• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toThe Boogie Board and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Is this the Real Thing or Not??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdortona

Reaction score
What do you guys think? Is this the real thing or BS? I have no clue :lol:

Matt

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MESA-BOOGIE-MARK-SNAKESKIN-CIRCA-1971-72-ONE-FIRST-/160656268385?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2996221432458305139

The snakeskin looks legit. I have an old catalog from when I bought my Mark IIIs new that has a photo of a Mark I with the same covering.
I'd want gut shots for sure.
If it's in such good shape, it's probably not been played a lot and surely needs a cap job, at least.
But, you know what they say: If it seems too good to be true ...

It looks kosher to me. But then again 71 was before my time. Based on the sellers feedback this looks like something they found in a closet or at an estate sale and had an "oh s$%t" moment. However; for that price I would want a return guarantee pending authentication. The one thing I did notice was the logo. I have never seen a Mesa logo like that on vintage Mesa amps. But then again, 71 was before my time. Personally for that price I would take a drive and kick the tires.

A serious buyer would really want to call Mesa on this one. no serial #? Is the gold chassis color right? I would think it would have been a combo, but maybe somebody chopped it down to a head. The mesa logo looks ok on the face plate. Gut shots are a must

scott

I think I'll offer $4000 and a copy of my death certificate (after my wife finds out) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Matt

I just sent the following message to the seller:

"Hello,
What year was this amp refurbished, and was it done by a Mesa Certified Tech? It is obvious that is not the original cabinet, and the chassis has been repainted gold which is not original as well. Also, the rear of the chassis is not consistent with the Mark I's of that era. Also, I have been playing/researching Mark series amps for quite some time and have never seen mention of "Plexi" style faceplates. As a matter of fact, I believe Randall Smith was doing the faceplate silkscreening himself on the first Mark I's."

I'll post the reply, if I even get one.

Dom

Well, I got a reply, it was simply:

"All original amplifier...."

That is highly doubtful. There is no way the cabinet is original, as well as the gold painted chassis.

Stay away my fellow Boogie Boarders!

Dom

I don't think rear finned heat sinks came around until much later.
AFAIK, the only Mark Is that have them are the reissues, and not the very late ones, at that.
The tolex is accurate for the time period. It may have been duplicated or re-done, but it's not an anachronism. There are photos in old Boogie catalogs of cabs which look exactly like this one.
The chassis is not gold, it's just a photographic artifact of warm lighting. In the photo taken from the side (#9), the chassis is back to normal dull silver.

domct203 said:
Well, I got a reply, it was simply:

"All original amplifier...."

That is highly doubtful. There is no way the cabinet is original, as well as the gold painted chassis.

Stay away my fellow Boogie Boarders!

Dom

for someone trying to sell a high dollar amp, that's a lame reply. Did original boogies only have 2 taps?

The chassis does look similar color to the zinc(?) plated Mark II 60 watt. look at the contrast between the silver taps and the chassis. Even from the front, I can kind of see the gold color through the space next to the on/off switch.

it could be real, but gut shots are a must

scott

mdortona said:
What do you guys think? Is this the real thing or BS? I have no clue :lol:

Matt

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MESA-BOOGIE-MARK-SNAKESKIN-CIRCA-1971-72-ONE-FIRST-/160656268385?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2996221432458305139

Real or not, it's a Mark I. No way in hell I'm paying that kinda coin for a Mark I......may only be valuable to a collector, which I am not. :roll:

... real thing ... 8)

IMG_1328.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg

thanx ! sounds very MK1, which as an MKIIC+ addict is nice for a change ... :D ... can't make out too much difference to my other MK1 ...

IMG_1061.jpg

... but I guess thats typical for these. really curious though on if there is an earlier 100 watt boogie head in existence ... if not the first, it has to be one of the first. the Jackson V is serial J0001 btw ... log'd for KK Downing of Judas Priest, went to Jay Reynolds of Malice and then Robbin Crosby of RATT. really old school heavy metal ... :wink:

... acc. to MB appears to be completely untouched original inside ... :D ... he was kind enough to check out all the gut pics prior purchase. trying to get a hold of RCS now to find out more about its history and serial number 003 000 (or something like that). history as I understand so far is that it was ordered / built 71 / 72 acc. to the original owner, which would fit on the timeline, but I've not seen another head (not combo) yet. it appears to be between the old 130 lead or bass heads, although with the regular style angles on the top sides and not just square and with the front panel of the regular snake MK1 boogies. check this out for reference:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2007/Sep/A_Mesa_Boogie_History.aspx

snake tolex (top and sides), black bottom tolex, white trim, plastic front panel, power cord, etc. all appear entirely legit and do show their amount of typical wear.

hey ... huge thanx ! yes, I feel very happy for having gotten it ... :D ... what keeps on striking me is the sheer simplicity of the layout with 2 inputs, volume, master, treble, middle, bass, level and a boost / normal switch for wattage. pretty much reduced to the max and this 40 years ago ... goes to show how ahead of times they were allready then.

I'm glad a forum member grabbed this amp up! Congratulations, bigmouth! I saved all the original pictures from his ebay listing, btw if anyone wants me to post them (or bigmouth) to keep history of this amp intact. It's a great piece of Mesa history!

bigmouth has a collection that would make RCS envious! congrats! how are your EV-12L's looking these days... did you get that mess sorted out?

scott

lol ... na, I don't think RCS would be envious, but happy to see that people appreciate his legacy ... :wink: ... yeah, the EV mess seems to have been sorted out. speakers trashed and cab got overhauled by the master skinner ... :D

Latest posts

Back