Question about simulclass VS full/half power

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Facelift

Reaction score
I have a line on a Mark III long head that has a full power and 1/2 power switch on the front, but on the back it says simul-class. I thought these were different and the full power/half power meant 100/60 watt but simul-class would mean 75/15 watt or 85/15 watt if its a green stripe right? Can someone explain whats going on with this please? Maybe they used a different faceplate or something?

For whatever reason, who knows, it is, indeed, Simul-Class, not full/half. Every long head, with the "Full/Half" switch on the front panel, and the Simul-Class sticker, is like this.

thanks for the reply. Now i just need to figure out which stripe it is. The guy said there doesnt seem to be any stripe on it on the back of the chassis. The serial number is 244xx so Im thinking its either a blue or green since mine is a blue with an earlier serial #.

Let me add to the confusion. I have the following:
Blue stripe Simul combo: #244xx.
Green stripe Simul combo: #249xx.
But - I have a Blue stripe 60/100 that's #278xx.
On the Green stripe Simuls, the outer power tube sockets are wired in pentode, where the Blues were wired in triode. This is why the Greens have 10 more watts.
There's probably no clear serial number demarcation between blue and Green stripes, and I seem to remember they were produced concurrently. These were made 'way back in the day when you could only purchase Mesas from the factory, or at a very few dealers, on a pretty much custom order basis.

MrMarkIII said:
Let me add to the confusion. I have the following:
Blue stripe Simul combo: #244xx.
Green stripe Simul combo: #249xx.
But - I have a Blue stripe 60/100 that's #278xx.
On the Green stripe Simuls, the outer power tube sockets are wired in pentode, where the Blues were wired in triode. This is why the Greens have 10 more watts.
There's probably no clear serial number demarcation between blue and Green stripes, and I seem to remember they were produced concurrently. These were made 'way back in the day when you could only purchase Mesas from the factory, or at a very few dealers, on a pretty much custom order basis.

I have NEVER seen a 60/100 or a 60 watt green stripe Mark III. I think that they were headed in the all Simulclass direction by this point. For some reason if a Mark III was ordered other than a Simul format (this late in the game), it was the blue stripe, right up to the end of production.

Latest posts

Back