Please help me choose!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rispsira

Reaction score
Hi guys! i asked a couple questions here and there but thought id make a thread..

I have a mesa mark V which i love for its versatility and its "old school" tone. Lately i have been looking for a more "modern" sound to mix it with the mark V mostly but perhaps for its dedicated parts in a song if that's what its called for.

I did like that clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_61tE7aTwU&feature=PlayList&p=914B9C9E56EC7277&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=69

Which is simply a dual recto (sounded better than the engl but wont get into that right now). Though thats not exactly the type of music i play, it sounded a bit on the opposite end of the spectrum to me (compared to the mark) and at least on paper i think it would fit in well with the mark.

The problem now is:

What to choose!!!!!

I did a bit of researching here on the forum and what i have learned:
- The rectos are brighter than the roadsters
- the road king can get both the recto and roadster sound
- The triple recto is tighter than the dual.
- The 2010 (multi-watt) rectos sound the same as the respective dual and triple only have more options and a better clean (really happy with the cleans i have so far so i dont care much about that, the "recto sound" is what i am looking for)

1) do you guys agree with these statements or have i understood something wrong?
2) "tighter" is a term i wouldve preferred normally but having the mark V i think looser would not be a bad thing to have.. Not sure though as the recto might be used alone on some parts as well. (reffering to dual vs triple here). What is your opinion on that?
3) I cannot really know what "darker" really is (roadster) and if that would be good for me.. can you show me any clip/vid with good mic recording i could compare it with the vid above?
4) i like dthe vid above but am not saying that this is what i want compared to all the other options as i have NOT heard any other recto sound at all (dont wanna base my opinion on band recordings either..), or else i wouldve just bought the same amp in the vid

With all that in mind.. Should i go with the 2010 dual, 2010 triple, roadster, roadking????? LOL Any advice????

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

And sorry for the long-*** post :?

Get the Roadster or Road King II, no doubt. The normal rectos are brighter, but you can achieve that on the Roadster/Road King by turning up the presence. You can't turn the presence up too high on a normal recto without getting fizzzzzzzzzzz.

If you can fork the cash, you might as well get a Roadster/Road King. I know you said you're happy with your cleans/etc as is, but I promise you'll find the extra $200 jump from a Dual to a Roadster well worth it. The cleans, reverb, and other voicings (brit/tweed mode, darker/more open gain) are excellent.

If you think you would use the Road Kings extra features, you might as well get a Road King (assuming money is no issue). A Roadster is a Road King without different power tube matchings per channel, cabinet switching, and has no second effects loop.

The ONE thing a Roadster can do that a Road King can not is run four EL34s at the same time. The Road King can only ever run two at max, but I run all six tubes (four 6L6 + two EL34) at the same time for high gain, and it works great. It's tighter in the manner of a triple rec, but with a different character. It can get plenty loose and round if that's what you like, too.

Latest posts

Back