LSS - replace speaker with celestion gold or add ext cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbyrnes77

Reaction score
Advice. What modification will improve the LSS more. Swap the speaker with a celestion gold or add an extension cab. I am looking to improve the bass response with more drive. Less flub.

I added an extension cab and it filled out the bass nicely. What it didn't do was reduce the flub.

IMO, the issue is the C90. I think it's an excellent LEAD speaker, however I could never get a really good rhythm sound out of it. I've tried them with multiple amps and I've concluded that the C90 just isn't my bag.

I replaced the C90s in both my LSS combo and extension cab with a Celestion G12M-25s. Big improvement IMO. It alters the the midrange enough that it removes some of that low mid/upper bass bloat that would make the C90 flub out. The cone breakup is also a nice addition, adding some nice harmonics when driven as well as giving the amp a nice old school crunch when chording.

When I bought the LSS I picked it over the LSC because I liked it's more 'Brit' vibe, and switching the speaker to a Greenback took it that extra step it needed to achieve my tonal goal. I use the combo both with and without the extension cab with good results, although having the second cab obviously produces a fuller sound. I've had zero issues using the 30w LSS with only a single 25w speaker... I'm just careful not to get too crazy with the volume when I don't have the extension cab available.

I can see what you're saying about the c90. When playing chords on channel two with some gain you seem to loose string definition. Although this should come back if you raise the mids.

I tried all variations of treble/mid/bass combos. I even ran it with the mids dimed and the treble/bass off, which is really cool if you're into ZZTop type tones. The only way I could get the definition back was to drop bass, but then the tone sounded thin, particularily in relation to the clean channel. Adding the second cab helped a lot in that it filled out the bottom end more, so I could reduce the bass a bit more without it sounding thin... however at the end of the day I just didn't dig the C90 sound.

The Celestion Gold seems a pretty popular option, although I've never tried it myself. I figured it was more for people looking for the AC30 chime and I was more after the raunchy early Marshall vibe. I mention this because you may not be after the same sound I'm after, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

On a side note, if you're one of those people who bought a Lone Star after seeing the Andy Timmons videos... Andy uses Vintage 30s.

Latest posts

Back