Str 441 6L6 tung sol

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Lamury

Reaction score
I pulled these out of my Mark V to put in the str 448 EL34's I got on eBay. The say tung sol made in Russia on the base and are labeled Mesa str 441 6L6GC. What are your guys opinions on these tubes? Good? Bad? Let me know...

My opinion on those: They sounded the best in the Mark V90. They were lame in the JP2C. Sounded ok in the Badlander. The newer version of the STR448 are no longer the EL34 tubes. The current tube for that STR# is the TAD red base 6L6GC. Those sounded great in the JP2C and Badlander but muddy in the Mark V90.

Curious how you find the STR448 EL34 tubes in the Mark V90. I would call them NOS as those tubes are no longer in production. I would assume the equivalent to be the new STR# : STR446 which is the EL34 TAD red base. Those sound great, tried them in the TC100 and the Badladner.

If they ever come out with a new tube and call it the STR415, it better live up to that standard of the original Sylvania.

No
My opinion on those: They sounded the best in the Mark V90. They were lame in the JP2C. Sounded ok in the Badlander. The newer version of the STR448 are no longer the EL34 tubes. The current tube for that STR# is the TAD red base 6L6GC. Those sounded great in the JP2C and Badlander but muddy in the Mark V90.

Curious how you find the STR448 EL34 tubes in the Mark V90. I would call them NOS as those tubes are no longer in production. I would assume the equivalent to be the new STR# : STR446 which is the EL34 TAD red base. Those sound great, tried them in the TC100 and the Badladner.

If they ever come out with a new tube and call it the STR415, it better live up to that standard of the original Sylvania.
I said I took the str 441 6L6GC out of the Mark V 90 that came stock, and put in the str448 nos EL34's that I got on eBay in the Mark V 90.

Yes you did say that. You asked opinions on the STR441 tubes, good or bad?

So how do you like the NOS STR448? It was stated in another thread that they are like 20-25 years old. Finding some good NOS tubes at an affordable price is always a good thing. Especially if it has the Mesa Blessing printed on it.

No

I said I took the str 441 6L6GC out of the Mark V 90 and put in the str448 nos EL34's
Yes you did say that. You asked opinions on the STR441 tubes, good or bad?

So how do you like the NOS STR448? It was stated in another thread that they are like 20-25 years old. Finding some good NOS tubes at an affordable price is always a good thing. Especially if it has the Mesa Blessing printed on it.
My bad I misunderstood your post, when you were asking "how I find the str448 in the Mark V 90" I thought you were asking if I found those tubes in it stock instead of taking it as "how do they sound."

The str 448 EL34's sound good in the Mark V 90, nice mids , more friendly treble than the 6L6 and solid bass - less overwhelming than the stock 6L6. I think they're going to stay in there for a while..

Back