket said:

STEREO RIG!

Also, +1 on Mills cabs

Excuse my ignorance, but don't you need some sort of fancy schmancy footwsitching system for that?
I definitely am thinking of getting an ABY box. I'd love to use the ED for Clean, Crunch, and Lead, and have the Dual Rectifier with the Orange channel for lead, and the Red channel for MEAN EPIC CRUNCH!

YellowJacket said:
Excuse my ignorance, but don't you need some sort of fancy schmancy footwsitching system for that?
I definitely am thinking of getting an ABY box. I'd love to use the ED for Clean, Crunch, and Lead, and have the Dual Rectifier with the Orange channel for lead, and the Red channel for MEAN EPIC CRUNCH!

You need a fancy switching system if you want to gig with it normally and plan to switch channels during a gig. If you don't have some kind of switching system then you can't switch channels on each amp simultaneously.

If you're just going to noodle around with it at home, you'd be just fine by running your guitar into a pedal with stereo outputs into each amplifier. There are plenty of pedals which accomplish this.. even the new Boss TU-3 (which I use) tuner has dual outputs.

It's possible you may run into phase issues (a call to Mesa could probably tell you in a few minutes whether or not you would), in which case you would need an ABY box that has a polarity reverse on one output, like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/radial-engineering-bones-r800-7115-twin-city-a-b-y-footswitch

http://www.tonebone.com/bones-twincity.htm

Or something like this?

Anyway, not spending money on gear for a LOOOONG time!!! Got enough great gear to keep me busy for a good while!

Resonant Alien said:
How close in tone are the wide/fat Mesa 2x12s to the Mesa 4x12s? And of the two (Recto 2x12 or Stiletto 2x12), which would sound most like the Stiletto 4x12? Looks like the Recto 2x12 is slightly bigger than the Stiletto 2x12.

The Recto 2x12 sounds more or less like the slant Recto 4x12. The only real difference I notice is that the 2x12 produces slightly less mids than the 4x12, so the 2x12 tends to sound a little less in your face as a result. The difference is subtle, but noticeable.

That said, they both sound like a Recto cab and no one will mistake them for anything different.

Latest posts

Back