Mesa Boogie 5 Band Graphic EQ

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dreamtheaterrules said:
Authorized Boogie said:
This is THE 5-band EQ used in all of our classic amp designs, and will work exceedingly well in the loop of any of our other amps! Thanks!

What about amps without loops like my TA15? Will this work well in front?

Although the prime location is in the fx loop, the pedal will also work well in front of the amp. Thanks!

So when will these be in stores? I have a Mini Rec and a TA 15 so it will be in the loop on the Mini and in front on the TA.

I NEED one! :D

Authorized Boogie said:
Although the prime location is in the fx loop, the pedal will also work well in front of the amp.

That's probably right - but it's worth mentioning that an EQ pedal will behave a little differently in front of an amp.

In the loop, an EQ pedal will allow you to you equalize the sound after the preamp. You can cut/boost frequencies, even (depending on the pedal) add or cut volume.

Placed before the amp, the effect will be slightly different. Since it is before the preamp now, adding or reducing volume with the pedal will actually increase or decrease the preamp distortion (unless you are using a very clean tone). Likewise, boosting/cutting specific frequencies will affect how hard those frequencies hit the preamp, which in turn will have an audible effect on the distortion character of the amp. You can make it sound tighter or looser, depending on which frequencies you cut or boost.

For example, if you boost the low frequencies before the amp, you get mud. OTOH, if you boost them in the loop, you get more "thump".

Yeah, I get that. And that will be part of the fun in experimenting with it in front of the TA15. I Just haven't seen enough specs to know what levels it runs at, etc. And I'm sure no matter what it does most of the time, I'll experiment with it in front of the TA.

If I only had the TA15, I'd probably get a Flux Five instead. Might as well get the OD pedal as well if you are going to use it only in front. But since I have the Mini, I'll probably bite the bullet (this is pricey for a 5 band EQ) and get this.

My problem is, I'll have a great "loop pedalboard" setup and will want to just switch of from amp to amp and that would require me upgrading to a TA30. :lol: :lol:

Looks like these may be hitting some stores. Saw some listed on ebay yesterday with no note about a delay in shipping. If they aren't there, they must be really close.

Just Delivered. Great build quality of course. Can't wait to try it in the loop of my DSL.

I might even give it a go in the loop of the Roadster.

Here's some oblatory pics:

ADC25F72-B4F6-436F-A338-06F2640AF0D0_zpsbqsfechh.jpg

454976F3-A9DB-4E65-BD75-6E5720FDBEB7_zpslkr7quib.jpg

It's #41, and the label even has my name on it LOL.

A038AE8D-0D93-4BC5-97C6-55A1ADD3C464_zpstuxaglyx.jpg

Dom

Howdy all! First time poster here. Love the idea of this 5 band eq, I've run an MXR 10 band in the loop of every amp I've ever owned but the Boogie eq appears to have frequencies that no other eq's have. Has anyone A/B'ed the two yet? Very interested in the outcome of this and what it might do to my Mini Recto that the MXR 10 band wont. Cheers lads.

im very interested in one of these but Im curious on how one would use it with 2ch and 3ch amps?

If I set it up for my ch2 to tighten up the low end / tweak mids, etc... what about when I move to my clean channel?

do I need to add something like loop master channel/loop switcher.

No, you just need to buy an amp that has a channel assignable loop. :lol:

Addictedtokaos said:
im very interested in one of these but Im curious on how one would use it with 2ch and 3ch amps?

If I set it up for my ch2 to tighten up the low end / tweak mids, etc... what about when I move to my clean channel?

do I need to add something like loop master channel/loop switcher.

Howdy, I run an MXR 10 band in the loop of my mighty Mini Recto, obviously it effects both channels and the cleans are super sweet and chimey, and the dirt is super tight and brutal, just eq each channel to suit.

I picked one up to use with my Rectoverb 25 head, it sounds awesome. I don't usually go with the V-curve so much, after all, mids are your friend! I like what it adds to the clean channel, makes it a little closer to my Mark V's. Little pricey and should come with a 9V supply for that cost, but it sounds great and is built to last.

Tried one today at work. I liked it a lot on the cleans but not so much on the gain channel of a new rectoverb head
ill try it with my rig at home though in a few days. Built VERY well!

Hi guys,

I'm reactivating this thread because I can't decide between this EQ and the MXR 10 band EQ. I try the MXR and liked it (except for the sliders), but I can't try the Mesa 5 band EQ. Could anyone share some experience with this two EQ pedals and how they compare?

Thanks!
Franzisko

Latest posts

Back