Multi effects or pedals with the mark V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

professoro

Reaction score
As some of you may have seen I recently bought a pod hd500 for my mark V in the hope that it would meet my expectations. Well, it did but not without it's downfalls.
Ive tried several routing options but they all seem to colour the sound of the mark V too much.

I'm only wanting basic effects so what would you guys recommend as an alternative? TC electronics? Single pedals?

I get some amazing sounds from a fulltone Clyde Wah standard outfront and an Eventide Timefactor in the loop.

I've ben looking into the tc electronics stuff. Seems very good for effects.
All I need is a boost, chorus/flange, delay and noise gate.

I use a Digitech RP100 in the loop and use about 4 dif. delay settings. I like the sound of this pedal because it 's pretty transparant. Has EQ and volume controls. Whatever you decide to use in the loop make sure it has at least these contols. I have tried pedals without them and they stink with the V. I use my stomps in the front. The V likes stomps in front...But the amp is so differant than the Fender Deville I was using I really had to learn how to use them all over again with the V...I am going to upgrade to a TC nova system For the loop, when I can afford one.

professoro said:
As some of you may have seen I recently bought a pod hd500 for my mark V in the hope that it would meet my expectations. Well, it did but not without it's downfalls.
Ive tried several routing options but they all seem to colour the sound of the mark V too much.

I'm only wanting basic effects so what would you guys recommend as an alternative? TC electronics? Single pedals?

Have you tried level matching all your fx's individually?
That and watch the FX send volume knob on the back. It varies with different pickups/guitars and different fx processors.
Mine works best at 10'o clock (EMG actives and Boss GT10)

the pods can usually be set to bypass the amp, cab, room, etc simulations, have you tried
the pod's effects that way?

i used an older pod a long time ago and that's how i use to run it if i didn't want to
color the amp.

i ditched it a while back for "real" effect pedals because i found the interface really
hard to tweak live.

I use a TC Nova System and love it. It has its limitations, but the effects are superb. I think it's approaching its EOL (end of life, or end of the line, depending on which flavor you prefer) because I hear there are massive discounts on it.

For basic effects, the TC G Major hands down, the V loves this unit in the FX loop, highly recommended.
you can get a used for $250-300 or the new Gmajor 2 for $499

I vote for the G-Major 2. Can't be beat for the price and superb quality of the effects. I own the g major v2 and have eventide modfactor plus timefactor, am now playing around with a Axe Fx. In the end if all you are after are good effects the G Major is a great choice. To me the eventides sound fantastic but are not easy to tweak, the Axe Fx can't be beat but at its price if you are not going to use the amp sims the G major is a wiser choice.

I know I already recommended the Nova System, but it's nice to know I'm not alone anymore! The G Major 2 is a great unit as well, but the Nova is much easier to setup. The G Major 2 has some effects that the Nova doesn't, though. To be honest, if I had the money, I'd have a G System using the 4-cable method.

If you know what the 4-cable method (4CM) is, then please stop reading. :) If you don't, it's an awesome way to wire multi effects units so that effects such as filters and drives are in front of the amp, and time-based effects are in the loop - best of both worlds.

The G System is a marvelous piece of gear, but it is not plug-and-play. Laird Williams is a super helpful guy over on the TC board who wrote a whitepaper on how to setup the G System. His whitepaper is very thorough and written in understandable English. And no, I don't own the G System (yet); I just love this stuff and read up on everything!

It may sound strange and I have ZERO experience on that but I will try my Axe-FX in the effects loop of the Mark V

Should work as it worked with the Hotrod DLX as well

Roland

WTH...
Axe FX with a Mark V?!?!

Thats like modding a super car to get even more juice out of it!
I can imagine the time based effects are going to sound blissful with your Mark V!

Upload some sound!!

i don't see as to why you can't have both worlds. i use a rack unit through the loop & a few out in front & love it. the rack unit has 8 boss effects (roland gp-8) but i don't use all of them, mainly for delays & chorusing. tuner through the tuner out (tc electronics tuner), morley wah, evh flanger powered by voodoo lab power plus 2 because of the isolated power to each pedal. VERY QUIET. hope this helped. IMO when i was younger, i had a ton of effects running but now i'd rather hear myself play through a great amp instead of playing through a great amp hidden by layers of effects. transparancy if key, as long as we can hear your fingers & not your effects(LOL). just my 2 cents worth. good luck

ifailedshapes said:
The G System is a marvelous piece of gear, but it is not plug-and-play. Laird Williams is a super helpful guy over on the TC board who wrote a whitepaper on how to setup the G System. His whitepaper is very thorough and written in understandable English. And no, I don't own the G System (yet); I just love this stuff and read up on everything!

The G System isn't that different to set up from any other processor that is 4CM-capable. I had mine up and running in about 15 minutes, but I have been running rack processors for twenty+ years, so I'm pretty familiar with setting them up.

Right now I'm running the Mark V head (obviously!), with the G System, a Nova Drive, and an Eventide ModFactor. The Modfactor is in the first loop, so it handles all of the modulation duties before the Nova Drive and amplifier.

Has anyone figured out a way to have a single foot controller handle both amp channel switching and effects units? I'm thinking something along the lines of a CAE rig but not for the thousands of dollars it costs. Looks like maybe this could possibly be done with some the voodoo lab units, or the G major, but am trying to see if anyone's actually doing it. My rig is currently dirt (and soon a compressor) out front; delay, mod, trem (line 6 M9), and volume pedal in the loop, and of course the giant Mark V footswitch. Would LOVE to streamline all this into a single if possible.

Latest posts

Back