Marks really are the way to go. (Rant and Ramble)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exbest182

Reaction score
Not to dog Recto's at all.. I used to play Rectifiers for a long time... I was introduced to the Mark series about a year ago, I was debating on selling my Triple Rec. at the time, and was asking for suggestions, we play the same style of music, and his guitars always sound super rad... so I asked him for his opinion... he said, my main is a Mark IIC+... not sure exactly what that was at the time, I trusted his opinion and without even playing a Mark series head, I went out and got a Mark V... mostly looking for the C+ sound, the C+ market at the time was rather slim and expensive... so I came to these forums and bought my Mark V, and loved it! then I started with the GAS... My next purchase was a few months later, was a 60w Mark III red stripe.. again, going for a IIC+ sound... that purchase didn't go out as well as I had hoped... the amp ended up pretty busted, volume cutting out, bad tubes, bad LDRs, on top of need routine maintenance... Luckily, I posted about it here, and a few days later, I found someone else here on these forums that was interested in my red stripe, and I sold it, just about as quick as I bought it... kind of regretting that one... then a couple weeks after that, the best thing ever happened to me.. I found a IIC+.. it's a converted B -> C+, that has seen it's travels over the last year (it was actually posted here, sold from here to someone in Cali, who sold it to someone else, who then sold it to me) it wasn't the most sought after convert...It has a MkIII Xport Power Tranny (561100) and a MkIII Simul OT (562003)... however, Mike B. advised the the 100 tranny as pretty much identical to the 101 tranny... but it sounds great.. even though it took selling my Mark V to fund it, it was well worth it.... So a few months has passed since I got the IIC+, and I started looking for something else, so in a twist of fate, I picked up a Roadster in a trade for an old macbook I wasn't using... was a straight trade, and it was a total mint Roadster combo.. and I was excited about it, until I played it.. I couldn't dial it in for the life of me, it was too muddy, and flabby.. as recto's tend to be.. I did a side by side with my Mark IIC+ and was like.. well, this was a bust... and again, luckily.. I found a member of this board who had the same problem I did... owned a Mark V, was into Rectos, and just wasn't digging the V... so we talked, and arranged a straight trade... I was so excited to grab another Mark V (phenomenal amp imo) that I picked up shipping both ways... paid for the Mark V shipping and the Roadster (Roadster was $140 to ship after packing supplies... no bueno) ..it arrives Friday and I couldn't be happier..

It was after playing the Roadster, I decided that I wasn't ever going to get off the Mark series.. I'm an addict... I'm going to look into picking up another Mark III next month ..I was actually considering going for the whole collection, getting a Mark 1 thru V, but the Mark V covers the 1 and IV pretty well imo... good enough that I can't justify spending the money to buy a I and IV.. but the III however, I def. want to pick up.. I've been digging the purple stripes a lot lately.. though even my busted red stripe.. I could hear in my head what it should sound like... one of these days I'll get a factory C+ to round it out... but I really dig my C+... so next month, it's picking up a Mark III and some more cabs.. I'm down to 1 cab after selling my old Marshall cab... considering a Road King cab, or maybe a couple of 2x12s... or maybe a Stilleto cab.. I don't know, I'm just super excited about finally being happy with my tone and overall sound... I'm going to be recording with my band in the next couple of months, and it's going to be all Marks.. more than likely a blended combo of the IIC+ and the V... but I was considering tracking one guitar with my IIC+ and Mark V in Mark IV mode, and the other guitar with the Mark III and the Mark V in IIC+ mode... I'm just rambling at this point, but I'm excited.

Lastly, everybody on these board is great, and I've learned so much about these amps, and their traits, where I used to be just a plug and play guy.. I actually have picked up so much off this board, to shape my shape and it's awesome.. you guys are great!

Ok, i'm done ranting..

Take care all!

exbest,

It's cool to see someone else excited over these amps.
As you mentioned, I, myself, also use to play a Single Rec for a long time ( just over 10 years ). I just couldn't ever get the amp to where I wanted it. I found a semi-sweet spot of the amp, but it was just at a very loud volume. And being a lead player, it just wasn't very fitting. I played the Marks for a long time ( 87'-88-ish); starting off on a buddies IIC+. It's a sound I never forgot, but somehow went through the process of many amps before I ever came around to owning one (Mark III).

exbest182 said:
but the III however, I def. want to pick up.. I've been digging the purple stripes a lot lately.. though even my busted red stripe.. I could hear in my head what it should sound like...

Both are amazing. After changing some preamp and power tubes, I've been playing my purple a ton lately...just about as much as my red. Such sweet singing amps. I'm in a discussion with someone to possibly pick up my 3rd. You're correct - we're addicts. :twisted:

Mike B. once told me he thought the export trans were best suited for the C+. You can read about Boogiebabies' experience with my IIA -> C+ upgrade DRGX here: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=40325.

Aside from collector's value, upgrades are no "worse" than a factory C+. I've read here where some board members preferred their upgrades to their factrory model. Each of these amps is a unique animal, and even the "worst" of them is an amazing beast.

Amen brother... Look for an old school mesa halfback cab with the metal grille... EV 12L's on the bottom and MC-90 or MS-12's on top. Or a EV 12L thiele and an open back compact 1x12. But for mark series, check out the halfback

scott

Here ya go...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mesa-Boogie-4x12-Cabinet-Half-Back-280watt-MC90-EVM12L-/140593862548?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20bc0c1794

scott

I'm LOVING the lead channel of my recently acquired IV! It has this complexity and growl to the gain structure that is really unique and amazing. 8)
For instance, when I hit a power chord and add the big 5th underneath with my guitar's volume rolled down, then slowly roll it back up, it's like the amp has this singing organ-like quality that rings out behind the gain. And every string rings through crystal clear! Legendary lead channel IMO!

I'm still getting acquainted with the clean and crunch. I actually preferred the clean and lower gain sounds on my recto, although the fact that it was modified played into that.

Overall, I'm very happy with this amp! Wish I could buy my recto back now...have the best of both worlds.

Side note: Why the F**K does Mesa not use the series Mark loop on the Rectos??? The recto loop is terrible and is the amp's biggest weakness! I've heard that the "reborns" have a better series loop, but when I called Boogie they told me it was still parallel...

Hi,

Now that my MKIIA is working correctly (see the Boogie MKII Rev Eq 60 100 topic), I would be tempted to buy my last amp (I said that I would stop at the 10th amp...) as a Boogie. Which one may be the question, because the only Boogies I had in hands before my MKIIA were not mine, and were there for servicing (routine maintenance or repairing issues) : none of them really convinced me, and some of them were really poor sounding -that almost explain why I stayed away from the brand for so many years.

One exception : a maple MKII (probably B) I serviced circa 20 years ago - this one was noisy and hummy like hell, but sounded really good, exactly like my MKIIA when it came to me.

While I find the MKVI and certainly the MKV to much complicated, and the studio and caliber series of average quality construction, probably I would look for a MKIII full options export version, even in head configuration, and modify it to return to the MKIIC+, while de-humming and de-hissing it...

Well...

A+!

I like the III the best so far. I had a IV and while it is a really cool amp, I feel the III is better suited to my tastes. I'd say a III might make you very happy.

marks are indeed sweet. I will always own one! that being said, can't wait to add an old marshall or something along those lines into my rig.

Latest posts

Back