Mark IIB

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrapinger

Reaction score
Well I think it's time. Mark IIB is going back to mama. I'm sending my trusty IIb that I've had for 22 years back to Boogie for some TLC and a complete go-through. The EQ's been humming for years and I think it's time she was checked out by the creators.

I'll keep ya posted.

Haven't gotten her out the door yet. It's been nuts in my world lately. One thing after another. Should be able to send her next week. Boogie said it'll take about a month once she's there to get her all tweeked.

Thanks for the interest though. I'm anxious to get that hum zapped its been a distraction from the tone.

Well it's been a while. But I have finally got out Mark IIb packed up and out the door to Mesa. The EQ has been humming quite loudly and the overall performance seems to have degraded over time.

After pulling it apart I did find it's "birthday" written on the bottom 04/27/82.

It was pricey to ship it $68!!!

Ultron said:
where are you shipping from? You ship the chassis only?

South Dakota and yes I shipped only the chassi. I did double box it though and the box was a little over sized.

zodiac272 said:
wow, haha that only took 2 years to pack and ship... you must be very busy!

scott

Yes, I've been kinda busy. Got married last year and well you know.... :lol:

mule#1 said:
Hey post pics of her forget the IIB :D

Seriously though good luck. Im sending my C+ in a few weeks.

I should, she has a nice chassi! :lol:

Good luck with the C+. What are you having done to it?

Scrapinger said:
mule#1 said:

That was funny! I have a wife with a nice little chassis too :lol:

I'm getting new caps and routine maintenance. I was thinking of adding an EQ but decided against it!

Holy Cow!!! Boogie called yesterday and it's done already!!! They must have gotten it and did the work all in the same day. They did a fair amount of replacement of filters and addressed the EQ hum in several ways. It should be here within a week. :D :D

Scrapinger said:
mule#1 said:

Great, you gotta come up for air sometime! haha... I always said I could marry a girl for her chASSis! Eastern europe, brazil, peurto rico usually make some great chassis! But I do love to find the plump hidden gems of chassis made in china, japan, korea, and southeast asia. I also did see a mongolian chassis that was amazing! omg

ok, back to the thread... glad you will get your IIB back soon!

scott

OK, she's back. Got her yesterday and boy oh boy am I glad I sent her in for a tune up!. It's like a brand new amp. Since I have been mainly playing my Mark IV I forgot how good the IIb sounds. The dirty blues or brown sound is magnificent on the clean channel and the lead channel gives just the sweetest classic rock tones. I wish the R2 on the IV sounded like that. It seems dark unless I have the gain up and then it's too much gain for some songs. It's not bad, don't get me wrong, but the IIb just seems bright and alive even at lower gain levels.

In the techs words:
Clean up and service (Gain pots, pulls and pre sockets etc)
Clean and regrease EQ Sliders
Replace Elec filter caps throughout
Fix mid pot
Replace mid and 2 lower EQ band coils w/newer hum buck torroids
Replace power cord
Replace mounting screws

The hum is totally gone and it's as quiet as can be even if I crank it up.

I just had a blast just playing straight through her last night. My wife was amazed when I told her it was just the "small amp" I was playing through. It's amazing how loud that little gal is. Nigh on 30 yrs old and she'll still part your hair at 100 feet! :D

Last night I finally got around to replacing the old Howard fan on my IIB+ (I was raging at how tight it is inside that head....I swear Boogie had Oompa Loompas assembling them :x ). I hooked it up to a Randall 4x12 I just snagged, full of Celestion G12H100s, and hit the lead channel with a SD1 boost (drive at 9am, level dimed, tone at noon)....it was godlike.....seriously badass and heavy.....I'll throw some clips up soon, but holy **** was it heavy and angry.....and this was at settings that still gave me a very good clean channel.

3 best things to make the IIB a metal machine: FX loop mod, 4x12, and boost.

Ultron said:
Last night I finally got around to replacing the old Howard fan on my IIB+ (I was raging at how tight it is inside that head....I swear Boogie had Oompa Loompas assembling them :x ). I hooked it up to a Randall 4x12 I just snagged, full of Celestion G12H100s, and hit the lead channel with a SD1 boost (drive at 9am, level dimed, tone at noon)....it was godlike.....seriously badass and heavy.....I'll throw some clips up soon, but holy sh!t was it heavy and angry.....and this was at settings that still gave me a very good clean channel.

3 best things to make the IIB a metal machine: FX loop mod, 4x12, and boost.

What's the FX loop mod? I've always been disappointed in the loop on the b.

Latest posts

Back