Mark V 25w Mini Head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don said:
Well... given my experience with having a DC3 and Studio .22, the Studio can be kinda lacking with the band. It sounds okay but it's being pushed and has considerably less punch than the DC3. It does lead me to believe if 2 x EL84s are enough. I rehearse with the same band with tweed Deluxe and Princeton Reverb clones (both 2 x 6V6GT) and they are both rated at considerably less power than the Studio and get the job done with less fuss (though I don't expect any headroom from either of those amps).

Yup, that's my concern. As the sole guitar player in my band, I need adequate breadth and thump for a broad range of rhythm styles coupled with the tight Boogie overdrive focus needed for lead/solo playing. In my experience, 2 EL84s can provide a great lead tone, but the rhythm sounds tend to lack that nice Fendery clarity and thump in a band setting. The DC-3 does the rhythm stuff extremely well, though I think we agree that the Lead channel leaves us a bit wanting. I guess time will tell...

ryjan said:
dodger916 said:
Sounds like this amp won't work for you.
This about sums it up for a lot of the people complaining about this amp.

"This amp doesn't have a food processor, 8 different midi switchable modes, 3 fx loops, options for 13 tube types, and a unicorn built into it. I can't possible perform my crappy pop rock gig without these options!" :cry:

Some people will never be satisfied.
:lol: :lol: My point exactly, ryjan. I see it kinda like this: if the Mark V was a suped-up version of the Mark series "greatest hits", the V:25 is a scaled-down version of the Mark V's greatest hits, only more portable, less expensive, and better suited for those seeking lower wattage like me....a "poor man's" Mark V, if you will. I think it's a clever idea for an amp, and I truly hope it sounds as good as it sounds (on paper). Though I suspect I'd prefer a 4xEL84 version (or even 2 x 6L6 with triode option), I'll wait for some hands-on playing time before judging.

I can't wait to try this amp!

ryjan said:
dodger916 said:

"This amp doesn't have a food processor, 8 different midi switchable modes, 3 fx loops, options for 13 tube types, and a unicorn built into it. I can't possible perform my crappy pop rock gig without these options!" :cry:

:lol: Probably not. I think it will work great for me. As I am used to single channel Orange and 2 channel Marshalls.

dodger916 said:
ryjan said:
dodger916 said:

:lol: :lol: My point exactly, ryjan. I see it kinda like this: if the Mark V was a suped-up version of the Mark series "greatest hits", the V:25 is a scaled-down version of the Mark V's greatest hits, only more portable, less expensive, and better suited for those seeking lower wattage like me....a "poor man's" Mark V, if you will. I think it's a clever idea for an amp, and I truly hope it sounds as good as it sounds (on paper). Though I suspect I'd prefer a 4xEL84 version (or even 2 x 6L6 with triode option), I'll wait for some hands-on playing time before judging.

I can't wait to try this amp!
Me too.

I was pondering a 2:90 along with the Mini Mark to cover any and all bases. 25 watts for a monitor speaker, two separate 90 watt simul-class channels for live cabs, and then the cab clone for recording/PA reinforcement.

ryjan said:

I can't POSSIBLY perform without a built-in unicorn. Jeez, what were they THINKING? :roll:

Guess I'll go cancel my order. I wonder if they will be able to find anyone who would want my spot...

Four-channel Stereo Mark-tifier(TM) AWAAAAAAAAY!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a Lone Star 1x12 open back cab by its lonesome. I wonder how the Black Shadow speaker would sound with a Mark V 25 head. Either way, I'm going to find out! :D

enigma said:
I have a Lone Star 1x12 open back cab by its lonesome. I wonder how the Black Shadow speaker would sound with a Mark V 25 head. Either way, I'm going to find out! :D

A C-90 should sound fine with the V25, and IIRC, Lonestar cabs are a little bigger than the standard 1x12. I'll bet that cab will sound real good (full and open) with the V25.

dodger916 said:
enigma said:

A C-90 should sound fine with the V25, and IIRC, Lonestar cabs are a little bigger than the standard 1x12. I'll bet that cab will sound real good (full and open) with the V25.

Thanks for chiming in and affirming it. I can't wait to get it soon!

fr0sty said:
My full size V sounds better at low volumes (overdrive stuff) than my mini rec. Both sound great a low volumes clean. Both record great direct. I use a hotplate with both amps. I haven't tried a cab clone, but I like the flexibility of using different speaker impulses rather than just the few options on the CC.

Tanax said:
Most of the time I will want to play through an actual cab but at low volume.
Only rarely I will want to play through headphones. I will want easy recording to computer though without mic so Cab Clone will be needed if Mark V since it doesn't have it built-in.

Glad to hear. Is the hotplate (I assume that's an attenuator?) required for it to sound good at low volumes or will it be fine without it?
How do you record "direct" with the Mark V if not going via a mic?

The hotplate is an attenuator/load box. The V sounds better to my ears using the built in master volume vs using the hotplate for attenuation. Even at tv volumes, the V's master works great. When I record direct, I turn the hotplate on to full (silent) attenuation. Set like this, there is no volumes coming from my speaker cab. I then take the line out from the hotplate into my daw. In the daw I use something called speaker impulses to simulate the sound of a miked cabinet.

Sounds like this: https://soundcloud.com/project-dome/quarter-pounder-final

Good info on speaker impulses at http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2452&sid=6b74b449dc814be59149de83b1295556

Tanax said:
fr0sty said:
My full size V sounds better at low volumes (overdrive stuff) than my mini rec. Both sound great a low volumes clean. Both record great direct. I use a hotplate with both amps. I haven't tried a cab clone, but I like the flexibility of using different speaker impulses rather than just the few options on the CC.

Tanax said:
Most of the time I will want to play through an actual cab but at low volume.
Only rarely I will want to play through headphones. I will want easy recording to computer though without mic so Cab Clone will be needed if Mark V since it doesn't have it built-in.

Glad to hear. Is the hotplate (I assume that's an attenuator?) required for it to sound good at low volumes or will it be fine without it?
How do you record "direct" with the Mark V if not going via a mic?

ryjan said:
dodger916 said:

Sorry, I wasn't aware that "Wow!" "Cool!" "I want that!" were the only acceptable reactions to this amp. But apparently we are in North Korea and everybody who doesn't agree or whose enthusiasm isn't convincing enough will receive public flogging.

Neither I nor many others who didn't think the amp suited their needs, said it was a bad amp or a bad concept. I - and most others - merely pointed out why it wasn't their cup of tea, and the reasons they gave were mostly reasonable. They were nothing like those silly strawman arguments you are listing. Mesa even replied to guys who questioned the tube choice, and IMO their response clarified the issue pretty well.

Face it, this amp, just like any other, simply isn't for everybody. That doesn't mean it isn't a great amp; I'm sure it is. It just means that one size doesn't fit all.

I'd love to see a comparison test between the Mark V 25 and Engl Ironball 20 (20/5/1 watt) head in the near future. I was about to buy an Engl Ironball 20 ($1,199) until this came out. In the past, I've owned more Mesa Boogie amps than any other brands. However, my current Engl Sovereign Vintage 100 has really been my go to versatile amp.

LesPaul70 said:
Sorry, I wasn't aware that "Wow!" "Cool!" "I want that!" were the only acceptable reactions to this amp. But apparently we are in North Korea and everybody who doesn't agree or whose enthusiasm isn't convincing enough will receive public flogging.

Face it, this amp, just like any other, simply isn't for everybody. That doesn't mean it isn't a great amp; I'm sure it is. It just means that one size doesn't fit all.

Agreed. But remember that these few interactions were in response to a poster concluding the amp had an "unfortunately limited feature set", which centered around his perceived need for a pedal because the V:25 didn't have a third channel or solo boost (even though the graphic eq and some creativity could probably solve both). Given this amp's multitude of features in such a small, portable package, I wouldn't describe it as limited, but I guess it's technically not wrong to characterize something that does not have everything we want as being "limited". I don't know of any piece of gear that is "perfect" or could not be improved upon (e.g., I wish my girl had bigger...), so therefore everything has a limited feature set, thus rendering the original comment redundant or moot! Any sarcasm that followed was meant only to underscore the point and hardly rises to the level of a public flogging.

It's not about flogging someone who's not in lock-step love for the amp, and it's perfectly OK for someone not like it. Hell, I don't know if I'll like it, but I'll wait until I actually PLAY it before making any judgments about it.

LesPaul70 said:

Lighten up, Francis. Don't take things so personal.

You have yet to know what suffering is until you have to play live with a Marshall JCM800 2203 where you have to roll the volume back for cleans and throw a pedal in the loop when you solo and dont forget about trying to tame how loud you have to have it in order to sound good.

Some of the best music created was with one channel amps with no solo boost... 60's and 70's and 80's....Musicians today are so spoiled, for crying out loud throw a pedal in the loop for your solo boost or run a pedal into the clean channel for more versatility....

lighten-up-frances_t268.jpg

:D :D

(Not telling anyone to lighten up, just LOVE that movie!)

siggy14 said:
You have yet to know what suffering is until you have to play live with a Marshall JCM800 2203 where you have to roll the volume back for cleans and throw a pedal in the loop when you solo and dont forget about trying to tame how loud you have to have it in order to sound good.

Some of the best music created was with one channel amps with no solo boost... 60's and 70's and 80's....Musicians today are so spoiled, for crying out loud throw a pedal in the loop for your solo boost or run a pedal into the clean channel for more versatility....

Does your 2203 have a loop ? :wink:

siggy14 said:

I play most of my gigs with a clone of a '50s tweed Deluxe. The amp has no real clean sound. Channel switching is when I turn the guitar's volume down for a clean sound or dig in for a more dirt. It's a fun, dynamic way to play. If you're not used to it, it can be tough.
This little 12-14 watt amp comes on like a switch at 1-1/2 on its volume control and is so punchy that it's too loud for some smaller rooms at that level (though it doesn't get much louder, just dirtier)!
deluxe.jpg

Latest posts

Back