Lonestar vs Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrapinger

Reaction score
Hey gang---I've heard of a good deal on a Lonestar 2x12 combo. I've currently have a Mark IV and a Mark IIb. I have been struggling with the Mark IV lately to gt a good classic rock tone. It sounds incredible with high gain or clean, but the R2 channel looses dynamics when the gain is turned down. Also it has a bite to it that is just annoying. I'm not sure if that's the head or the 2x12 recto cab w/ V 30's I am running it through. Anyway, I have not personally played a Lonestar, but have enjoyed the Andy Timmons demos and have heard raves. How different are they from the Mark IV tonewise?

I have never played a Mark IV but the Lonestar does some of the best vintage Fender clean and verge of breakup tones in an amp. I was not happy with the dirty channel till I did the Reeder pot swap mod and then the dirty channel came to life and picks up where the clean channel leaves off. I get more complements on my tone with the lonestar than when I bring out my vintage amps.

The only thing I have bad to say about it is that it weighs a ton..... But I am guessing you are use to that with other Mesa amps

I have a Mk IIa (had a cap job and Bendenelli loop addition) and a Mk IV combo that I turned into a mini stack (1x12" Mesa cabs- one open back one thiele) and a LSS 1x12 combo.
I would keep the Mk IV if I could have only one.
However, I love my LSS. -Only problem is that my LSS has an intermittent problem that makes it unusable for gigging. I can't get it fixed. Toward the end of the fourth set it can start "stuttering".
Like a machine gun kill switch. -end of the show!

Latest posts

Back