The Boogie dilemma (Quad or Nomad)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pardelius

Reaction score
Hello fellow Boogie-boarders, greetings from Finland.

Just sold one of my guitars and now it's amp-purchasing time. :D
I have to choose between a Nomad 45 112 and a Quad Pre.
I know these are totally different beasts(combo and pre-amp and whatnot)...I was originally on the hunt for a nice amp to have at home, I think the Nomad would be fitting for this.
On the other hand I already own a Studio pre which hands down LOVE. It just has that gorgeous singing, thick, old Mark-ish lead sound, so it sure would be nice to get another member of that family with a little more versatility.

Someone please ease my pain caused by this ravishing problem.

To for a Quad, rack gear rocks! :p

Seriously, you can mix rack gear together, you can even rack it with your Studio pre and use them in the power amp.

I already have 2 preamps in my rack, the Studio and a Formula (switching is done with a RJM RG-16)... on the other hand just thinking about the sonic possibilities with the addition of a Quad calls for a change of underpants :D

But then again it would be nice to have a compact package at home...

The Quad is just awesome ! I own one for a few years, and just discover those days that it rocks, and beat easily my Triaxis in terms of pure tone !
Pair it with an old 50/50 or 295.

hölökyn kölökyn !

Terve!

+1 to the Quad. Personally, when I tried a Nomad long ago (I think it was the 100w combo) the feeling I have it was... "meh" feeling, but it was like that to my ears, maybe you can feel that it rocks!

In the other hand, maybe you want to try something different, becouse the Quad and Studio both have similar sounds; in that case, probably I´ll choose the nomad.

By the way, you will buy it in Finland or around the world? If you will buying it in Finland, can you tell me in wich web or something you can buy guitar stuff? I mean, second-hand.

Just scored another Studio Pre for 300€ (about 380$)...having two Studio's is kinda' like one Quad :wink: just more awesome because it's two different units :D

The website btw is www.muusikoiden.net

Well, there are a bit differences, Quad's channel 1 will be a Mark IIc+ and channel 2 a MarkIII. On this forum, I read the studio will be an "earlier MarkIII" but personally, I don´t think there will be a huge difference having a Quad or two studios ;)

And thanks for the link! Kiitos paljon :p

The big advantage to having two units is that you don't have to rely on compromise "settings" for the shared volume/gain input and treble settings between rhythm and lead. You can set one unit up for your best clean cleans and the other up for your best high gain tones by driving the volume and treble settings higher. I am doing the same thing but with two Quads running through a Mesa amp switcher into a Mesa simul 295 stereo into a Mesa recto 4x12 controlled by voodoo labs ground control and a couple of voodoo loop switchers to do the channel and EQ switching via the rear switching jacks on the quads and a TC G-Major Fx and Rocktron Hush ultra. I also run a dual rectifier rackmount that feeds an additonal cabinet when I get the urge for recto, it's controlled by the same floor board, essentially it's just another preset. You can do some crazy stuff with the old rack gear.

My thoughts exactly...I think I'm going to do a setup like this:
Formula-clean
Studio1-Crunch/rhythm
Studio2-lead/hi-gain

Latest posts

Back