Musicman BFR JP6 or Custom Carvin

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turumbar82

Reaction score
yeah I already know what answer I'm probably going to get but these are my two choices for my next guitar.

I have never played on a BFR but I have played on a regular JP6 and liked it a lot. I like dimarzio pickups a lot. I like having the piezo. I really like the neck shape.

Carvin catches my attention because they are nice looking guitars and don't cost too much. I would probably change out the pickups to dimarzios.

So what do you guys say? Is the BFR worth spending that extra for? I'm leaning towards yes but my cheap side is questioning it! lol

Have you ever found a BFR to play? I have never seen one. I have a regular piezo/JP6 and it is excellent. The new Carvins 'seem' like they should be a dream... Never even seen one of those. They have such great marketing. I can read their stuff for a while and feel like getting out the Visa card and placing an order...... You get 30 days to see if you like it.... so what is there to risk? :shock: :shock: GAS in full swing....

Good luck. Please post if you get to put hands on either of these two guitars. I may do the music store drive-by circuit tomorrow. Need picks or something... :wink:

Go with the Carvin and spend the 1000 bucks you'd save on a used Boogie!!!!

Actually I think the necks on the MM's are just too small. I had to sell mine because of it.

TimeSignature said:
Go with the Carvin and spend the 1000 bucks you'd save on a used Boogie!!!!

Actually I think the necks on the MM's are just too small. I had to sell mine because of it.

I like your thinking. I would like to add a Triaxis to my rack.

Heritage Softail, I haven't played a BFR just the regular one. Doubt I will find one in any stores around me. I have played one Carvin that was at a pawnstore and liked the way it felt a lot. The neck was great.

I could always get a used standard JP6 for probably around the same price as a tricked out Carvin. I was playing around on the Carvin site today and "made" a guitar with all the specs that I wanted and it was around $1,900

TimeSignature said:
barryathome said:
Carvin, but replace the pickups.......

The pickups are a little weak and thin sounding, I agree. I have a CT6M.

I love the way the CT6M's look. They are very beautiful but they don't have the option of having the piezo installed which is a bit of a downer.

No best guitar out there. Have you looked at a Heritage from the original Kalamazoo guitar works that made the early Les Paul's? They are used in that price range. I have heard nothing but good about them.

The JP6 has a unique neck shape. Have to play it and see if you like it. It is a love it or not type thing. I love it!!! The Piezo is an issue. It's like having an acoustic at your disposal, to me. It opens a few doors sound wise. It, when blended with the neck pup works a great blues tone in my MKV. Best guitar I have ever played, next best speed metal guitar neck is my old 90s Ibanez Radius Limited Edition. It does not do a creamy neck Les Paul thru the MK1 mode like, well, a LP.

Please post up on that Carvin if you get it. They are indeed hot lookers. I already have my eyes on some Bareknuckle pups anyway.....the pups are not an issue for me.

Good luck tone hunting!

I do know Heritage guitars very well. A good friend of mine is one of their endorsed artists and I've played lots of them. They are very nice.

If you know you like the MM, why not get a Regular Petrucci? That will be the perfect compromise, as it will give you the BFR feel you like, but cost a lot less.

There really is no right answer to this question. All comes down to what you like.

Eric

ibanez4life SZ! said:
If you know you like the MM, why not get a Regular Petrucci? That will be the perfect compromise, as it will give you the BFR feel you like, but cost a lot less.

There really is no right answer to this question. All comes down to what you like.

Eric

yeah definitely. I'm going to look around for used Musicmans in my area and try them out again.

IMO you can't even compare a Carvin to a JP6 or furthermore a BFR.. I have seen and played a few Carvins, nice guitars but not even in the same league..

I have a 2010 EBMM BFR JP6 and it is absolutely the best guitar I have ever played! It would be worth it to spend a little time with one if possible before you make a decision. The Dimarzio Crunchlab/Liquifire pups sound great and the feel of the guitar when played is smooth and quick. The piezo pickup has an amazing sound and you can mix it with the magnetics to get some beautiful tones. Friends of mine who have played my guitar have always commented on the tone quality and how easy it was to play.

I had seriously considered a Carvin before I bought this guitar, but it seemed like there were a lot of mixed reviews. I also couldn't go for the mail order thing. I have to play it before I buy it. Still, I hear that Carvin has a solid return policy if you don't like what you get. Either way, try a BFR out...the regular JP6 is still a great guitar but it is not the same.

I haven't gotten anything yet. I had some cash saved up but then my girlfriend was driving my car and ran into a curb and destroyed my front left tire, rim, and axle. So my guitar savings had to go to fix that. I'll have enough money again by September so I will be making my choice then.

Latest posts

Back