I took your advice and added a 2x12 rec cab to my ROV. pics

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yohimbe2

Reaction score
Many here have highly recommended the addition of the 2x12 cab to improve the sound of my RoV. I finally found one on the used market.

I havent really had much of a chance to fire this up yet, but after a few minutes of A/B swapping the standard speaker with the new cab, I'm not hearing a huge differnce. I'll have to try them both together.

DSC_003334.jpg

DSC_0012-3.jpg

wow vinyl chair too,i would think the 2 12 would be much better,anyhow thats a creepy pic :?

Any way that you can use both speakers (as in, the 2x12 AND the 12" in the combo) with the ROV? Might open up the sound a bit more.

mrd said:
Any way that you can use both speakers (as in, the 2x12 AND the 12" in the combo) with the ROV? Might open up the sound a bit more.

Yes, I just got done hooking them both up together. (two 4ohm taps). Things are sounding very different now. I'll have to play with it a bit more.

For the hell of if, I fired up the channel two vintage with tons of gain. WOW! I would have loved this when I was a kid. What great metal sounds.

Tommorow I'll fire up clean channels with a strat to see how my sound has changed.

fireonhigh said:
wow vinyl chair too,i would think the 2 12 would be much better,anyhow thats a creepy pic :?

No vinyl there. The chair is leather. (my listening chair)

Maybe I should delete that pic. I dont know you guys that well yet.

Volume will really bring out that 2x12. I always prefered running the combo speaker and the cab when I had MY ROV.

The ROV went and I kept the 2x12. Great cab.

clutch71 said:
Volume will really bring out that 2x12. I always prefered running the combo speaker and the cab when I had MY ROV.

The ROV went and I kept the 2x12. Great cab.

How different is your new amp from the RoV? Did you buy it for more power?

The Dual offered a couple of things that the ROV didn't. Tube rectifiers that I now use almost all the time. Channel Assignable loop. Bias switch, I had a series one and it wasn't offered. No delay when switching channels. Some of the older series 1, like mine, had this problem.

I do miss the reverb (even though it's not the best IMO) and the break up it had at lower levels. The 100w I think adds to the bass response and man does it sound good cranked. The ROV is a great amp and I'm glad it was my first Boogie but there was no real point in keeping it as they are very similar.

I think the solo 50 and the ROV are two of the most overlooked amp in the rectifier lineage. It's a great economical start to find out if a rectifier is the amp for you.

If your not running an OD out front I highly recommend you try it. I run a TS808 and would have loved to know what that pedal would have done for my ROV.

clutch71 said:
The Dual offered a couple of things that the ROV didn't. Tube rectifiers that I now use almost all the time. Channel Assignable loop. Bias switch, I had a series one and it wasn't offered. No delay when switching channels. Some of the older series 1, like mine, had this problem.

I do miss the reverb (even though it's not the best IMO) and the break up it had at lower levels. The 100w I think adds to the bass response and man does it sound good cranked. The ROV is a great amp and I'm glad it was my first Boogie but there was no real point in keeping it as they are very similar.

I think the solo 50 and the ROV are two of the most overlooked amp in the rectifier lineage. It's a great economical start to find out if a rectifier is the amp for you.

If your not running an OD out front I highly recommend you try it. I run a TS808 and would have loved to know what that pedal would have done for my ROV.

Man you hit the nail right on the head ! I restrung an old kramer tonight (double coil pickups) and fired up my Mesa in high gain territory using a Visual sounds Route 66. (ts-808 equivalent). It was INSANE ! I havent had this much fun in a while. I now see the value of the cabinet. High volume/high gain music is night and day with the cabinet. I was laughing like a crazed lunatic the whole time and even played an old mettallica song I remember from my younger days. I was a bit ashamed to be playing music like this with the neighbors listening, but who the hell cares what they think anyways?

Did I miss something when I bought this amp? My guess is that this one was made by mesa for the metal heads? I bought it for its blues sounds. (raw and pushed with low gain and a strat) but dam it shines with nuclear crunch distortion.

I really love this amp. For those that recommended the cabinet, thanks !

yohimbe2 said:
Did I miss something when I bought this amp? My guess is that this one was made by mesa for the metal heads? I bought it for its blues sounds. (raw and pushed with low gain and a strat) but dam it shines with nuclear crunch distortion.

I really love this amp. For those that recommended the cabinet, thanks !

This is what I love of this amp! it is good for blues sounds and for the metalheads !

If you play at moderate house level:

Try to tilt your 2x12(or put it on a shelf) so the cone of the spreaker aims at your chest, at a distance of six foot minimum.

flieger67 said:
Nice old Kramer, by the way. Are the pickups Schallers or something else?

Cool that someone noticed one of the REAL Kramers. The pickups are are original. (No idea what they are) Whatever pickups the "C" series pacers came with this old kramer still has. It sounds and plays incredible.

I bought this from a friend in the mid 80's. I quit playing the guitar and put this in a closet for close to 20 years. Just recently, I began playing again and I purchased my first tube amp. The Rectoverb. It's great to be playing again ! If only I could have afforded tube amps when I was younger. I'd still be playing.

My main guitar at the moment is a Fender Strat deluxe "v" neck. I mainly play the blues with a single coil guitar, but it sure is fun to relive my youth with the ROV/Kramer.

Latest posts

Back