Mark IV speaker comparison

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangley

Reaction score
Just got a used Mark IV combo in mint condition for $1050 as a backup to my Mark IV short head.

It was loaded with a custom 90. I happened to have a Thiele 1x12 with a EVM-12L. I also had an Eminence Delta Pro on hand which I had loaded into another Thiele cab (replacing a C90).

The C90 had too much mid range honk in the open back M4 cab and I found it a bit shrill and lacking depth. So I thought I would experiment.

I replaced the C90 with the Delta Pro but found it to be very harsh which was odd because it sounds great in the 1x12. (I actually prefer the delta pro 12A over the EVM-12L in the 1x12 because it is smoother and has a bit more bass.) One more thing, the Delta Pro barely fit in the wide body combo cab. I had to cram it in. One of the power tubes was just touching the magnet.

I then installed the EVM-12L in the Mark IV cab. It was a perfect match for this amp. The tone was very balanced. Palm Mutes were gut wrenching and crystal clear and the pick attack was incredible.

It was clear from this experiment that the speaker alone does not make the tone. The enclosure has much to do with the tone.

I reloaded the Thiele with the C90 from the Mark IV combo. It sounded smoother and deeper in the Theile, but the Delta Pro loaded cab still sounded much better to my ears.

It is a shame that the EVM-12L was discontinued because IMOP it makes the Mark IV combo.

I normally play the short head thru a MB 4x12 Standard Rectifier Cab with V30's. This also sounds great; the 4x12 has more depth, but it is not a punchy as the EVM-12L.

One last thing. I have a Weber beam blocker on the EVM which I find tames some of the highs.

Thanks for the post. I'm about to go through a similar process, as I just bought a Mark IV Widebody/C90 combo on eBay and expect it to arrive within a few days. Just a couple more questions:

Is your combo the widebody or the compact cab? I would expect the tone of a given speaker to differ a bit between the two cab sizes.

You mentioned that you preferred the Delta Pro over the others in the Thiele cab, but what was your impression of the EV-12L vs. the C90 in the Thiele?

Hey Guys,

Good news about the EVM12L, it's back:

http://www.evm12lblacklabel.com

I'm going to be trying out the Eminence Tonkers in my 2X12 pretty soon. I'll be loading them up this weekend and trying them out next week.

I'm a pretty hard core EVM12L fan, but I needed to hear the Tonker hype for myself. I've heard a lot of good things about the Tonkers from some very respectable players.

Of course I'm not doing the heavy stuff you guys are doing, so any favorable review by me may not apply to you.

Chris... 8)

Also check this Thread out over at "The Gear Page":

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114018

Chris... 8)

I have the wide body combo and a short head.

The EVM-12L sounds better that the C90 in the Thiele IMOP which is why I replaced the C90 with a Delta Pro.

I noticed the Black Label EVM has some spec changes, e.g., higher claimed frequency response (80 - 7000Hz versus 80 - 5000Hz). So, I would question if this was the EVM-12L we all know and love, or a new high output speaker from EV? For the money they want for this on Sam Ash, I would not buy it without hearing it first.

mangley,

EV is supposedly going to "reissue" the 200 watt EV that we all love later this year and display it at NAMM.

One of the members over at "The Gear Page" has one, he said that EV is going to call it "The Classic".

Chris

That's good to know. I would like to load my Thiele cabs with the real deal. Hopefully they will be reasonably priced. Thanks for the info.

mangley,

Well if the Tonkers work out for me I'll probably sell the EV's that I have now. Keep you eyes open.

By the way, you can usually find them on Ebay for about 100 bucks.

Later... Chris

Latest posts

Back