% of tone - hands vs. rig.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting conversation. I'll 'mathmatically' break this down because numbers never lie....

Hands = adjust amp's tone
Hands = guitar playing style (pick attack, etc. changes guitar's tone)
Hands = adjust effect's tone

Breaking this down: Hands = Tone --> 1

From above equations we also derive:
Equipment = Tone --> 2

From 1 and 2 above:
Hands + Equipment = Tone

Hence, thus and therefore:
Hands alone does not = Tone.
Equipment alone does not = Tone

Suffice to say that there is a direct relationship between the two. As for percentages, it's beyond the scope of this player.

Conclusion: There is no conclusion*.

*walks away to adjust the amp's tone with hands.....

Case in point? Set up the most amazing tone you can come up with and record it. Sounds great!

I am glad I asked this question. For all of you who think all tone is in your hands and you will sound good using any amp and guitar, ha-ha funny. The whole reason for a forum like this is to discuss Mesa Boogie amps and how to get the best tone from them. If you sound just as good playing Slayer with a twin/strat set up - YOU'RE THE MAN!!!!! I've raise the bar in my community of musicians since I became a Boogie man and although music isn't a sport, we all compare ourselves to each other as far as who has it and who doesn't. Honestly fellow guitarist, our fingers are the biggest part of tone, that is why I'm thinking I'm about 70% hands/ 30% rig, followed by amp then guitar then speaker(s), tubes, cords, etc. on down the line. To say you could walk into GC, grab any guitar/amp combo and recreate your sound immediately, how much time did it take you to choose all the things for years that make you rule, maybe you don't rule or don't even care to impress anyone but yourself, but I doubt anyone can really say they would sound their phenomenal self with just any rig. Or how about, "Get up on stage and play a song with us, you can use my guitar, just don't mess with the settings." My 100% today will seem like 90% next year because I am committed to improving my tone and technique, that is why I posted this question, and I got what I asked for.

BTW - twin/stomp box/ strat = slayer, I get it because I did it, but 100% Slayer, I never had a complaint, but not 100% of the tone I now own, but it worked. I played in a Metallica cover band in the nineties called "The Four Horsemen", when "Hetfield" left we never got a second fiddle, just 1 time in +/- 100 shows did a person say, "you need a second guitar player." We were very powerful with my Marshall/metaltronics/Jacksons. The crowds went nuts and that was all that mattered anyway. I'm so dumb I thought Boogie=$antana back then.

Back