Mark's and EV's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Fore

Reaction score
Hi guys... I wanted to see what the more experienced Mark users thought of doing this or if they have done it. When I bought my first Mark III and IV in the late 80's I always used the 2x12 vertical cabs with the EV/Celestion mix. It sounded holy. After Mesa stopped offering that as an option and went with V30's for everything I never went back.

I bought a 1x15 Mesa cab with an EV a couple years ago and use it with my Recto 4x12. The sound is something I now cannot live without. Since EV has reissued the 12L in the form of the Zakk Wylde speaker I was thinking of throwing a couple of those on the bottom of my Recto Trad cab.

Has anyone done this and, if so, how does it sound?

I might do that with a Recto 2x12 Vertical. I sold the one I had because the V30's were too treble-y and harsh. With the Mark V head on its way (I hope soon) I'm thinking this might be the way to go.

That EV is not the same speaker as the EVM 12L Mesa used to OEM from EV. The new ones are 300 watters vs 200...vented vs not......and they sound a bit differrent to my ears. YMMV

I have a small, ported 1x12 cabinet built by Hermida Audio, which sports a new EVM12L. Got it around Christmas time late 2007. I used it with the Mark V combo this week. It added to the overall bass response and breadth, but didn't seem to add much else. I've used this cabinet with my Mark IV & IIc which both have old EVM12L speakers. The new one, in this cabinet anyway, does NOT sound like the older ones. The older ones seem to have more focus and bite. It could be that they are in small open-back combo cabinets which is creating the sound difference.

But, there is a noticeable auditory difference between the original EVM12L speakers and the newer ones, to my ear.

The supplied C90 speaker actually sounds pretty darned good in the Mark Five cabinet. I'm not missing my EVM12Ls with it.

MeZa 8)

mesadude said:
I have a small, ported 1x12 cabinet built by Hermida Audio, which sports a new EVM12L. Got it around Christmas time late 2007. I used it with the Mark V combo this week. It added to the overall bass response and breadth, but didn't seem to add much else. I've used this cabinet with my Mark IV & IIc which both have old EVM12L speakers. The new one, in this cabinet anyway, does NOT sound like the older ones. The older ones seem to have more focus and bite. It could be that they are in small open-back combo cabinets which is creating the sound difference.

But, there is a noticeable auditory difference between the original EVM12L speakers and the newer ones, to my ear.

The supplied C90 speaker actually sounds pretty darned good in the Mark Five cabinet. I'm not missing my EVM12Ls with it.

MeZa 8)

No you are exactly right....the new ones sound nothing like the originals (sounds like a cliche'...but true).

In fact, I had a brand new EVM 12L stored for about 5 years from the last batch Mesa used to sell (with the Black Frames)....and that speaker itself did not sound anywhere the same as the original grey frame EVM 12L that came in the combos. I ended up selling that speaker to someone in Australia.

To my ears, the newer ones (including the one I sold), sound much darker..and as you stated
lacked the clarity and bite of the original.

The Zakk model is just a plain old different speaker altogether....I would not go into it expecting the same old EVM 12L sound.

I have had a new EVM 12L-classic reconed under the factory warranty. They use the same cone and a slightly different voice coil. I'm not talking about the Zakk speaker. (I will never give my money to him. That's another story though.)

Of course a brand new speaker is going to sound different than your 10 (20?) year old original EV.

phyrexia said:
I have had a new EVM 12L-classic reconed under the factory warranty. They use the same cone and a slightly different voice coil. I'm not talking about the Zakk speaker. (I will never give my money to him. That's another story though.)

Of course a brand new speaker is going to sound different than your 10 (20?) year old original EV.

18 and 25 year old speakers in my case. I don't recall the speakers really sounding any different when the amps were new than they do today. Can't say that the aging process has changed their sound.

MeZa 8)

Thanks guys... that is very helpful advice.

My other option is to remove the EV's from my unused Mark IV combo shell and my Mark III still-in-use combo and use those, but they are 8 ohms each and using one in a 2x12 or two in a 4x12, the ohm's prohibit me from doing that.

What are the ohms of the V30's used in Recto 4x12 and 2x12 cabs? I know the 1x12's are 8 ohms.

Mark Fore said:
Thanks guys... that is very helpful advice.

My other option is to remove the EV's from my unused Mark IV combo shell and my Mark III still-in-use combo and use those, but they are 8 ohms each and using one in a 2x12 or two in a 4x12, the ohm's prohibit me from doing that.

What are the ohms of the V30's used in Recto 4x12 and 2x12 cabs? I know the 1x12's are 8 ohms.

In the 2x12 it may be a problem if you're looking for net Ohm of 8, in the 4x12 it's what you want.

Hey JAZZGEAR, thanks for the reply! So to recap, let me confirm...

The result I want is: Recto 4x12 with two EV's and two V30's wired the way it is now at a total of 8 ohms.

What I have to work with: two 8 ohm EVM-12L's and two V30's from the recto cab.

My question: are the existing V30's in the Recto cab 8 ohm's each?

Thanks again for your replies. You made my day if this works!

Confirmed. This older thread confirms that there are four 8 ohm speakers in Mesa's 4x12 cabs: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32435&hilit=+ohms+4x12

Thanks guys!

EV has two current offerings that i know of: the Zak 300-watters & the Classic 200w models. i've compared the Classic to the 12L & found them to be very similar. i much prefer either one over a C90.

Latest posts

Back