Mesa Tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumptone

Reaction score
Got some mesa 12ax7s. They have this rubber cover over them with the mesa label and tube designation. What is this, and should it be left on?

Thanks.

I don't think the cover should be left on. It is prob just for protection until they are installed. That rubber would most likely melt if left on...

That is a tube damper and should be left on.It is to keep the microphonics "dampened",it wont melt.They are likely the Mesa SPAX7's.

Thanks guys. I thought that's what they were, but was concerned about them melting. The two I have don't have the sp designation, that's why I was wondering. I thought I had read something about the sp's having the dampers, but had never seen any. Again - thanks.

They are the more expensive Meas 12AX7's. You can use them in different positions (V1 - V5) to alter the tone. Not as much as using different manufacturers, but there can be a slight difference. I think I use them in V1 and V2.

Latest posts

Back