2023 Epiphone Alex Lifeson Les Paul Custom Axcess Review

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charvel1975

Reaction score
Hello 👋 I just got done jamming a couple hours through the new Epiphone Alex Lifeson Les Paul Custom Axcess Guitar tonight and it's great!! 😃🎸🎶

Only ran through my Line 6 Toneport UX1 USB recording interface and Line 6 POD Farm amp sim software so far as it was late and trying to keep the volume low but I also jammed to some cover songs as well. Just had recent setup done on it with a string guage I've never tried before; D'Addario EXL120+ Nickel Super Light Electric Guitar Strings: Gauges 9.5-11.5-16-24-34-44 tuned to standard E tuning. My other Epiphone Les Paul Custom is setup with D'Addario. 010-.046 guage strings in standard E tuning as is my 1998 Gibson Les Paul Special P-100 and I must say these strings are quite a contrast in bends and soloing! Much easier bends and the Epiphone Alex Lifeson Les Paul Custom has the sustain even with the tremolo!

This guitar is simply stunning. The Alex Lifeson has just an ever so slightly chunkier neck and the neck feels wider than my other Les Paul's - but man these guitars are just a cut above! It differs from the standard Alex Lifeson Les Paul as well in that it doesn't have the piezo in the Floyd, but it has a quality of sound and tone that is just richer sounding. Both pickups have coil splitting on both volume pots and there is a phase switch on the bridge position tone pot and the wide range of sounds is incredible!

Before the setup out of the case it had Gibson strings .010-.046 from the factory - tuned it up - the string height was high. The binding detail too is so nice. Get this guitar - you'll love it!

2023 Epiphone Alex Lifeson Les Paul Custom Axcess Ruby

Body Material - Mahogany
Top - AAAA Quilt Maple Veneer
Binding - Mult-ply Top & Headstock, Single-ply Fretboard
1000 Series (Original-style) – Floyd Rose
Pickups - Bridge Epiphone Probucker 3
Neck Epiphone Ceramic Pro
Controls - 2 Push/Pull Volume (coil-split), 1 Push/Pull Neck Tone (Up Position Phase), 1 Standard Bridge Tone
Tuning Machines - Grover Rotomatic
Hardshell Case

https://www.epiphone.com/en-US/Electric-Guitar/Alex-Lifeson-Les-Paul-Custom-Axcess/Ruby

I was interested in this axe but only if it came in a different color. Black and gold would have been nice. I recently bought two Epiphone Les Paul Customs, one black and gold and the other Koa. I am impressed with them. Not bad for an affordable guitar. I would say build quality and workmanship is far above a Squire (Fender). For me, at that asking price, I would jump on another Charvel as if I need any more of them. Saving up for a USA custom as I would not mind having another vault guitar (one you keep in its case). I have a few but not Charvel. I do get them out once in a while. The Charvel guitars I do have are replaceable, so if they get damaged or stolen, not difficult to replace. I have many other guitars that are not replaceable and they remain in their case most of the time.

Back