Just baught a Coliseum Series 300 Mark IIB need help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of pushing a hard rock amp into the "Metal" zone. I once used a BOSS OD-1 to boost the front end of my 1978 Mark I. I maxed out the LEVEL and eased up the DRIVE until it got "oh so right". Good times, indeed. :shock:

My Mark I had the FX Level mod as well as moving the GEQ after the preamp. Good tone is never easy. :wink:

I'd call them back and ask to speak directly to Mike B from the get go. I was considering doing the III+ mod to my old blue stripe and called and just asked for Mike right away. Talked to him about half an hour and we talked a lot about the pros and cons of such a mod as well as the amp in general. Answered all my questions and never made it feel like an inconvenience.

And unfortunately, tone wise, out of the box a IIB isn't capable of doing that kind of high gain that that C's and III's do. But, if you goose it with the right pedals, you can definitely get there. At one point, I believe Mesa used to offer a conversion of A/B to C but they don't even have those boards anymore. At least that's what Mike B told me if I remember correctly.

Pearce117 said:
Okay well I gave Mesa a call and I have to say I was told that there is no volume mod that they do on there amps. Infact I felt like I was mocked buy the guy when I asked him. He told me who ever said that had no idea what they where talking about. Then he asked me who told me they did that because they never have... :shock: Not a good phone call at all.

The FX Mod is $300 and what ever needs done on top of that will be extra. ...
maybe we mislead you about the 'volume mod.' The FX Mod (I think) is the volume mod I'm talking about. Say you don't use any effect through the effect loop. The effect mod includes a 'new' pot in the back that does something like attenuator / overall volume control thing, that I mentioned.

Hope this clear things up. :wink:

RR said:
Pearce117 said:
Okay well I gave Mesa a call and I have to say I was told that there is no volume mod that they do on there amps. Infact I felt like I was mocked buy the guy when I asked him. He told me who ever said that had no idea what they where talking about. Then he asked me who told me they did that because they never have... :shock: Not a good phone call at all.

The FX Mod is $300 and what ever needs done on top of that will be extra. ...
maybe we mislead you about the 'volume mod.' The FX Mod (I think) is the volume mod I'm talking about. Say you don't use any effect through the effect loop. The effect mod includes a 'new' pot in the back that does something like attenuator / overall volume control thing, that I mentioned.

Hope this clear things up. :wink:

pretty sure the FX loop mod is different. I think the FX loop mod changes where the loop signal joins the preamp signal.

scott

The effects loop mod also moves the reverb and works much better on BOTH channels.
ALSO..It adds another volume pot on the back of the amp which helps alot to tame down the volume without affecting tone.

dino1sf said:
The effects loop mod also moves the reverb and works much better on BOTH channels.
ALSO..It adds another volume pot on the back of the amp which helps alot to tame down the volume without affecting tone.
THANKS dino1st confirming what I was trying to say! :wink: I love shouting.

Does fx loop mod utilize a tube stage for gain instead of for the loop, disconnecting the loop? If not, would something like that be feasible on a IIB for added gain? It's missing a tube gain stage the IIC-V have, for the lead ch, correct?
BTW, Ozzy's Speak of the Devil is twin IIB combos with a chorus stereo pedal in front, I've heard. EPIC TONE. Epic playing by Brad Gillis. METAL. :twisted:

Latest posts

Back