Overdrive pedal suggestion for Dual and single Recs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this thread inspired me to try a Bad Monkey with my TA and 20/20 rig. The result? I now own a bad monkey OD. I was shocked that i could apply a pedal to the TA and it just gave me another flavor to use instead of what I guess I've been used to with DS boxes (excessive noise, bad tone, etc). For $40 I don't think one can go wrong and besides if your rig blows up you can go direct to the board with the monkey to limp through a gig. Thanks to all who suggested and put in the time to try one for me :)

As far as the tube discussion:
I think the problem JJ's is the reliability factor in the pre tubes and the EL based tubes. Most people tend to say that "JJ" tubes sound bad when it may just be a malfunctioning tube. I am not trying to defend JJ but I noticed that when my amps sound different than normal with a full compliment of JJ's if I change to stock the sound improves over the "bad" tone(this usually comes from a bad tube or two in the amp causing a global tone change). In general I think the JJ's sound decent compared to stock Sov's and I like the JJ EL84 over the Sov EL84's. I have quite a few bad sounding JJ preamp tubes(ie defective) as opposed to none from other manufacturers (Sov, EH, Chinese, Mesa labeled chinese). The JJ's are not as rugged or sturdy as other tube makes. I am going to retube in the summertime and I will try a retube from Doug to see if he can get me set up with some nice tubes (thinking a couple Tung sols, Ei EL84s, 9th gen Shuguang pre tubes, and maybe so NOS to round out the collection). I heard Bob's customer service has gone down the tubes, no pun intended, in the past couple of years too. I remember the days when he was just starting and it was such a small operation but I guess now that he has kind of made a name for himself (whether it be good or bad it's still known by many internet guitarists) the customer service aspect has diminished into what it is today (basically a hit or miss).

Greg

In reference to the quality of the JJ tubes.......I had the guide of a 6l6 break off in my amp while trying to install the tube. I have changed tubes countless times and never had a tube break on me. Eurotubes emailed me back and said the tube would function without the guide. That's great and all but the fact that the thing snapped off in my amp ( which caused a fair amount of cussing and frustration trying to remove the black plastic from my amp ) just rubbed me wrong.

I keep reading about how Mesa tubes are junk and blah blah blah. It's called G.A.S ( gear acquisition Syndrome ) and it will drive us all crazy at times. I am done tube experimenting. My Dual rec sounds like a dual rec no matter what I put in it. I ordered some matched pair el 34's from Mesa and I am going to run with those for now.

I am glad to see so many posts about people trying out this hideous BAD MONKEY pedal and liking it thru their Mesa's. I had never even heard of this pedal a week ago......

stompboxfreak72 said:
I had never even heard of this pedal a week ago......

You and me both brother! :)

It sucks when a lot of hype drives the sale of products. I was amazed at the difference JJ tubes made in an amp with completely worn out tubes but the difference between new JJ's and other new tubes is not as drastic as I once believed. I will stick with other tubes from other vendors from now on. As I sell various extra gear I am finally dwindling my supply of JJ tubes to about 10 preamp tubes and 6 EL84 power tubes which is nice when I want to try something different in an amp because I have something right here to use. I jumped onto the E34L bandwagon a few years ago and bought quite a few quads for a bunch of amps. I never really liked those tubes but I never really had anything to compare as I was afraid to try other tubes and possibly hate them. I was afraid that the JJ's would win out and it would be like the night and day comparison with really worn out tubes vs new JJ tubes. Now that my income has stabilized I am in a position to where it's ok to experiment so I will go with some different tubes in the near future.

Good luck on your tone quest! I suggest giving Doug a call to discuss some options with him. He seems like a good guy and has pleased many people on this board.

Greg

hey stompboxfreak72 it was a bit ironic you had mentioned that a tube guide had broken off in the socket on your amp. I had a very similar problem recently in a peavey valveking 212. Although the tube was a 6l6 ruby tube and not jj's the guide on one of them broke off while pulling it out ( probably my fault ) and it easily just fell out. I was scared to try and use it not knowing for sure if problems would arise because I could actually see the glass where it broke off. After a while of deciding to try it or not I did and it actually worked just fine for about 2 weeks or so.. '
I must admit though,,I had to toss the tube because I kept feeling like I was pushing my luck with it.

hmm, if the stoe gets any bad monkeys in by saturday im gunan give it a whirl! the thigns i ehar abotu em here make it soudn liek the perfect candidate for my quest for a tighter sound outta my recto

Hey sasquatch.....Im telling you try it out. I redid my pedalboard yesterday and realized how much this pedal has screwed with me. I currently have 4 overdrive pedals on my board. Is this ridiculous ? Of course ! I just cant bring myself to remove my beloved modified tubescreamers and other boutique pedals for this **** $40 ugly pedal ! I guess it's like the denial phase of dying. I know my other pedals have to come off....I just have not accepted it yet.

I have 2 shows this coming weekend and I plan on just using the Bad Monkey and Keeley Ds-1. I keep waiting for the new to wear off but the truth is that my faithful Tubescreamer seems dry to me know. I should have been a tuba player......less **** choices to mess me up !

I'm interested to know what settings you guys have on the bad monkey. I've got one, but didn't think too much of it when I put it in front of my triple rec, but I might give it another go as I still have it...

Anyone have any experience with the Xotic BB preamp with a DR or SR ? I have been itching to buy one of these. Any Timmons uses this pedal and the video on youtube is tonelicious but he is using Lonestar with a Stilletto.

If anyone has any soundbytes or opinions on the BB please share.

I just got a xotic bb preamp last week and its very nice. I own the bad monkey,,,Ibanez ts808 and the bb preamp now. Of the 3 I believe the bb is deffinatly the best. Then the 808 2nd. The monkey is nice,,dont get me wrong, and for just $40 its incredible. I will be keeping the monkey due to spending close to nothing for it. The 808 will have to go soon though. I dont collect them for fun. Anyways the bb is a very smooth sound. Has way more gain than the 808. It sounds really nice even on a totally clean amp. I mainly use it more overdriving my leads. Sounds real nice giving it a fuller sound and more sustain. It also has 2 tone knobs so you dont get that mid hump if you dont want it. Try it out,,I think you would be happy you did.

cool.....I was afraid someone would say how good the BB was......which means I gotta order one now. Thank God for ebay....I have 4 or 5 pedals to dump this week!

Wingee said:
I'm interested to know what settings you guys have on the bad monkey. I've got one, but didn't think too much of it when I put it in front of my triple rec, but I might give it another go as I still have it...

+1.

I think someone posted some settings in another thread.
I'll see if I can find it....

Here it is!---->http://www.grailtone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10759

Just got a BB preamp today. My god... That combined with a Maxon OD9 is nothing short of orgasmic bliss.. It's great, it even smooths out that rather annoying lawnmower effect I get when the gain is turned up past 11.

oh...and i just ordered the BB from pedal plus effects...........**** im going to be broke if i keeo buying overdrive pedals!

stompboxfreak72 said:
do you run it before or after the Maxon ? I have the Analogman modified Od9........

Been experimenting with that, but I haven't really decided how I'm going to do it yet. But I'm thinking I'll run it after the OD9 just to thin it out a bit. My amp has more than enough beef to begin with.

Either way, both ways sound good as long as I've got them set after my RAT.

OK...I got my Xotic BB Preamp pedal in this morning.

I have been using channel 2 of my DR in vintage mode. This pedal completely rocks my Mesa! My wife ( who despises my loud music making and cannot tell an Overdrive pedal from a 6l6 tube) even made a comment about how good my rig sounded.

This in conjunction with a MXR EVH 90 is freakin' amazing.

I'll break this baby in tomorrow at a gig.

Used the Xotic BB Preamp pedal last night for a gig. I play modern covers a la Tool, Disturbed, Incubus etc in a cover band. The Xotic BB thru my Dual rectifier is simply the best. Hands down, all overdrive pedal issues answered.

I'll be dumping my tubescreamers without a doubt. I had several local guitar players ask me what I was using for my dirty channel because they thought it sounded so good.

Bad monkey is a great value pedal and I've always liked my Tubescreamers and MXR Zakk Wylde pedals but Xotic BB is without a doubt the tone for me.

I rarely use pedals with my Recto but if I do I'm a sucker for the old Ibanez pedals. I have tried out TS-9, ST-9, SM-9, SD-9, TS-10, MS-10, MT-10, DS-10, FC-10 and they all does a great job depending on what your are after.

But my all time favorite must be the Boss OD-1. I have both the version 1 with the 14 pin RC3403D which use to be refered to as the "holy grail" and a version 4 or 5 wich has the 8 pin JRC4558D, which I actually think works better with the Recto. But with a plexi Marshall I think the RC3403 version is a better choice.

:D

Back