Mesa Roadster and New or old EVm12L Classic speakers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried my buddy's Roadster into my EVM cabs. Cleans sound really good. Everything else needs a LOT of redialing, and you'll never really get the Recto chunk rhythm sound if that's what you're after. (I think) Rectos are kind of designed as a unit where the amp, cabs, and speakers are all working together (especially for bass frequencies) and the V30s work into that.

The EVMs were meant for a more hi-fi kind of approach where it's pretty much all in the amp, and they just make the amp loud.

I do this a lot when I want my Roadster to sound more like my Mark's. The low end is definitely tighter and works well with muted riffs a lot better. But, CoG is right about the re-dialing. It's not necessarily a bad thing, you just need to tweak some settings. The Roadster does sound best to my ears through a Recto cab with V30's. Now running a Mark IV through a mixed cab of EV's and V30's will get you a brutally perfect sound. The old Boogie catalogs used to refer to it as "Sparkling clean plus crunch mean". ;-)

So you can't get brutal crunch from these speakers? or does it take redialing them differently then V30's again I'm looking to get a Death metal distortion, and Jazz clean (Real Jazz not fusion) The cabinet that, I will have them in is a Mills acoustics cabinet.

No, they're definitely not brutal crunch speakers, or at least they won't give you any help. You can't make them break up; they are intended to be very hi-fi and basically just reproduce exactly what's coming out of the power tubes with no coloration at all. You're much better off with V30s for that. V30s help tighten up the Recto bottom end and define the highs, especially at higher volume.

Overall the EVMs are quite "cold" or "clinical" sounding speakers for those who don't appreciate what they are for. I think they are probably the opposite of what you want, if you want warmer traditional jazz tones on your cleans and more grind in your heavy stuff.

Would you think one Black Shadow V30, and one EVM12L would work in 2x12? I have heard some really great clean stuff on the EVM12L not sure about the distortion.

i just tried out an old music man cab with those speakers in it. more 70's sound, sounded good mixed with the v30 in my 2x12 recto. Only thing i didn't like was the fizzy upper highs

Back