LSS Rectifier Tube Problem...or just socket?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshusama

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a LSS and let me begin by saying I know about its capacity to blow rectifiers. In fact, I've been using NOS since day one, and had luck for about 2 years until 5w/15w finally cut out. So I order a new one, put it in, and it everything worked fine...for a couple of hours after which it "dies". That sucks, but I'm able to finish the set in 30w. Strangely, the next day I'm showing my friend the problem and voila, 5w/15w is working again...but then dies after 2 hours. Being a scientist I decide to see if I can replicate my previous observation, and sure enough...I wait a while, it works, then after a bit of playing it dies. I actually went a step further and tested if wiggling the tube when it's dead helps...and it does! Well, for a while. What I'm wondering is whether rectifiers go in and out when they're dying or this is a tube socket issue that's brought on by playing (it's a combo, so it's vibrating obviously). I mean, I'm totally thinking tube socket, but it would be great to get some input on this. If it is the socket, what do you suggest? It's still under warranty...

-Tohn

it could be the tube socket if it comes back alive when you wiggle it around. i have a music man 65 that does the same thing with its power tubes. try to clean up the contacts of the socket (how im not sure)

Contact cleaner from radio shack. Spray it on the tube pins and insert the tube in the socket a few times, repeat a couple of times. This is the procedure given from Eurotubes for cleaning a socket.

Latest posts

Back