Mesa Thiele cab with mystery speaker

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erick42

Reaction score
Hi,
IMG_0253.jpg

I just bought a Mesa Engineering Thiele 112 Celestion cab used. I wondered if anyone could identify the speaker that it came with.
IMG_0256.jpg

It sounds pretty good, I was surprised. Not a lot of bass, good clean tone... I was planning of swapping different speakers through this cab anyway - so I'm not disappointed by the surprise.

I'm interested in ID'ing this but there's no reference to the part number on Google.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

The current Mesa Thiele cabinet comes standard with their MC90 Black Shadow speaker. Older versions came with the Electro-Voice EVM12L. That speaker is neither.

While I’m not sure what brand speaker that is, I’m confident it is not original to that cabinet.

The magnet is small, I wouldn’t throw too much power at it. Also, the impedance is unknown, do you own a multi-meter to get a coil resistance measurement? Impedance matching to the output transformer is very important with tube amps.

To me it looks like a speaker from a full range consumer grade (stereo) cabinet…

Are there any numbers or letters stamped on the speaker cone?

Dom

Hi,View attachment 2945
I just bought a Mesa Engineering Thiele 112 Celestion cab used. I wondered if anyone could identify the speaker that it came with.View attachment 2944

It sounds pretty good, I was surprised. Not a lot of bass, good clean tone... I was planning of swapping different speakers through this cab anyway - so I'm not disappointed by the surprise.

I'm interested in ID'ing this but there's no reference to the part number on Google.

Thanks!
The speaker is made by a company named Oxford, they were made a lot for Fender amps in the 60s and 70s. That speaker to a Fender guy, is probably decently valuable, probably $100 or so. Dating it is a bit weird, but looks to be the 32nd week of 68, or 78. Good find.

Something with the label does not make much sense. T is 45W peak, so the rms power will be much less than that. The N is not identified in what I can find. In most cases, the Oxford speakers with a T indicated power rating followed by a number for its impedance - x. Not much information available to go with. The 6 means 6 ohms. -1, have no clue.

https://schematicheaven.net/faq/oxford_speaker_history.pdf
Depends on what amp you decide to run with this cabinet. Sell the speaker and replace it with an EVM12L classic or black label. You can also opt for the MC90 which is the original intended speaker for the cabinet. You can buy them direct from Mesa.

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate your efforts!
The 6 isn't 6 ohms, it's probably a random numbering sequence by Oxford. Any garden variety 8 ohm speaker will meter out at 6.3 ohms or so, 8 is considered the " nominal " homage, while the actual 6.3 ohms is considered the DC voice coil resistance. Good place to sell that spkr might be the Fender forums.. Good luck..

Back