• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Okay any fellow Boogie enthusiasts with a Quad for sale?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby Marshall

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Been considering a Quad and would like one equipped with MIDI (that still works of course) but not super crucial given feedback below from Ned.

Please send me a PM if you have one.

I love my Studio Preamps but miss the options I had with my Mark IV head that I sold here on the Boogie Board last fall.

Keep rockin',

Bobby

The Quads ARE MIDI capable, however it is very rare to find one. You are better off getting a MIDI controller like a RJM RG-16. You can plug all the patch cables to the jacks in the back and have the RG-16 just trigger all the patches. They even make a cable for the Quad so you can use it with the RG-16. Gonna be alot easier to find a regular Quad... and cheaper.

dmt said:
The Quads ARE MIDI capable, however it is very rare to find one. You are better off getting a MIDI controller like a RJM RG-16. You can plug all the patch cables to the jacks in the back and have the RG-16 just trigger all the patches. They even make a cable for the Quad so you can use it with the RG-16. Gonna be alot easier to find a regular Quad... and cheaper.

I need my rig to fit either in 8 or 12 spaces and do not want to dedicate a space just for a controller. Some Quads also have the Abacus link. I have an Abacus and a MidiMatrix. Unfortunately, I can't run the MidiMatrix and Quad together with one Abacus unless the Quad has MIDI. I also have a Rockman MIDI Octopus which could switch a Quad but like I said, I am looking to have a gig rig that is compact but still has quality tube amplifiers.

Guess I will just stick with my Studio Pre.

dmt said:
The Quads ARE MIDI capable, however it is very rare to find one.

The MIDI Quads also lose one of the reverb pans to make room for the MIDI electronics.

To me, the dual-pan Quad reverb is about the best spring verb I've heard. I wouldn't want to trade that.

AdmiralB said:
dmt said:
The Quads ARE MIDI capable, however it is very rare to find one.

The MIDI Quads also lose one of the reverb pans to make room for the MIDI electronics.

To me, the dual-pan Quad reverb is about the best spring verb I've heard. I wouldn't want to trade that.

If I did find a MIDI Quad I could add the 2nd tank, right? I can't believe there is not any room in there for a 2nd tank but I don't know everything.

Also, can I add one to my Studio Pre?

If the answer to any of these is yes it would be really cool if you could please post or PM the Accutronics part numbers!

I like to think I am pretty good at ferreting out things for sale on the net.

If I get a Quad I really would prefer to buy from a fellow Boogie Board member. I have almost all of my Boogie purchases over the last year on this forum and would like to continue doing so.

Some other avenues have not always had the best results.

Thanks again for reading and for the input from AdmiralB and Ned.

Bobby Marshall said:
If I did find a MIDI Quad I could add the 2nd tank, right? I can't believe there is not any room in there for a 2nd tank but I don't know everything.

No to both, at least not easily.

The Quad has a long tank and a short tank. The short tank is the one that goes away and is replaced by the PCB for the MIDI. There's simply not room for both, same for the Studio; the only way I can think of to do it would be to mount the second pan externally.

Also, IIRC, the MIDI on the Quad is really basic. Some of these suggestion you've got regarding outboard devices really make a lot more sense, IMO.

AdmiralB said:
Bobby Marshall said:

No to both, at least not easily.

The Quad has a long tank and a short tank. The short tank is the one that goes away and is replaced by the PCB for the MIDI. There's simply not room for both, same for the Studio; the only way I can think of to do it would be to mount the second pan externally.

Also, IIRC, the MIDI on the Quad is really basic. Some of these suggestion you've got regarding outboard devices really make a lot more sense, IMO.

Well, then you have a pretty good point. While we are on the subject, does the reverb tank enter the signal path before or after the effects loop?

And if I wanted to say send one signal without reverb to an effects unit (for the wet side) and another signal with reverb directly to one side of a stereo power amp (dry side) can it be done by using the effects send to the effects unit and one of the main or recording outs to the power amp?

Reverb comes before the loop, so reverb is either on or off on both 'sides' of the loop send.

AdmiralB said:
Reverb comes before the loop, so reverb is either on or off on both 'sides' of the loop send.

Well then I guess I am in the middle on whether the 2nd reverb tank matters as it may not get used in certain rigs.

Case and point, I have been running dry as far as post preamp effects but have been considering adding some. Wouldn't reverb before chorus, delay, etc. have a less pleasing sound than if the reverb was after?

Latest posts

Back