Inbuilt EQ vs external EQ

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paw

Reaction score
I'm currently on the look for a mark iic+, and would like it to have both EQ and Simul-class, which is a bit of a hassle to find these days. The question is if an external EQ, like a pedal of some kind, will do the job as good as an inbuilt EQ? If so I may wanna go for a Simul-class and just slam a pedal in front of it. What is the (tonal) difference of putting a pedal in front of the amp or in the loop? Any opinions?

Thanks guys:)

This is a subjective opinion (regarding the EQ, not my opinion per say).

In the loop, you will be eqing the distortion. The tone has been created and you are then altering it greatly. In front of the loop, you are altering the eq of your guitar, thus altering the natural sound of your guitar. Most people agree it sounds best when in the loop. If you get really good at eqing, you can do both and alter the distortion and the guitar. (ask Chris McKinsley)

As for the C+ question, that's where most of the subjectivity comes in. The C+, or any Mesa eq in fact, is very audiophile in quality. It's excellent! Furthermore, the frequencies Mesa chooses are unique to Mesa alone, giving them a bit of a signature tone. There are others who have owned amps with and without eq and believe they can get so close with an external eq that it is not worth the cost to buy the EQ C+. (ask danyeo). So this is where you need to see how valuable the EQ is to you. Is close enough good enough? Or are you obsessed and need the real deal? (I unfortunately fall in the latter group, which hurts my wallet).

When I first got my C+, I thought an external EQ could do the trick, but then I learned all the stuff I just wrote above and have been looking to sell my Simul ever since, but have had 0 luck with the economy, not to mention that people nowadays only want EQ amps.

Also, it should be noted that the tone stack in a Mark-series amp comes before the distortion, so placing an EQ in front of the amp is a bit redundant.

And I should know - I use an EQ pedal in front of ALL of my amps except for my Mark III and Studio Pre.

dont know. but be sure you really need that eq. it was the selling point for me on a mark iv but now i dont even use it. mesa can install an eq so ive heard

fatoni said:
dont know. but be sure you really need that eq. it was the selling point for me on a mark iv but now i dont even use it. mesa can install an eq so ive heard

They can, but on a C+ you'll lose the original faceplate and receive a mark3 faceplate. It's all they got left.

Ahh! Thanks for the replies guys. All very helpful. I almost got a great deal on an original c+ combo with export transformer, EQ, simul-class & reverb (EV speaker), but some guy with too much money ruined the whole deal:( Well, guess I just have to keep on looking:)

Latest posts

Back