Mark V owner review of JP-2C (multi page post)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oops... you are right about that, I had to look up the one thread with the internal shot...... my bad... tells you how much I know about this amp. Too late to edit the picture now.... PT not OT.... OP sits behind the power tubes so you cannot see it. Duh.... :roll: Well then that is one hell of a power transformer.

:oops: I can be stupid sometimes.... :p Thanks to who ever opened it up and took the picture. Should have looked again before jumping to conclusions or assumptions. That is right, now I remember seeing the thread on the PT delay in production.... burst my bubble. :p

After some time spent with both my 412 cabinets, I decided to compare the Roadster to the JP-2C. Hmm, the Creamback G12H75 just do not cut it for some reason. Brought the old originals out and installed two, ran that for 30 minutes. V30 much more dominant than the G12H75, installed in an x pattern. Wired the V30 in parallel to same, as well as the G12H75, parallel/series was odd that the V30 would win. Rewired them in series/parallel but mixed the V30 and G12H75 in series, and in parallel with the other two. Same result. Pulled the two remaining Creambacks and shoved in the old V30. They sound better than they did the day I took them out. Compared the two cabinets with the Roadster, then the JP-2C, and ultimately both driven by the JP-2C. Sweet. The newer cab still has a slightly different tone to it. However, it should be broken in by now as it has been used quite well for at least a year.

the JP-2C in terms of how it would sound,,,,, a blend of the Roadster, CH4 modern, diode, 100W and the Mark V CH3 Extreme 90W. I can hear the Mark IV voice as well, with the exception that it is very tight and percussive. Palm muting sounds incredible though this thing. Bummer I made an idiot out of myself about confusion of OT and PT.

The Roadster is an excellent compliment to the JP-2C. Even though both amps are quite different in design they just sound great together. Considering I was after the Roadster when I bought the Mark V as I found it easier to dial in due to familiarity to my other Mark amps I had in the past. I did break down eventually and bought the Roadster and sure enough fell in love with that amp just as much as the RA100. Had the tables been turned and the JP-2C was available at the time I was looking for a new amp and compared it to the Mark V I would have definitely taken home the JP-2C.

I am not even sure if the Roadster is wired in pentode mode or triode, and the same would apply to the JP-2C (the way it sounds I would venture to guess the incorrect scheme, but I would say pentode but I know the answer is triode but does that really matter anyway?) To me it is a new amp, and it sounds awesome even if it does not sound like a IIC+ as others may claim or not claim. I would covet this amp as much as those that would rather have the original. I tried to get close to the JP-2C with my Mark V. Though the V30 loaded cab it was not possible. Mark V has more of a hard clip which seems to thin it out with more upper harmonics in the distortion that seems to enhance the tendency to go brittle. Not sure if this is related to the extended Class A push/pull or is it a factor of the cascaded preamp. However, I was able to get close to the JP-2C through the Creamback G12H75 loaded cabinet as the filtering of the speaker does reduce some of the upper frequencies with a slight shift in the midrange to a warmer tone vs upper mids. Tried all modes on CH3, IIC, IV and Extreme, pentode/triode, FXloop on with master volume and with it off. With the FXloop disabled, Extreme mode in pentode or triode seemed to be in the similar arena but yet no dice. Definitely quite a different animal. I believe the JP-2C has a softer clip similar to the Roadster. It can be bright if you want it and even brutal if you are abundant with the presence and treble. I guess I could get close to the Mark V tone if I pushed the treble and presence and perhaps engage the shred switch. Perhaps I missunderstood everything there is about the Mark V. Perhaps it was designed for those who primarily drop tune or have 7 or 8 string guitars. I highly doubt that my Mark V was the benchmark for the line, if it was I believe more people would be complaining about it than giving it loads of praise. I will admit I am one of those who was disappointed with the Mark V and not because of issues I may have encountered over the 4 years I have owned it. Had I not converted it to a combo it would have been long gone. Almost considered a JVM410C or something, I highly doubt that I would ever abandon Mesa boogie as the quality, workmanship and materials are far superior than other amp manufacturers. On that point alone I will be a repeat customer to Mesa. One of these days I will have to replace my bass gear with something better and Mesa seems to be of interest. JP-2C has won me over. I may not be one of the greatest guitar players, in fact I am not, but I do know what sounds good and what sounds like crap. As for the JP-2C, it sounds incredible. Thank you Mesa Boogie for changing your ways and change in strategy for offering a Signature Amp. So when it comes time to create a Mark VI, take a few hints from what you did with the JP-2C.

Your intuition is right, the JP2C is pentode. Comparing the V with the JP2C is interesting for me too. While it's easy to hear the differences, finding the similarities can be almost challenging at times. I find it easiest to hear everything I don't like about the V than what I love about the JP2C. Like the stiff, honky midrange and the sharp high end. With the JP2C they just took that midrange out, it's gone, not there. And the amp sounds more scooped, feels a bit less tight than the V. And that sound is just makes my ears happy. There's more bass in the JP2C, and that seems to make it smoother than the V. It's like the mark sound was evolving a bit too much maybe. You bring up a good point about the 7 and 8 string guitars. Maybe they influenced the sound of the V and mesa's view on the direction of the electric guitar tone in the future. I've come to belive, with my own experience, that mesa was trying too hard to capture the glory of the str-415 power tubes in the V. And I thought that's where the ugly migrange and brittleness was coming from. When I put those tubes in my JP2C, I got more midrange frequencies that reminded me of the V, but much more pleasant and natural. They tightened the bass and gave the high end a bit of a crisp sparkle.

I'm using a mesa 2x12 horizontal with their v30's. And when comparing the two amps I find it easiest to tell people the JP2C sounds like the V's mark iv mode with extreme at the same time. Or even mark 1 mode combined with c+ mode. But I find the c+ mode alone is closest to the JP2C. The timber, or underlying tone, is very, very similar with the c+ mode. You obviously don't get the bass, or the smoothness, but the timber in there is spot on. I find that running the bass on the c+ mode much higher than I've ever ran it gets me closer than the other modes in the V. And even though the JP2C is wired in pentode, I get closer with the V in triode. It just needs all the smoothness it can get. While certain modes in the V are better for certain attributes in the JP2C, overall, I think the c+ mode is closest. It's just fun and interesting to compare the two. Trying to find where that magic is that makes the JP2C so special. :mrgreen:

I guess my focus was to discover if the Mark V would be a good fit with the JP-2C in a recording or would the Mark V compete with the JP-2C. I will have to give that a try and find out. Roadster is a shoe in for sure. Similar tone to some respect but not competing. Before the JP-2C entered my life it has been the Roadster or RA100 as my go to amps. Perhaps my attention to the Mark V was to evaluate my position on that amp as I did with its predecessors Mark IV, and the Mark III. I doubt that I will sell it but would not surprise me if I did sell it. Since it is a combo, I can used it for lower volume playing that will not shake the house or its contents. This evening I tried to see how well I liked the JP-2C set at 100W with low volume settings. I am impressed but noticed the bass was a bit more apparent than when the volume is raised. Not bad though but a 412 is a bit more than I need most of the time. However, a lot of the time I am wanting that heart attack compression on my chest from high SPL that a 412 or two 412 is an absolute necessity. Note, running a full stack does not necessarily make it louder but it does fill the room quite well. I need some flexibility. Sort of like the two RA100 I have, the head thought the 412 is a beast but yet the combo is quite different and a bit more forgiving. I could get a horizontal cab but would prefer the vertical 2x12. I could always use speakers of the RA100 combo with the Roadster head since I have a short jumper cable for use with the attenuator.

I am sure once the amp catches on to many others, there will be many questions will this pedal work or that pedal work. I doubt there will be any issues with the FXloop as it is not line level like the Mark V is. That reminds me, I will have to pull out my old rack mount gear (assuming I still have it).

Mark V is going on its way out.... out the door for sale. :roll: I really tried to like this amp but just do not feel it is a good fit for me. The JP-2C delivers what I want and satisfies me on all accounts just as much as the RA100 or the Roadster. The Mark V just seems too sterile and it does not matter what power mode or power setting I use. It sounds better as a combo than it does though either of my two 412 cabinets. Through V30 it is shrill and lacking definition, through the CBH75 it is muddy (not due to bass either). I may retube the amp and see if that makes any difference. I think before I sell it I will get a bias probe set just for kicks to see where this amp is. I have a hunch that the diode rectifier on the bias circuit may be compromised as I found the bias voltage is not to print as it is just a diode drop from the 60V transformer voltage. It is close to correct value with variac power setting... Perhaps that is what it should be as the schematics are generally full of errors or incorrect statements. Hard to judge bias voltage without measurement of the current and plate voltage measurements. However the Mark V does sound really good though EV speakers in a 412 cab, I am just not willing to put those back into my old Recto 412 at the moment. If the Mark V sounded anything like the JP-2C when I got it, it would be hard to want to get rid of it and I probably would not have bought the JP. The JP has all the character the Mark III and Mark IV had but more detailed and composed. Mark III was a bit darker than I expected but could have been a result of the EVM12L black shadow. Mark IV was nasal sounding and could not be driven too hard as it would flub out (MC90 related). My old Recto 412 just did not sound all that great either with the original V30, so Mark III or Mark IV just did not satisfy me with the cab. I did have an opportunity to run the Mark IV thought the new 412 cab and I wished I had held onto the Mark V head shell as that would have been perfect as a head vs combo. I believe the days are numbered for the Mark V as I am not enjoying it as much as I thought I did, especially when the Roadster and RA100 took its place. Now that I have the JP-2C, do I really need to keep the Mark V. Roadster is a better complement in character and tone to the JP-2C as it seems to be similar in some respects for Heavy Metal use and everything else. Perhaps it is too soon to make a decision to keep or sell the V.

As for the gain, CH3 of the JP-2C will be come more compressed with higher gain settings but it does not loose its composure or turn murky. Mark V CH3 with high gain settings, muddy and sterile and depending on the volume it will run brittle and ice pick. To me that is not an enjoyable sound, and I am adjusting tone, presence and EQ to compensate. Perhaps new tube would make a difference, if not, I can use them with my other amps so no loss there.

bandit2013 said:
Mark V is going on its way out.... out the door for sale. :roll: I really tried to like this amp but just do not feel it is a good fit for me. The JP-2C delivers what I want and satisfies me on all accounts just as much as the RA100 or the Roadster. The Mark V just seems too sterile and it does not matter what power mode or power setting I use. It sounds better as a combo than it does though either of my two 412 cabinets. Through V30 it is shrill and lacking definition, through the CBH75 it is muddy (not due to bass either). I may retube the amp and see if that makes any difference. I think before I sell it I will get a bias probe set just for kicks to see where this amp is. I have a hunch that the diode rectifier on the bias circuit may be compromised as I found the bias voltage is not to print as it is just a diode drop from the 60V transformer voltage. It is close to correct value with variac power setting... Perhaps that is what it should be as the schematics are generally full of errors or incorrect statements. Hard to judge bias voltage without measurement of the current and plate voltage measurements. However the Mark V does sound really good though EV speakers in a 412 cab, I am just not willing to put those back into my old Recto 412 at the moment. If the Mark V sounded anything like the JP-2C when I got it, it would be hard to want to get rid of it and I probably would not have bought the JP. The JP has all the character the Mark III and Mark IV had but more detailed and composed. Mark III was a bit darker than I expected but could have been a result of the EVM12L black shadow. Mark IV was nasal sounding and could not be driven too hard as it would flub out (MC90 related). My old Recto 412 just did not sound all that great either with the original V30, so Mark III or Mark IV just did not satisfy me with the cab. I did have an opportunity to run the Mark IV thought the new 412 cab and I wished I had held onto the Mark V head shell as that would have been perfect as a head vs combo. I believe the days are numbered for the Mark V as I am not enjoying it as much as I thought I did, especially when the Roadster and RA100 took its place. Now that I have the JP-2C, do I really need to keep the Mark V. Roadster is a better complement in character and tone to the JP-2C as it seems to be similar in some respects for Heavy Metal use and everything else. Perhaps it is too soon to make a decision to keep or sell the V.

As for the gain, CH3 of the JP-2C will be come more compressed with higher gain settings but it does not loose its composure or turn murky. Mark V CH3 with high gain settings, muddy and sterile and depending on the volume it will run brittle and ice pick. To me that is not an enjoyable sound, and I am adjusting tone, presence and EQ to compensate. Perhaps new tube would make a difference, if not, I can use them with my other amps so no loss there.

From what you have said here, selling the V seems the more likely outcome

I had one for 5 years, which I kept because it had excellent low volume response in Tweed mode. I felt I couldn't let it go earlier, which was just me being sentimental about an amp I wanted desperately to bond with better, but didn't. But when I did sell, I knew I shouldn't have waited so long ... but hey! It was a good amp for many reasons

The JP2C interests me though - seems like it offers a more natural, organic response, and is less "sterile" than the V. As I don't do metal or high gain stuff these days, how good is the 2C at edge of break-up to mild crunch settings? Is the gain sweep nice and wide on CH2 / 3, or does it go from silent to metal quickly?

I have two JP2Cs and two Vs.
Love them all but prefer the JP because of tone and MIDI. JP has a looser, more fluid feel.

I don't think of selling any of the Vs.

The only one I consider selling is the TA-30 head. I did not get along with the TA. I think its tone is a little harsh.

Chester said:
bandit2013 said:

I had one for 5 years, which I kept because it had excellent low volume response in Tweed mode. I felt I couldn't let it go earlier, which was just me being sentimental about an amp I wanted desperately to bond with better, but didn't. But when I did sell, I knew I shouldn't have waited so long ... but hey! It was a good amp for many reasons

The JP2C interests me though - seems like it offers a more natural, organic response, and is less "sterile" than the V. As I don't do metal or high gain stuff these days, how good is the 2C at edge of break-up to mild crunch settings? Is the gain sweep nice and wide on CH2 / 3, or does it go from silent to metal quickly?

Gain on CH2 is similar to that of the MarK V CH3 using the extreme setting. CH3 is similar to the Mark V CH3 using Mark IV setting. Only difference, it is not sterile sounding. The amp does sound really good with low gain settings but seems to be a bit more for that tweed type gain. Perhaps I have not explored that yet. What is amazing with this amp, roll off on volume and you will get that tweed sound, even a nice clean with some dirt. The amp is very responsive far more than my other Mesa's I have. It begs to be played. I basically play mainly songs from Led Zep, Scorpions, Deep purple, or similar.. I have yet to push the gain on either CH2 or CH3 up. Never did on CH3 of the Mark V either (always left that about 11oclock or less, CH2 crunch is different and I would push the gain all the way). I would recommend to test drive the JP-2C first before buying as it may not suit everybody. Yes it does heavy grunge too just as much as the Roadster but still I use that amp for the same style of music I mentioned earlier. RA100 also fits the bill for classic rock as well. I would say the gain control has a good overall sweep before you really begin compression. CH3 will compress more than CH2 as CH2 seems to have more headroom. the pull switch on each gain pot will add some more drive level to the mix, Pull on the presence will also shift the midrange peak. Despite the various mode of use of the Mark V, there seems to be more content than voices with the JP-2C. the same would apply to the RA100 and or Roadster but that one is a beast if you want it to be and would compete with the JP in that regard. I would find it hard to explain in more detail. Best to find a local rep who has one and hear it for yourself. I bought mine blindfolded without ever hearing it in person, only on demo videos.

What really sold me on the amp was this German guy. He will really pick out some interesting tones and from what I can tell it is not overly published or polished in the mastering part of the recording. It really sounds like the videos! I do not understand German (I believe that is what it is) but you can get a good idea for most of it.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jp-2c+review&&view=detail&mid=B5EC063E3CD36E0CD777B5EC063E3CD36E0CD777&FORM=VRDGAR

Bruceta said:
I have two JP2Cs and two Vs.
Love them all but prefer the JP because of tone and MIDI. JP has a looser, more fluid feel.

I don't think of selling any of the Vs.

The only one I consider selling is the TA-30 head. I did not get along with the TA. I think its tone is a little harsh.

I may end up keeping it.... It is not a bad amp, need to figure out was is up with it at the moment... :roll:

Last update on the JP-2C. The Vertical 2x12 came today. I had a close to half an hour to play though it at lunch time. It sound just like the full sized OS Recto 412, and I am surprised how much air this small cabinet can push. Too bad my Roadster or RA100 would not fit on one of these. I think I like it better than the 412 cab. Perfect size, much easier to manage, only 30 lbs lighter than the OS Recto cab as it weighs in about 75lbs vs 104lbs.

20161005_131248_zpsv3yka7yt.jpg

Let me see, that would be 490W I presume..... how to hook them all up for polyphonic sound is the question.... Not, I would rather experience each on its own.... Had I not sold my Mark III and Mark IV combo, things would have been interesting but already difficult to find room as all will not fit in the studio with the other gear and drum set.... I am done for now, until the next Mark or something else pops up on the radar from Mesa. I could upgrade my bass gear, say a Strategy eight:88 with a PH1000 cab.....

20161005_200129_zpsbjt2t8mu.jpg

bandit2013 said:
Chester said:
bandit2013 said:

Gain on CH2 is similar to that of the MarK V CH3 using the extreme setting. CH3 is similar to the Mark V CH3 using Mark IV setting. Only difference, it is not sterile sounding. The amp does sound really good with low gain settings but seems to be a bit more for that tweed type gain. Perhaps I have not explored that yet. What is amazing with this amp, roll off on volume and you will get that tweed sound, even a nice clean with some dirt. The amp is very responsive far more than my other Mesa's I have. It begs to be played. I basically play mainly songs from Led Zep, Scorpions, Deep purple, or similar.. I have yet to push the gain on either CH2 or CH3 up. Never did on CH3 of the Mark V either (always left that about 11oclock or less, CH2 crunch is different and I would push the gain all the way). I would recommend to test drive the JP-2C first before buying as it may not suit everybody. Yes it does heavy grunge too just as much as the Roadster but still I use that amp for the same style of music I mentioned earlier. RA100 also fits the bill for classic rock as well. I would say the gain control has a good overall sweep before you really begin compression. CH3 will compress more than CH2 as CH2 seems to have more headroom. the pull switch on each gain pot will add some more drive level to the mix, Pull on the presence will also shift the midrange peak. Despite the various mode of use of the Mark V, there seems to be more content than voices with the JP-2C. the same would apply to the RA100 and or Roadster but that one is a beast if you want it to be and would compete with the JP in that regard. I would find it hard to explain in more detail. Best to find a local rep who has one and hear it for yourself. I bought mine blindfolded without ever hearing it in person, only on demo videos.

What really sold me on the amp was this German guy. He will really pick out some interesting tones and from what I can tell it is not overly published or polished in the mastering part of the recording. It really sounds like the videos! I do not understand German (I believe that is what it is) but you can get a good idea for most of it.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jp-2c+review&&view=detail&mid=B5EC063E3CD36E0CD777B5EC063E3CD36E0CD777&FORM=VRDGAR

Well, I tried to sweep the gain on CH2 and CH3 to see what type of onset of clip I could get.... Well, this would not be for you if you wanted clean dirty vintage style like a Rolling stone sound. The two lead channels have the minimum gain preset, so when all the way to lowest position, no sound, up a little it is dirty but more gain structure than what you would get with the Roadster or RA100 or even the Mark V. Perhaps it is more geared towards hard rock to heavy metal. However as a solo or lead amp with effects you could cover many other venues that require more edge that usual. I can dial in a Led Zep type sound for some songs but will be hard to get lower gain structure unless I use the clean channel with a overdrive or pedal that can produce the clipped tweed sound. For vintage tweed rock, nothing beats the Roadster CH1 tweed or the RA100 clean with the gain boosted. JP-2C does not seem to drop that low. However it does keep tight and composed and notes are well defined with chords and especially with single note or lead type riffs. As for the Mark V, I cannot set the gain high enough such that it would sound as good as the JP-2C. Perhaps I will keep the Mark V and see what I can do to get it back to where it should be. I do not have stock tubes in it at the moment but a tube roll will be in order to get it back to the way I had it, may need to go back the the SED =C= 6L6GC tubes or the Gold lion KT77 tubes (it has been a while since I used an EL34 variant in this amp). In other words, the Roadster, RA100 and dare I say it the Mark V has more gain variation than the JP-2C. I guess in my quest, this has been it all along and now I can get into territory I only dreamed of or used to have with the Mark III combo. I just can't get over how this amp sounds but perhaps you may want something different. Perhaps that is why I love the RA100 so much as it is more than it seams with a specific delivery of sound that has a mojo of its own accord. The JP is no exception as it has its own characteristic that is almost 3D, I can get there with the Roadster too. Actually both seem to share the same tone print with the Roadster having more emphasis on bass and low mids more than the JP. Now it is time to record something with the Dito pedal and loop it so I can play lead on the JP to see how it blends or contrasts with the other amps. That Vertical 2x12 is one sweet cabinet. Still exploring the JP-2C but may be coming to an end with the discovery I think. This may be one of those amps to try before you buy (may not always be that simple for most).

bandit2013 said:
Well, I tried to sweep the gain on CH2 and CH3 to see what type of onset of clip I could get.... Well, this would not be for you if you wanted clean dirty vintage style like a Rolling stone sound. The two lead channels have the minimum gain preset, so when all the way to lowest position, no sound, up a little it is dirty but more gain structure than what you would get with the Roadster or RA100 or even the Mark V. Perhaps it is more geared towards hard rock to heavy metal. However as a solo or lead amp with effects you could cover many other venues that require more edge that usual. I can dial in a Led Zep type sound for some songs but will be hard to get lower gain structure unless I use the clean channel with a overdrive or pedal that can produce the clipped tweed sound. For vintage tweed rock, nothing beats the Roadster CH1 tweed or the RA100 clean with the gain boosted. JP-2C does not seem to drop that low. However it does keep tight and composed and notes are well defined with chords and especially with single note or lead type riffs. As for the Mark V, I cannot set the gain high enough such that it would sound as good as the JP-2C. Perhaps I will keep the Mark V and see what I can do to get it back to where it should be. I do not have stock tubes in it at the moment but a tube roll will be in order to get it back to the way I had it, may need to go back the the SED =C= 6L6GC tubes or the Gold lion KT77 tubes (it has been a while since I used an EL34 variant in this amp). In other words, the Roadster, RA100 and dare I say it the Mark V has more gain variation than the JP-2C. I guess in my quest, this has been it all along and now I can get into territory I only dreamed of or used to have with the Mark III combo. I just can't get over how this amp sounds but perhaps you may want something different. Perhaps that is why I love the RA100 so much as it is more than it seams with a specific delivery of sound that has a mojo of its own accord. The JP is no exception as it has its own characteristic that is almost 3D, I can get there with the Roadster too. Actually both seem to share the same tone print with the Roadster having more emphasis on bass and low mids more than the JP. Now it is time to record something with the Dito pedal and loop it so I can play lead on the JP to see how it blends or contrasts with the other amps. That Vertical 2x12 is one sweet cabinet. Still exploring the JP-2C but may be coming to an end with the discovery I think. This may be one of those amps to try before you buy (may not always be that simple for most).

Thanks for the detailed posts Bandit - appreciate you trying to explore if the 2C would suit my needs. I'll hold off buying 'till I can try, but it doesn't sound like it would displace any of my current arsenal

I personally love this amp for what it is.. I was not expecting it to displace or replace any of my amps but it could easily do such... I do like the Mark V for its novelty (more than one amp sound in one package) but it seems less versatile than the Roadster once you get over the low end blues and figure the out how the tone controls effect your sound. I only wish my Mark V was on par with others who love the amp. Actually I found the Roadster to offer the most versatility for almost any style... RA100 is geared more towards a classic rock style in a British flavor. I may dabble with heavy metal, I prefer what is now classic rock and the JP-2C has not let me down yet. If you are more into Judas Priest, this amp would definitely meet the criteria. Metallica, would be a yes on that too. If the JP-2C had a means to drop gain on CH2 or boost gain on CH1 (similar to a tweed setting on the Roadster) it would definitely appeal to more guitarists. It is quite different that the other amps I have or have owned. I can dial in a spongy tone with high gain or change a few settings and it is tight. To get that low gain clarity with a little dirt that you may find with some ACDC or perhaps some southern rock style is a bit of a challenge. I am still making adjustments with the knobs as if I am still auditioning the amp for my use. As it is new, there is not much in terms of tone settings for others to try out. I spend more time creating my own stuff so the JP-2C definitely has won me over and will soon get to recording something....

I will have to look at that video on Mesa website for ideas on amp settings....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYRVjivdGSo

Chester said:
Thanks for the detailed posts Bandit - appreciate you trying to explore if the 2C would suit my needs. I'll hold off buying 'till I can try, but it doesn't sound like it would displace any of my current arsenal

One thing I will say about the JP-2C is Channel 1 is probably the most pedal friendly channel I've ever used. Maybe it's cheating, but a tube screamer really opens up every channel on the amp, and I can get a gritty dirty rock-n-roll sound coaxed out of Channel 1 by slamming the input.

I also have a EBMM Majesty 6 and using the built in boost gets me a nice break up. I can even get close to the Mark V Crunch mode with some judicious use of gain on Channel 2. JP-2C is a more focused amp than the Mark V, which is good and bad. You don't get the versatility, but it's one of the easiest Mesa amps to dial in good tone after good tone. That's not to say it isn't versatile, but it's not 9 amps in one like the Mark V.

Good luck in your amp search!

Choice of words .... good or bad. Perhaps the JP-2C can be versatile, just learning how to get there is the key. While getting used to the amp, I have dialed in on CH2 character that reminds me of songs I have heard, even CH3 has its set of characteristics that is slightly different.

I have tried a Wampler Plexi Deluxe pedal in front of the amp on the Clean channel. So there is that potential to get soft clip tones out of this amp. Now I want to get the flux drive, grid slammer, and throttle box to try out.

Ok,I have to ask: has anyone tried a Friedman BE-OD pedal, and is so, tried it with the JP2C, on the Clean channel?

That might be the best of both worlds, Mesa and Marshall

I was able to coax some clean tones and gritty clean tones out of channel 2 by lowering all the tone controls. The T M B controls add a lot more gain than I'm used to with my V. Try starting with them set at 8 o'clock, gain too, and work from there. That hardwired volume 1 adds a lot of hair and it's tough to clean it up without lowering the tone controls. In my opinion, the amp would be just as versatile as the mark V if they added the extra volume control that was on the original c+. Just as versatile for me anyway, that way you could have easy control of whatever level of gain you're looking for.

Use your volume pot on your guitar for a clean sound on CH2 or CH3. I have two SSS guitars (similar to a Stratocaster) that help as the output from those pickups are not as strong as my humbucker equipped guitars. I have also tried a transparent compressor (Strymon OB.1) on the front end and that sounded great too. I would try the Wampler Ego but that one is noisy. I will give it a shot though.

I really love the clean channel on the JP-2C. So very similar to the Roadster or the RA100 with the exception of not getting dirty. Perhaps some dirt pedals may be required.... I may try to connect the Boss GT-100 to see what works.

Back