Overdrive pedal suggestion for Dual and single Recs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stompboxfreak72

Reaction score
First off, I think I own just about every overdrive pedal known to man. However, it has taken me years to finally stack overdrive pedals and turn my Dual Rec and Single rec into shred machines. I have used various tubescreamers, the Zakk Wylde OD, Keeley Ds-1, Analogman DS-1, Analogman Sd-1.....etc,etc. None of these pedals alone could give me the sound I wanted.

I finallly bought a Maxon OD-9 modoified by Analogman. This pedal smokes other tuberscreamers. It is true bypass and just really pushes your amp with the drive turned off and the volume full throttle. Really tightens everything up. However, it still did not do it for me. After much homework, trial and error I decided on an Analogman modded DOD JYM308. Mind you I am no JYM clone and really don't listen to him at all despite his amazing abilities. A Stock DOD pedal is a squealing mess. Honestly, even after being modded the pedal is still a squealing mess ! But when I hit the Maxon OD-9 and then hit the DOD JYM308 after it.......all I can say is welcome to Leadtone,Usa .

I am still experimenting with other combinations but this is my current favorite. It will be another year before I can get an Analogman King of Tone Pedal but I can't wait for that.

I am curious as to what overdrives and or overdrive combos everyone else is experimenting with out there in tone land. Regards- Doug

Hi there,

I am a big fan of the Maxon OD9, I use it on lots of amps. I also use an Ibanez Tube King a lot. It's got quite a bit more gain than the OD9 and a different sound. I also have a Mesa V1 Bottle Rocket which is very useful, especially with another OD in front of it. Believe it or not the V1 can be very transparent and will let the guitar come through if you want it to. Finally, I have a Radial Switchbone which has a built-in clean boost. Very, very handy and sounds exactly liike the amp it is pushing.

I like them all and I am currently quite satisfied with my small collection of ODs and boosters. I tried an OCD awhile back. I might pick one up sometime in the future because I find myself thinking about it from time to time.

M

i run a ts9 tubescreamer in my ROV but to be honest i tend to like the good ol BAD MONKEY !!! makes my boogie scream

SCAULDER0549 said:
i run a ts9 tubescreamer in my ROV but to be honest i tend to like the good ol BAD MONKEY !!! makes my boogie scream

Amen! My bad monkey kicks major *** in front of my Boogie. I don't care that it only cost $40; I'm not a snob. I believe that if digitech charged $295 for the bad monkey, there'd be a line around the corner.

The Bad Monkey.........all the reviews I find on this pedal seem to be from kids running an epiphone thru a behringer amp . I have no issues with it being a cheap pedal...that;s great. I just avoid accolades on harmony central when the reviewer owns a Sears guitar into a Gorilla amp....

But if Boogie users like this then I am intrigued. Anyone have sound samples ? Of course for $35 I should just try it myself..........

Can I repeat myself? I bought into a Rectifier so I would'nt have to employ any drive pedals! :?

I guess it depends on the music you are into. For playing instrumental music an overdrive is a must for me. For rhythm work I don't need as much poop on the sound but for leads it's a must. I also never turn my delay pedal off which might seem odd to most people but I don't like a real dry sound.

jbird said:
Can I repeat myself? I bought into a Rectifier so I would'nt have to employ any drive pedals! :?

jbird, I felt the same way...but...but...but...
I run a maxon OD820 in front and barely ever have it turned off...

description from maxon site:
http://www.maxonfx.com/vintage/od820/

comparison of Klon Centaur (considered by many to be the "ultimate" OD) vs Maxon od820: http://www.maxonfx.com/news/lt_od820klon_2004.php

It's all true!

Ok....I picked up the" Bad Monkey" ( I cannot wait to put gaffer tape over that trademark! ) and was beyond skeptical for $39.99. I was embarrassed to even ask for it at GC.

All I can say is holy smokes this stupidly named cheapie digitech pedal is awesome ! No mid hump like a tubescreamer and has bass control that has a real sweet spot around 11 o'clock.

I will give this pedal its inaugural run this weekend but so far I can't put my axe down.

Now......where the hell is that gaffer tape.........

stompboxfreak72 said:
Ok....I picked up the" Bad Monkey" ( I cannot wait to put gaffer tape over that trademark! ) and was beyond skeptical for $39.99. I was embarrassed to even ask for it at GC.

All I can say is holy smokes this stupidly named cheapie digitech pedal is awesome ! No mid hump like a tubescreamer and has bass control that has a real sweet spot around 11 o'clock.

I will give this pedal its inaugural run this weekend but so far I can't put my axe down.

Now......where the hell is that gaffer tape.........

honestly, im crazy skeptical of this pedal also. thats why i got a boggie in the first place. but id be willing to give this pedal a shot.

I own tons of boutique overdrive pedals and I really did not want this Bad Monkey to sound good. I figured I would just toss it out my car window if it sucked. For $40 try it. Is disposable ! I'd be suprised if you dislike it. I've been playing for 23 years and I am really bummed that something called the " Bad Monkey " has found its way onto my pedalboard .....

ive had countless amps over the years including differant boogies(recto;s,mkiv,dc's,studio pre,,soldano's,marshalls,etc...the boogie dc5 being my fav.i had the dc when i bought the monkey. i had a analogman 808 clone as well and liked the monkey over it.ill tell ya,another good sounding cheap pedal that kicked my stiletto in the *** was a cheap *** behringer vintage tube overdrive pedal. for $25 it sounded good.i have found my taste differs from day to day..one day te monkey sounds better or the next my ts9 will...its a brain freeze i think on my part. i used to be a tube purist as well,thinking ...im gonna get an amp that i wont need a pedal for..but seem to love boosted amps.the pedal dont change the tone of the amp just makes it tighter,more articulate,with just a hint more gain. i just like countless others have always looked for that..never ending search for the perfect tone that we all know we'll never find cause our taste changes,but ive found my boogies always seem to sound better with the monkey on their backs.

I've used several different kinds of pedals. (TS9, TS808, SD-1, OD808). Honestly the TS808 or OD808 sound the best. The output circuit of those pedals is actually designed to do this very thing. The TS9 has a different output circuit which is actually just 2 resistors. But, try a modified 808. I can honestly say I will never go back to a stock tube screamer. A modified SD-1 sounds realy good also. I'm currently running a Fulldrive 2 at the moment and I love it, and YES IT IS MODIFIED!!! :wink:

I use a Boss ME-5 that I bought new back in '91. I set my ROV up for a really good clean tone and use the ME-5 for everything else.

I put my old metal zone up front tonight just for kicks :shock: Insane gain to the membrain :twisted:

I tried the Bad Monkey at a show last night and definetly saw some pros and cons . It did not interact well with all the pedals on my board and I swore my volume would drop at times . I used it for 2 sets and then used my Keeley DS-1 for the third set.

In the end it turned out that one of my two monitors had a blown speaker so I cannot say that the Bad Monkey was responsible for some of my strange tonal anomalies. I also recently retubed my Boogie with JJ tubes which I am finding to be really sterile. I am going to reinstall my Mesa Tubes today and try the Bad Monkey again next week. Overall I am very pleased with the pedal and it competes well with my Maxon Od-9 and all my Analogman pedals that I am fond of.

I tried the JJ's too but I didn't care for them either. I'm going to stick with Mesa tubes until I get bias pots installed in my ROV. There was a huge difference in tone using the Messa tubes.

The JJ's have completely killed the tone of Channel 3 on my Dual Rec . The channel is flat and has very little distortion now. I bought the dual rectifier tube kit from Bob at Eurotubes. He has great customer service but I don't care for the tubes at all. If I could get El34's to last more than a few gigs in my Rec I would stick with those.

I own a rectoverb 2 combo and I have finally ended up with an Ibanez tubescreamer 808. I tried the bad monkey and the boss blues driver and both sounded nice but seemed to create way too much noise for me. I am trying to keep my rig simple with as few pedals as possble so not wanting to purchase a noise suppressor I returned both of those. I then purchased an Ibanez ts9 and liked that but it didnt seem to give me enough level output,, hardly any added boost at all. After contemplating spending the money on the purchase of the ts808 I broke down and bought it and Im very glad I did. a lot more output level and more gain. The pedal simply sounds great because it enhances your sound greatly without changing the actual tone. it boosts the mids a bit which is good because it helps your sound break through. Ive tried it with my ROV,, and a peavey valveking 212 and worked great.. It did not seem to do much of anything to a peavey classic 50 at all maybe due to its el84's?

I also noticed you guys talking about tubes. I bought a quad of jj's 6l6's and 3 ecc83s from eurotubes a month or so back. I tried them all in my ROV and they seem to sound pretty good although I cant say they have changed the sound too much...The 6l6's to me sound a bit more clear or pronounced than the stock boogies and I found the sound I like in the preamp with a jj ecc83s in v2 and v3 and a tung-sol 12ax7 in v1.. Im thinking about ordering some el34's soon...

Latest posts

Back