"Mark Vb" wishlist

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LesPaul70

Reaction score
The Mark V is a great amp. I don't see myself ever parting with it...unless Mesa came up with something even better, of course. So, just for laughs, I thought about it: what could they have done differently? Was there anything they could add to a "Mark Vb" that would make me want to upgrade immediately? Well, I could think of something. Here's my wishlist. Probably not realistic (at least some parts of it), but I'm posting it anyway. Who knows, the Mesa R&D could be reading this... :D

- Progressive Linkage. This is the one single feature that I miss the most in my Mark V! There are times I want EL34, there are times I want 6L6. And there are times I want both! If they added this, my current Mark V would head for eBay immediately!

- I miss the Deep switch for the Mark IIc+ mode. It would be much more useful to me than the current Bright switch - I always leave it in the "Normal" position anyway. Not vital, since this can be emulated (to a degree) with an EQ pedal, but I don't want any more pedals in my live board than I currently have. The Visual Sound compressor/OD and the delay pedal are enough.

- The clean sounds. Don't get me wrong. I think these are some of the best cleans I've ever heard in a Mark series amplifier. But I've also played a Lone Star Classic, and unless my memories deceive me, that lovely deep, chimy tone was in a class of its own. I would happily sacrifice one of the current clean modes for the LSC clean tone. Keep the Mark I clean mode but replace the other clean mode with this.

- (BLASPHEMY WARNING) :twisted: Well yes, it would be nice to also have the Rectifier distortion on tap. At the moment, I'm considering buying a Dual Recto head to fill that gap - needless to say, that solution (having an extra head to lug around) is not very convenient! It would be much better if I could set one of my MkV channels to a Recto mode, with either the option of a Vintage mode or a Modern mode (i.e., two separate modes) or just a voicing switch to choose between Vintage/Modern.

But wait, how do you fit them all in the wide-chassis body? Didn't Randall Smith say that a fourth channel was not viable because there was room for no more than 3 channels and the GEQ in the front panel? Well, basically the ideal solution would be to have four modes per channel to choose from instead of three, and a four-way switch. That would allow three more modes.

Assuming that we replaced one of the current clean modes with the LSC mode or needed only one Rectifier mode (with the Vintage/Modern voicing option), what to do with the third new mode?

...a Mark III lead channel mode, of course! The missing link.

Or, a "Deep" mode for Mark IIc+ (i.e., Mark IIc+ with the Deep switch on), assuming that a "Deep" switch can't be added.

What would your wishlist for Mark Vb look like?

Sort of related to your 4 modes wish: at the moment probably the only change I'd like to see would be to have the Mark I mode on Channel 3.

I like Mark I, but never use it because I like to have a clean, a mid-level crunch, and a lead sound. I know you can run Mark I mode on low gain, but at the gain levels I use, Edge or Crunch sound much better, whereas Mark I sounds best at gain more akin to lead levels.

I would want the ability to switch between the modes in each channel via the footswitch. I'm sure I can think of other things, but this would be the first change I would want to see.

DrummerChas said:
I would want the ability to switch between the modes in each channel via the footswitch. I'm sure I can think of other things, but this would be the first change I would want to see.

Yeah, but can you imagine footswitching between edge and mark I modes in channel 2 without messing with the EQ? The result would probably sound pretty bad since the EQs have to be set so differently. Channel 3 might work ok at the same EQ settings but not great.

Digital values for the GEQ so that they can be stored as presets, get rid of the external switching jacks and make it MIDI switchable like they should have done from the start, make the modes within the 3 channels MIDI switchable as well along with the bright, thick, etc. Then just rename it "Triaxis II w/poweramp". :wink:

Gunnski said:
DrummerChas said:

Yeah, but can you imagine footswitching between edge and mark I modes in channel 2 without messing with the EQ? The result would probably sound pretty bad since the EQs have to be set so differently. Channel 3 might work ok at the same EQ settings but not great.

I rarely change my EQ settings now and seldom use Mark I mode. I use the preset for Ch 1 and with EL34's I love the tones I'm getting in Ch 2 and 3 without changing the EQ (currently using a somewhat classic V shape). Borrowing from what the next poster said, changing to digital eq's and allowing for presets is a great idea. Not sure how much more cost it would add though.

I always thought the "blend" function in Egnater amps was kinda cool. 6L6s or EL34s or both! However, that would radically change the architecture of the amp...but as long as we're dreaming.....

My needs are simple: I would like the reverb to be equally strong (or able to get as strong as fat and clean modes) on all channels and modes. I don't always use it, but it would be nice to have it available.

I'd love a 4-channel version with a recto voicing, if possible. And deep switches on channel 3. Other than that, I'm good to go.

eudaimonia02912 said:
I'd love a 4-channel version with a recto voicing,

That is funny, as the Recto voicing is the one thing that would prevent me from buying ANY Mark series Boogie. That was a topic of discussion when I called Boogie during the fall season of 2008. :wink:

Honestly, I think Mesa nailed it on this one for me!

However, seeing this is a "wish list" thread.....

1. I would like to see "graphic EQ" available independently to each channel....I find the preset EQ know to only work decently with clean sounds in channel 1.

2. I would like to see mode 3 of channel 2 to be more in line with the excellent crunch mode (mode 2 of channel 2) with a bit more sting and sustain while the channel EQ settings stay close to the same. This way, I could easily manually switch between "crunch mode" and a hypothetical higher gain/sustain "crunch mode" without having to do drastic preamp and post EQ modifications in channel 2.

Honestly, I am not a big fan of the Mk1 Mode of channel 2.....especially since it requires extremely different channel preamp EQ settings compared to the other Ch2 modes AND some extreme settings of the graphic EQ to achieve the great sound that it is capable of. When setting channel 2 to Mk1 mode, I essentially have to "rob" channel 3 of a more "normal graphic EQ setting" which isn't worth it to me when playing live. I always set my graphic EQ for my optimum channel 3 lead tones. Refer to my request #1.

Other than that, I think the V is golden, and is my number 1 amplifier!

Personally, I absolutely love the Mark V as it is. But hey, as long as we are dreaming, I would like to see any of the following:

1. A 4 channel version -- keep all 3 channels as they are now, but add another "Ch 3" so that I can have one channel on Mark IV and one on Extreme (sort of like the Rectifier's Vintage and Modern channels).
2. Eliminate the Crunch and edge sounds on CH2, and keep the Mark I sound (a hidden treasure, IMHO), but add the Mark III also
3. Keep Ch 1, eliminate Ch2 altogether, and have 2 channels of Ch 3 -- again, one for Mrk IV and one for Extreme.

Also....

a. Eliminate the slider EQ -- I never use it (I know, probably skating on thin ice on that one).
b. Do not incorporate any Rectifier sounds (and I used to be a diehard TR and Roadster user).

Just my 2 cents.

I wish it had channel cloning like from the tremoverb; I'd like to be able to have two channel 3's OR two channel 2's depending the gig I was playing. That would make it perfect for me.

1) Re-voice the preset EQ. Personally, I find it pretty useless and I've read others mention this as well. I find it goes way too extreme on the "V" shape. It pulls the mids out way too fast while adding a scratchy top end no one would dial in on their own. If they would moderate the contour I think they'd be much more useful.

2) The FX loop knob should be updated or replaced with something that allows more flexibility. I wouldn't mind it if I could set it up so delay would come on with channels 1 and 3, but I can't do that with the current scheme.

3) MIDI switching without the need to buy add on components. It's 2010 already....

4) I would give up 10w mode to gain the old school Simul-Class EL34/6L6 mix.

Wow!!! I'm pretty greatful already that I get 9 modes of Mark Series bliss, yes it's hard to have to only choose 3 modes but still that's a pretty amazing achievement and pretty **** flexible. The only way I could see to access all 9 modes via footswtiching, would be to put some of sort of attenuators on the back of the amp kind of blending the technology of the electrodyne and the Mark V. Because as you will notice there is significant volume increase as you switch through the modes.

While it would be nice to be able to access any of the modes it wouldn't really be useable in a live situation if you can't manage the differences in volume.

I can't imagine what it would cost to create such a beast but are we dreaming or are we seriously making suggestions for a Mark Vb? Not trying to blow smoke up Mesa's A** but I shopped around a fair bit and looked at many different options trying to get the most flexibility for the money and tones that I can and will use in the real world. I plugged into a Mark V and had found my amp.

That said, I totally get that for some of you the Mark V is the best you could find so far but you still have something in your head that you are still striving for. BUT... At what cost, I think if the Mark V had all the features you are all yearning for and cost $5,000 it may be cost prohibitive for me... So I am going to say don't change anything, it might be different if I felt that I had actually spun every tone possible out of the amp and still couldn't find the tone I'm looking for but if that was the case I would probably be playing a different amp right now.

Justr my 2 cents on any possible revisions.

It is what it is..I have yet to find the limits of this amp...I like it the way it is...sounds like some of you guy's need two MK V's. Thats the only way you're gonna switch between fat and tweed...too much gain differance. thats why the channel voices are not footswitchable...

I think most of the posts are of the "if I could have anything I wanted" variety. I know mine was, because to implement it, would probably require a significant price increase.

Back